Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Kill Bill 1 & 2 BLU-RAY 9/9/08

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Kill Bill 1 & 2 BLU-RAY 9/9/08

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-11, 07:51 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Kill Bill 1 & 2 BLU-RAY 9/9/08

After watching the two cuts of this scene. I've seen the JPN one before but not for the sake of literally comparing the two...I feel that it may flow better in the US cut based on visual. While the B&W was intended, in the the script, maybe he filmed it w/ the intention of seeing how far he could go w/ it in color? The B&W as we know, is an homage...that also served it's homage purpose as well. A few things bother me about the JPN cut though...for example when the Bride slashes at the guy at the 2:50min mark (of the JPN cut video I posted) he's not spewing blood...it just looks like a bunch of sweat/water coming off of him. in the B&W version..that moment looks better, the color one doesn't benefit from it. I like the extended JPN cut...but...while it looks great in color....I might like it more in B&W.

Japanese Cut:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wdjuS17DGlA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Our U.S. Cut:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EqWhpD1cXS8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 02-28-11, 08:39 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's still TWBA just not the one with the added anime sequence. They're showing the Cannes version. Which btw has played in Austin in 2006 and July 2010 as well as Los Angeles in February 2010. So it has played in the US
Old 02-28-11, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Here's a list of all the differences between the two cuts:

Originally Posted by The Digital Fix:

As almost everyone must know by now, the version of Kill Bill Vol. 1 released in Japan is slightly different from the one released in the West. Most famously, part of the fight in the House of Blue Leaves goes into black and white in Western prints (in order to circumvent the MPAA’s phobia of excessive amounts of red blood). While Tarantino has, on several occasions, claimed that the Japanese version, which features the House of Blue Leaves sequence in full colour as well as various other shots that were deleted or altered to avoid an NC-17 rating in the Western prints, is not a “director’s cut” but simply an alternative version, this would seem to contradict his repeated marketing of the film in Japan as “full-strength Kill Bill”. Here is a complete list of the differences between the Western and Japanese versions (stolen shamelessly from IMDB):
- The opening scene between The Bride and Vernita Green has two alternate angles shown when The Bride asks for a towel instead of keeping the overhead shot.

- In the anime sequence, one of Boss Matsumoto's men has his face smashed into a wall twice, rather then just once.

- In the anime sequence, when O-Ren Ishii kills Matsumoto and tells him to look at her face, she asks him to look at more facial features (nose, chin. etc.) to be recognized, and then before pulling the knife out, there is a close up shot of her moving the knife up his stomach and then finally pulling it out. There are a couple of close up shots of Matsumoto's face as he's dying as well that were eliminated from the US print and then a pan up shot of Matsumoto's blood covered and disemboweled body.

- The "House of Blue Leaves" fight is not only in full color, but features about 9 new shots missing from the US print which include:
- A close up of the first female Crazy 88 (Julie Manase) gargling blood after being pinned to a wodden pillar by a sword. This shot, while cut from the US version of Vol 1, showed up in the end credits of the US cut of Vol 2.
- A shot of The Bride stabbing two Crazy 88s at once using her own sword as well as another Crazy 88's sword.
- A ten foot high super backflip that The Bride executes before landing back down to pop out one of the Crazy 88's eyes. This shot appeared in the TV spot teaser, but disappeared soon after.
- The Bride jabbing a Crazy 88 in the throat with her "snake fist", and the partially armless Sofie Fatale giving a disgusted reaction.
- A shot of another female Crazy 88 attacking only to get slashed in the throat and spraying blood everywhere.
- The first appearance of the "Kid Crazy 88" (the one who gets spanked with the sword). In this shot, we now find out why he's missing a mask later on. As he's about to attack The Bride, she swipes his mask off. We see he's just a kid, and he gives the universal "don't hurt me" sign. The Bride has a look of shock on her face in realizing he's just a kid, so she grabs him, throws him across, knocking 3-4 Crazy 88 into a blood filled mini pool. This shot of the 3-4 falling, while cut from the US version of Vol 1, also showed up in the end credits of the US cut of Vol 2. Overall, this "mini scene" helps establish The Bride's look of surprise even more when she sees the young Crazy 88 the last time... and his follow up "don't hurt me" look even funnier.
- A shot of a Crazy 88 getting slashed across the chest and spraying blood all over a wall.
- When The Bride jumps onto the shoulders of one of the Crazy 88, after she slashes another one across the face, the Crazy 88 she's standing on tries to attack her from below. She parries the attack and cuts his hands off. The shot then cuts to the forward sommersault.
- Since the fight is already in color, the close up "eye shot" of The Bride blinking is cut. Instead, the first part of the close up before she blinks is shown, however, at the point when she normally blinks, there is a replacement medium shot of her standing slightly fatigued and holding her sword out.
- Finally, after the "House of Blue Leaves" fight, is the most infamous of the missing scenes and that is Sofie Fatale's extended "trunk interrogation" scene. After The Bride warns Sofie about cutting off something, instead of cutting back to Sofie in the hospital, The Bride is shown grabbing Sofie's arm and screams "GIVE ME YOUR OTHER ARM!". Sofie starts to panic, but then The Bride chops off her other arm, causing blood to splash onto the screen and Sofie begins screaming again.
Also, the Japanese cut replaces the “Old Klingon Proverb” at the beginning of the film with a dedication to filmmaker Kinji Fukasaku.
Kill Bill, Vol. 1 (Japan)
Old 02-28-11, 10:37 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ the guy at the bar, getting disembowled is also longer and gorier in the Asian Market cut.
Old 02-28-11, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Doctorossi
LOL! You made me spit soda all over my Chinese Democracy CD!
Dr. Pepper, by any chance?
Old 03-01-11, 11:06 AM
Cool New Member

Here's an excerpt of Empire's review of the combines cut in reference to the HOBL scene.
No longer in coy B&W, with close-up amputations and throat-slitting, the scene now plays like a berserk mix of 1960s TV Batman and Monty Python circa Holy Grail. The effect is quite surreal, more explicitly funny, and softens up the audience for the return of Gordon Liu - the mentalist Green Hornet figure -as the cruel martial arts guru Pai Mei
I've also noticed that people really get hung up on this scene. As if it's the be all end all scene of 'Kill Bill.' It's an incredible scene don't get me wrong. However Bea vs. Elle Driver is infinitely more thrilling. The stand off is the moment where the film becomes a true masterwork. That's the moment where I realized that nothing could possibly go wrong for the rest of the film.

In fact Uma Thurman and David Carradine could have farted their dialogue for the rest of the film and it would still be a masterwork.
Old 03-01-11, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sidewinder572

I've also noticed that people really get hung up on this scene. As if it's the be all end all scene of 'Kill Bill.' It's an incredible scene don't get me wrong. However Bea vs. Elle Driver is infinitely more thrilling. The stand off is the moment where the film becomes a true masterwork. That's the moment where I realized that nothing could possibly go wrong for the rest of the film.

In fact Uma Thurman and David Carradine could have farted their dialogue for the rest of the film and it would still be a masterwork.
I'm in complete agreement with you. The Bea vs. Elle fight is far more intense and entertaining because Bea actually had a match and wasn't destroying a bunch of no-skill lackeys.