Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Metropolis (KINO)

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Metropolis (KINO)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-10, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Metropolis (KINO)

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
I just wish German inter-titles were at least an option.
Kino never used original language inter-titles. Yet another aspect in which MoC consistently bests them.
Old 12-01-10, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The old DVD's audio commentary was pretty bad. Mostly narration about what's happening on screen.... pass, go for the new Masters Of Cinema commentary. The only problem with that might be that it sounds like Kalat and Rosenbaum are in the toilet together....
Old 12-01-10, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 269 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Last night I watched a little bit of the MoC and saw a scene with women dancing in very sheer tops. I thought it was interesting to see nudity in such an old film. Great restoration work done on the film as well.
Nudity and semi-nudity were actually very common in the early days of cinema. It was all that licentiousness that brought about the introduction of the Hays Code in 1930.
Old 12-01-10, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Nudity and semi-nudity were actually very common in the early days of cinema. It was all that licentiousness that brought about the introduction of the Hays Code in 1930.
True. It was a first for me though, I've seen a number of silent films and can't recall seeing any nudity previously.
Old 12-02-10, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,065 Likes on 748 Posts

Received my MOC dual format today. I found a great utility called Blu-ray Region Tray Tool that lets you switch between regions, and it works perfectly!

I'm really loving this BD. The noticeable degradation in image quality for the new scenes doesn't bother me in the least.

The only thing I didn't like is that one of the clips that holds the booklet in the case broke during shipping. Things like that always seem to happen to specialized cases.
Old 12-02-10, 12:54 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Received my MOC dual format today. I found a great utility called Blu-ray Region Tray Tool that lets you switch between regions, and it works perfectly!

I'm really loving this BD. The noticeable degradation in image quality for the new scenes doesn't bother me in the least.

The only thing I didn't like is that one of the clips that holds the booklet in the case broke during shipping. Things like that always seem to happen to specialized cases.
whoa whoa whoa...explain that to me please. Cuz you got my fucking attention.
Old 12-02-10, 01:08 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,223 Likes on 867 Posts

It's a software hack for PowerDVD and ArcSoft. Looks like it just changes the "BDregion" info in a .ini file. When the region is changed that way, as opposed to using PowerDVD or ArcSoft's menus to change the region, it seems like it no longer adheres to the whole "You can only change your region 5 times" policy.
Old 12-02-10, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,065 Likes on 748 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
whoa whoa whoa...explain that to me please. Cuz you got my fucking attention.
Hopefully I'm not going to disappoint you, but it's for PC BD drives. In my case, I'm running PowerDVD. I just right-click on the tray tool and choose the region I want to play, and then run PowerDVD and play my BD.

I found it on avsforum.

I'd love to have something for my standalone player or my PS3, but this lets me watch what I want via my PC which is hooked up to my TV.

*edit* Like SomethingMore said, except I think it's a registry value that's being updated.
Old 12-02-10, 01:12 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,223 Likes on 867 Posts

It may be a registry value for PowerDVD, but definitely not for ArcSoft TMT.
Old 01-04-11, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,508 Likes on 954 Posts

I got the Kino BD for Christmas, and we watched it Sunday. It's a huge improvement over the previous Kino version. Not only have missing plot elements been restored, but the frames-per-second rate has been slowed so that the action looks right.

The change in projection speed makes the sexy dance more sexy, the scary sequences more disturbing, and the fight scenes more convincing. Markinnyc was right.

The added footage results in a more coherent story, and more dramatic detail. For example, the sequence where the angry mob of workers captures the false Maria has been completely reworked, so that the mob very nearly captures and kills the real Maria, and then get the false Maria only by chance.
Old 01-04-11, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Not only have missing plot elements been restored, but the frames-per-second rate has been slowed so that the action looks right.
Umm, no it hasn't.

It's still 24 fps, which is the speed that the musical score syncs to.
Old 01-04-11, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,508 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Umm, no it hasn't.

It's still 24 fps, which is the speed that the musical score syncs to.
We watched selections from the Kino 2002 and Kino 2010 versions back to back. They are definitely displayed at different speeds. Check it out for yourself.
Old 01-05-11, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The old Kino disc was from a 25fps PAL source, so yes the old DVD was faster in speed.
Old 01-05-11, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by manicsounds
The old Kino disc was from a 25fps PAL source, so yes the old DVD was faster in speed.
Ah, so it may be slightly slower than the DVD, but it's still faster than the original photographic speed (which was around 16 fps, but probably not constant).

The theatrical release last year was (obviously) 24fps. The speedup was quite noticeable during any scenes where characters run around.
Old 01-06-11, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by manicsounds
Noticing that 1 FPS seems impressive to me.