DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   HD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk-55/)
-   -   Grindhouse: Planet Terror and Death Proof BLU-RAYS 12/16/08 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/538629-grindhouse-planet-terror-death-proof-blu-rays-12-16-08-a.html)

Mr. Cinema 08-28-08 04:43 PM

Grindhouse: Planet Terror and Death Proof BLU-RAYS 12/16/08

The Digital Bits:

Genius will finally release Planet Terror and Death Proof on Blu-ray Disc on 12/16 (SRP $28.95). Extras, however, appear to be identical to the prevoius DVD editions.

----------

Looks like separate releases and not the full version with the trailers. That sucks. The premium channels have been showing the full theatrical version, which I now have on DVR. I guess I'll be keeping that for quite some time.

GoldenJCJ 08-28-08 04:51 PM

I've already got the two 3-disc steelbooks of each film. I think I'm content with those for now.

I'll hold off buying these in hopes that the full theatrical cut will eventually make it to Blu-ray.

Supermallet 08-28-08 04:56 PM

What the fuck is taking the Weinsteins so long to release all this Tarantino content? For Kill Bill TWBA, and now the theatrical version of Grindhouse. The THEATRICAL version hasn't yet been released on home video in America. What the fuck?

Zen Peckinpah 08-28-08 04:59 PM

Theatrical cuts or not, these'll be high on my Christmas list.

Moopher 08-28-08 05:02 PM

I love these movies, but with the way planet terror was meant to look, I'll just be waiting for reviews perhaps.

Josh-da-man 08-28-08 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 8902127)
What the fuck is taking the Weinsteins so long to release all this Tarantino content? For Kill Bill TWBA, and now the theatrical version of Grindhouse. The THEATRICAL version hasn't yet been released on home video in America. What the fuck?

It does indeed suck.

Picked up both PT and DP on DVD for about seven-eight bucks each. Also bought Kill Bill I and II on DVD for a combined total of ten dollars. I have no desire to purchase any of these on BR at this point.

When they get around to doing the KB:TWBA and the GH double feature, we'll talk. But until then, they can KMA.

Gizmo 08-28-08 05:21 PM

Someone needs to explain this to me...

Kill Bill 1 and 2 are owned by Disney.

Yet Kill Bill TWBA is owned by Weinstein (I know they left and formed their own studio)? Is it just both movies cut together (Ive never seen either film before)?

EThey gave me 1408, Halloween and Diary of the Dead. So far I'm pretty happy with them.

Chrisedge 08-28-08 05:43 PM

I have all three (Grindhouse, PT and DP) capped in HD, they can suck balls until they release "Grindhouse" in HD/BR

DeanoBKN 08-28-08 06:03 PM

The trick is to get everybody to buy the first release, they pony up some more cash for the double dip down the line. ;)

mdc3000 08-28-08 06:06 PM

I want the theatrical cut, but I can't say no to these releases...owned.

Rogue588 08-28-08 08:52 PM

Quoth Van Halen:

"I'll Wait".

Josh Z 08-28-08 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD (Post 8902196)
Someone needs to explain this to me...

Kill Bill 1 and 2 are owned by Disney.

Yet Kill Bill TWBA is owned by Weinstein (I know they left and formed their own studio)?

Correct.

Is it just both movies cut together (Ive never seen either film before)?
Well, it needs to be noted that "The Whole Bloody Affair" has never been released anywhere. Most of what we know about it has been gathered from rumors and little pieces of information cobbled together from various sources.

Without spoiling anything, TWBA is essentially the two movies cut together, with one sequence that's black & white in the theatrical version presented in full color. There may be other small changes, but it doesn't sound like there's any major differences other than that.

Nevertheless, for copyright purposes, "Kill Bill: The Whole Bloody Affair" is a separate entity than either "Kill Bill, Vol. 1" or "Kill Bill, Vol. 2". That's why Weinstein can own TWBA while Disney owns the other two.

Giles 08-28-08 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by mdc3000 (Post 8902310)
I want the theatrical cut, but I can't say no to these releases...owned.

I agree, sold!

applesandrice 08-28-08 11:21 PM

A couple of months ago I bought previously viewed copies of the Blockbuster single-disc versions for, like, $3 total. That'll do fine until they decide to get serious and release something really special.

Giles 08-28-08 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by applesandrice (Post 8902860)
A couple of months ago I bought previously viewed copies of the Blockbuster single-disc versions for, like, $3 total. That'll do fine until they decide to get serious and release something really special.

I think if we wait for some uber edition of Grindhouse let alone Kill Bill, we'll all be dead and buried at that point.

HumanMedia 08-28-08 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 8902633)
Correct.

Well, it needs to be noted that "The Whole Bloody Affair" has never been released anywhere. Most of what we know about it has been gathered from rumors and little pieces of information cobbled together from various sources.

Without spoiling anything, TWBA is essentially the two movies cut together, with one sequence that's black & white in the theatrical version presented in full color. There may be other small changes, but it doesn't sound like there's any major differences other than that.

Dont forget there is a new anime sequence added also. This was confirmed by Uma as she recorded extra dialog for it earlier this year.

HumanMedia 08-29-08 12:05 AM

So, in regards to the theatrical Grindhouse.

I never actually saw it, only the two extended halves.

On the DVD for Planet Terror there are a bunch of mock 'trailers'. I am assuming that there are some on the Death Proof disc as well.

So are these trailers on the DVD the exact trailers shown with the theatrical version, or were there more/different ones?

And if they are the same trailers and since the blu-ray has identical content to the DVD, wont we be getting all of the content in the theatrical Grindhouse, except that it is divided over two discs, and extended versions?

GenPion 08-29-08 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by HumanMedia (Post 8902925)
So, in regards to the theatrical Grindhouse.

I never actually saw it, only the two extended halves.

On the DVD for Planet Terror there are a bunch of mock 'trailers'. I am assuming that there are some on the Death Proof disc as well.

So are these trailers on the DVD the exact trailers shown with the theatrical version, or were there more/different ones?

And if they are the same trailers and since the blu-ray has identical content to the DVD, wont we be getting all of the content in the theatrical Grindhouse, except that it is divided over two discs, and extended versions?

Unfortunately, No. And what do you mean multiple trailers? I only recall the Machete trailer being included on the Planet Terror DVD.

rfduncan 08-29-08 07:46 AM

For Kill Bill TWBA, and now the theatrical version of Grindhouse. The THEATRICAL version hasn't yet been released on home video in America. What the fuck?

Ah and there is where salvation may rest. If Grindhouse the theatrical version is released in another region on Blu-ray, then off to Amazon.uk I will go to import the non-region encoded version! ;)

Yavin 08-29-08 08:16 AM

I already have the 2-disc R1 steelbook editions of Planet Terror and Death Proof, in a Best Buy exclusive Grindhouse collector box that houses both releases. I'll hold off on the Blu-ray until they release the theatrical cut as well, as I can't continue to justify double-dipping on titles I already own.

orangerunner 08-29-08 12:41 PM

I already have the DVD of these two films, what's the advantage of buying the Blu-Ray version?

Didn't Tarantino & Rodriguez go to painstaking lengths to make these movies look like crappy 70's flicks? Why would you bother spending an addtional $50-$60 on a Hi-Def version for a better picture?

No extra features, I would hope they would at least add some of the much talked about deleted scenes from Death Proof that we saw very briefly in the Grindhouse trailers.

I can understand buying the full Grindhouse which has been unavailable.

I sound like a broken record but studios really have to give people a much more compelling reason to switch to Blu-Ray.

Oliver Clothesoff 08-29-08 12:45 PM

I might grab these if I can dump my individual steel sets for close to Amazon's cost on the blu-rays; otherwise, I'll hold off till the theatrical version's released.

clckworang 08-29-08 01:13 PM

I never purchased these on DVD, and even if the full theatrical version was released, I would still want the extended versions of these films (which I haven't seen). So, needless to say, I will be purchasing both. But I might wait on ordering the Japanese boxset now.

Adam Tyner 08-29-08 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by orangerunner (Post 8903997)
Didn't Tarantino & Rodriguez go to painstaking lengths to make these movies look like crappy 70's flicks? Why would you bother spending an addtional $50-$60 on a Hi-Def version for a better picture?

...because they're a better looking representation of crappy '70s flicks than the DVD? :) I watched Grindhouse in high-def on Starz-HD, and the difference was pretty considerable, believe it or not.

No extra features, I would hope they would at least add some of the much talked about deleted scenes from Death Proof that we saw very briefly in the Grindhouse trailers.

...but if we're talking about the same scenes, those are in these extended cuts. This isn't Grindhouse split in two -- both movies are a good bit longer.

Also, there are extras. They're just a rehash of the extras from the DVDs.

Josh Z 08-29-08 02:02 PM

They added fake nicks and scratches to simulate the experience of beat-up 35mm film prints, but that has nothing to do with the resolution of the image.

I'd like to see those nicks and scratches and everything behind them in the best clarity that I can, thank you very much.