HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Criterion releases on Blu-Rays

Old 12-15-08, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

positive words for Bottle Rocket from this very site
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/35732...on-collection/

can't wait for mine to arrive tomorrow
Old 12-16-08, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Looking very forward to grabbing Bottle Rocket on my lunch break tomorrow
Old 12-16-08, 02:19 AM
Banned by request

My Man Who Fell To Earth shipped today. Should have it on Wednesday.

Speaking of which, I loved Adam's review of the film. There's so much going on in that movie that one review alone can't hope to encapsulate it, but Adam did a very good job of touching on many of the important points.
Old 12-16-08, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Thanks!
Old 12-16-08, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

both bottle rocket and chungking express shipped over the weekend from amazon for me.
Old 12-16-08, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 12-16-08, 02:25 PM
Banned by request

Of all the Antoine Doinel films, The 400 Blows is among my least favorite. One of the later ones is basically the feature film version of a compilation episode on a sitcom ("Hey, remember when you did THIS?" *cue flashback*) which was clearly made for a time when access to massive films libraries via a home video format was not the norm, but now is just unbearably boring to watch. Other than that entry, 400 Blows is my least favorite.
Old 12-16-08, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Now that I have these in hand, I do not have any real problem with the packaging, as they are just a tad taller than a standard BD case. And for storing them... regardless of spine numbering, they do not go with the other Criterions, they go with the BDs, as
BD >>>>>>> Criterion
Old 12-16-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So based on the January/March schedule, it looks like Criterion might be releasing 2 BDs every other month - one being a new release, the other a BD release of an existing SD title. Then again, maybe not.
Old 12-16-08, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Of all the Antoine Doinel films, The 400 Blows is among my least favorite. One of the later ones is basically the feature film version of a compilation episode on a sitcom ("Hey, remember when you did THIS?" *cue flashback*) which was clearly made for a time when access to massive films libraries via a home video format was not the norm, but now is just unbearably boring to watch. Other than that entry, 400 Blows is my least favorite.
Yeah that fourth one was the worst by far. Literally 30-40% of that movie was clips from the previous films.

However I would say that 400 Blows is my favorite, alongside Antoine and Colette, and Stolen Kisses. I've seen all of these ones twice, and the latter two seem to get better and better though.

Oh and Chungking Express is here! One of my favorite movies, can't wait to watch it tonight. Both "Man movies" (3rd and Fell to Earth) have shipped as well.
Old 12-16-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah I'm passing on 400 blows, will wait for the box set
Old 12-16-08, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

bless you Criterion for giving Bottle Rocket the treatment it so deserves

haven't even watched the main feature yet but the extras are wonderful ...James Caan in the making of doc is a riot
the menus are so perfectly laid out and accessable
the packaging is beautiful with a great looking insert I can't wait to fully read through

I hope people eat this up so we can get some more WA sooner rather than later
Old 12-16-08, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you can tell me how the PQ is on Bottle Rocket it would be greatly appreciated. I love this movie but haven't decided if I'm upgrading or not.
Old 12-16-08, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000 View Post
If you can tell me how the PQ is on Bottle Rocket it would be greatly appreciated. I love this movie but haven't decided if I'm upgrading or not.
I won't get to the movie till later tonight but there are reviews up

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/35732...on-collection/
Bottle Rocket looks great in this 1080p AVC encoded 1.85.1 anamorphic widescreen transfer and where you'll immediately notice the difference between this HD transfer and the SD counterpart that Criterion released is in the detail levels and the color depth. The reds look perfect, with no bleeding, while the black levels stay strong and deep. There's a little bit of grain here and there but that's not at all a bad thing while print damage is pretty much non-existent. Skin tones look lifelike and natural while detail in the foreground and the background of the picture remains impressive throughout the film. There aren't any obvious problems with mpeg compression artifacts or edge enhancement nor is there any heavy shimmering. All in all, the picture quality is great.
http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies...98&show=review
As one would expect from the folks at Criterion, Bottle Rocket arrives on Blu-ray looking better than ever. Framed precisely in the filmís original theatrical aspect ratio of 1.85:1 and encoded with AVC Mpeg-4, Bottle Rocket exhibits all the qualities of projected film. Grain is present and delivered in levels appropriate for a twelve year old low-budget film. Itís never distracting and adds to the movieís remarkable cinematography from Robert Yeoman. The film also displays rich, vibrant colors and many instances of stark primary hues used to highlight the moods of the characters. Itís a stunning presentation that could only be possible with Blu-rayís exceptional visual fidelity.

Distracting artifacts are also never an issue with Bottle Rocket. I didnít detect a hint of edge enhancement, haloes, ringing or any of the normal culprits that detract from the viewing experience. Black levels are robust and the film displays an exceptional level of contrast throughout. Image detail is also outstanding with well-defined skin and fabric elements. The image also displays a great sense of dimensionality and depth of focus. Itís worth noting, that as with every Criterion Collection release, the filmís creators were involved in the transfer process. Both Cinematographer Robert Yeoman and Director Wes Anderson supervised the newly minted Blu-ray transfer. Therefore, itís doubtful that Bottle Rocket will ever look better.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...et_blu-ray.htm
ADDITION: Criterion Blu-ray - December 08': Utilizing the same high definition master as the standard DVD from a couple of weeks back, we have essentially the same color palette with better resolution. Technically over 4 times the bitrate. This is a dual-layered Blu-ray with the feature taking up approximately 26Gig of space transferred with the AVC encode. Detail shows a demonstrative improvement. Colors, especially reds, seem far more true. It looks quite impressive.
... and from the liner notes:
Bottle Rocket is presented in its original aspect ratio of 1.85.1.
Black bars at the top and bottom of the screen are normal for this format.
Supervised and approved by director Wes Anderson and director of photography Robert Yeoman, this new high-definition digital transfer was scanned on a Spirit 2K Datacine from a 35mm interpositive. Thousands of instances of dirt, debris, and scratches were removed using the MTI Digital Restoration System and Pixel Farm's PFClean.
Old 12-17-08, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

mdc,
after watching the movie tonight I concur 100% with the reviews above
this looks light years better than the dvd
I wouldn't hesitate the upgrade especially if you love this film
Old 12-17-08, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by musick View Post

I hope people eat this up so we can get some more WA sooner rather than later
Maybe this can hold you over until then? Wes Anderson Japanese Mobile Phone commercial starring Brad Pitt in a role that might be familiar to some Criterion and Jacques Tati fans Saw this on Gizmodo yesterday.

Hmmm might be a nice extra on a future Blu release . . .

Old 12-17-08, 03:51 AM
Banned by request

What an odd little ad. Was he actually meant to be M. Hulot or just a M. Hulot type?
Old 12-17-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Chunkging Express looks awesome, and The Man Who Fell to Earth just arrived! However, for Chungking, it would have been cool if they included the HK trailer, and possibly QT's bookend remarks (as extras, not actual bookends). Plus, my friend who speaks Mandarin/Cantonese pointed out a subtle joke that was lost in the translation of the Rolling Thunder version, and I was looking out to see if it was shown in this translation. I was using that as a litmus to see if a whole lot changed with the subtitles, and it wasn't there, so I guess it's mostly the same.

Third Man should be coming soon.

Oh yeah, and I ordered Bottle Rocket w/T Shirt a couple days ago, and DD said that it was no longer available and I would not be charged. No big deal, I'd order it later, right? Wrong. DD ended up shipping it anyway, without the T-shirt. Didn't really ask for that, but whatever.

Last edited by bluetoast; 12-17-08 at 03:56 PM.
Old 12-17-08, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is Criterion that ashamed to release Armageddon on Blu Ray? They know it would be their biggest-selling Criterion Blu Ray, but maybe they are embarrassed for doing that title...
Old 12-17-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by toddly6666 View Post
Is Criterion that ashamed to release Armageddon on Blu Ray? They know it would be their biggest-selling Criterion Blu Ray, but maybe they are embarrassed for doing that title...
They undoubtedly do not have the rights to release that one Blu-ray. Buena Vista keeps its big titles to itself these days.
Old 12-17-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Watched Third Man and Chungking Express, both were tremendous, great job Criterion!
Old 12-17-08, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
They undoubtedly do not have the rights to release that one Blu-ray. Buena Vista keeps its big titles to itself these days.
Shame. As long as Criterion still has Wes Anderson films I'm fine. They'll probably be my only Criterion purchase.
Old 12-17-08, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
Chunkging Express looks awesome, and The Man Who Fell to Earth just arrived! However, for Chungking, it would have been cool if they included the HK trailer, and possibly QT's bookend remarks (as extras, not actual bookends). Plus, my friend who speaks Mandarin/Cantonese pointed out a subtle joke that was lost in the translation of the Rolling Thunder version, and I was looking out to see if it was shown in this translation. I was using that as a litmus to see if a whole lot changed with the subtitles, and it wasn't there, so I guess it's mostly the same.

Third Man should be coming soon.

Oh yeah, and I ordered Bottle Rocket w/T Shirt a couple days ago, and DD said that it was no longer available and I would not be charged. No big deal, I'd order it later, right? Wrong. DD ended up shipping it anyway, without the T-shirt. Didn't really ask for that, but whatever.
What was the joke?
Old 12-17-08, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well forget about finding these in stores. Ordering from Amazon now.
Old 12-17-08, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I saw all the Criterions at Fry's today.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.