Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Grindhouse: Planet Terror and Death Proof BLU-RAYS 12/16/08

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Grindhouse: Planet Terror and Death Proof BLU-RAYS 12/16/08

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My steelbook import of The Mist has an insert that says that Grindhouse double feature is coming to blu-ray with Fake trailers in 2009.This will be a senator production.

EDIT: It appears it will be a steelbook as well.
Old 11-11-08, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by mikewendt
Just an FYI, Starz has been running the Theatrical Cut of Grindhouse... With trailers and intermission ads.

Last Thurs. it was on the HD station. I think the next time it's on is 11/15... Just saying.
It's also available streaming from Netflix, if you don't mind watching it in SD.
Old 11-11-08, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As great as it would be to have the theatrical cut, and I hate to be against a lot of people's opinions, but I think the Grindhouse experience was only something that could possibly be done in the theater. It just wouldn't be the same on home video.

Regardless, I will buy any incarnation of it, and these Blu-rays are top priorities on my Christmas list.
Old 11-12-08, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
As great as it would be to have the theatrical cut, and I hate to be against a lot of people's opinions, but I think the Grindhouse experience was only something that could possibly be done in the theater. It just wouldn't be the same on home video.
Technically, the true "grindhouse" experience requires you to watch the double-bill in a run down theater in a bad part of town that smells of piss and has scary people doing drugs and masterbating in the rows around you. Watching it in a modern, clean & comfy stadium seating theater doesn't qualify.

I have the Japanese DVD box set, and watching the movies at home with the intended double-bill and fake trailers works just fine. Individually, each of these movies is just a stupid piece of crap. They're only worth watching together.
Old 11-12-08, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Technically, the true "grindhouse" experience requires you to watch the double-bill in a run down theater in a bad part of town that smells of piss and has scary people doing drugs and masterbating in the rows around you. Watching it in a modern, clean & comfy stadium seating theater doesn't qualify.

I have the Japanese DVD box set, and watching the movies at home with the intended double-bill and fake trailers works just fine. Individually, each of these movies is just a stupid piece of crap. They're only worth watching together.
Holy crap, man -- just what goes on in your home theater?? And to think it looks so clean and wholesome in your pictures!

Old 11-12-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,264 Likes on 842 Posts
Individually, each of these movies is just a stupid piece of crap. They're only worth watching together.

Really? I enjoyed both films and I watched them separately. Your statement is a bit silly.
Old 11-12-08, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JoshZ
Individually, each of these movies is just a stupid piece of crap.
Originally Posted by eXcentris
I enjoyed both films and I watched them separately.
These two quotes aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. I think the movies are both dumber than a sack of hammers, but they're still fun to watch.
Old 11-12-08, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
I can't imagine watching Planet Terror on its own. Death Proof, maybe.
Old 11-13-08, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Technically, the true "grindhouse" experience requires you to watch the double-bill in a run down theater in a bad part of town that smells of piss and has scary people doing drugs and masterbating in the rows around you.
Wow, you just described my home theater! Have you been to my house before?
Old 11-15-08, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm happy with my grindhouse box from japan. I'd bite on hd versions if they would actually release them cleaned-up with the scratches removed and the missing scenes/reels placed back in. Crazy, I know.
Old 11-15-08, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watched Grindhouse earlier this year in HD recorded via tivo at a friends place. It was fun seeing the original version again, and I still think the films play together best in 'cut' theatrical form. The extended versions were no fun at all and just dragged in many spots(especially Death Proof..which flows well in shorter form actually, after seeing the bloated 2 hour version).

So I'd game for a release of Grindhouse to enjoy again. I won't watch it often, but once in awhile, it would be fun to revisit.
Old 12-03-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Planet Terror Review at DVDBeaver.

I didn't plan on getting this, but being able to watch it scratch free looks pretty cool.
Old 12-03-08, 07:22 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The "scratch free" version looks very clean (obviously), but a bit too much DNR/EE appears to be applied to it. I'm going to take a closer look at it later this weekend. Great flick though.
Old 12-03-08, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I vowed not to rebuy a lot of things I already have on DVD, yet the only two BR titles I own I have on DVD too.

That being said, I may bite on a BR theatrical version of Grindhouse, but I don't think I will buy the individual releases any time soon.

That cleaned up version looks good, but it defeats the whole feel of the movie.

Last edited by Snowmaker; 12-03-08 at 07:38 PM.
Old 12-03-08, 07:49 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
I vowed not to rebuy a lot of things I already have on DVD, yet the only two BR titles I own I have on DVD too.

That being said, I may bite on a BR theatrical version of Grindhouse, but I don't think I will buy the individual releases any time soon.

That cleaned up version looks good, but it defeats the whole feel of the movie.
There is no BR "Grindhouse" film. Its either Planet Terror and/or Death Proof. Both Unrated and Extended. As it stands, there would be no way to get both PT/DP on the same disc (Grindhouse style) because both would be far more then 50GB of space.

I don't think there is even a DVD set of the both together in Region 1.

There is, however, a HD DVD version of Death Proof out there...so gonna be mine!
Old 12-03-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
There is no BR "Grindhouse" film. Its either Planet Terror and/or Death Proof. Both Unrated and Extended. As it stands, there would be no way to get both PT/DP on the same disc (Grindhouse style) because both would be far more then 50GB of space.

I don't think there is even a DVD set of the both together in Region 1.

There is, however, a HD DVD version of Death Proof out there...so gonna be mine!
They could fit it all on one disc, as it was 191 minutes. Both parts of the film as it played in theaters were shorter, while the individual disc releases were extended. I don't think anyone is expecting both to be extended and run together. Of course, the extras would be on a separate disc as well.
Old 12-03-08, 08:10 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Drexl
They could fit it all on one disc, as it was 191 minutes. Both parts of the film as it played in theaters were shorter, while the individual disc releases were extended. I don't think anyone is expecting both to be extended and run together. Of course, the extras would be on a separate disc as well.
I wouldn't count on that for a while. Weinstein has a HD DVD catalog to catch up on plus their new releases.
Old 12-03-08, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wouldn't count on that for a while. Weinstein has a HD DVD catalog to catch up on plus their new releases.
Top of the page says it's coming out next year.
Old 12-03-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't to hear the roaring car engine from Death Proof in lossless audio.
Old 12-03-08, 08:49 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Top of the page says it's coming out next year.
Top of what page? Link?
Old 12-03-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Top of what page? Link?
Yeah, yeah, details, details

Top post on this page
My steelbook import of The Mist has an insert that says that Grindhouse double feature is coming to blu-ray with Fake trailers in 2009.This will be a senator production.
Old 12-03-08, 09:13 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Yeah, yeah, details, details

Top post on this page
Its not the top page in my forum settings

But yeah, thats cool...but it will be an import from Senator and not available in the US (and possibly region coded). Two totally different studios and (most likely) two different encodes.

I'm getting Death Proof on HD DVD so I will compare it to the BD when it arrives.

I'll gladly import it though when its release.
Old 12-03-08, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I might get Death Proof. I may be in the minority but I enjoyed Death Proof far more than Planet Terror.
Old 12-04-08, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I might get Death Proof. I may be in the minority but I enjoyed Death Proof far more than Planet Terror.
Possibly. I am the exact opposite. My initial reaction after getting out of my theater seat when I first saw this, was turning in disbelief and going "What the hell happened to QT, that sucked."

Planet Terror is just a fun meaningless zombie romp, which I surprisingly enjoyed even though I am not even remotely a horror genre fan and likely missed a ton of genre in-jokes.

Death Proof, which I enjoyed more upon repeat, stand-alone DVD viewing was just QT masturbating over himself (seriously, all the self-references was out of control) and then doing his version of Vanishing Point at the end. Being a Tarantino completist though, I may pick up the BD nevertheless. Maybe it'll get better upon a third viewing? The horrible female dialogue in part 2 of Death Proof grates on my nerves slightly less with each viewing. Still the worst QT film IMO.
Old 12-04-08, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.