Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Definitive List of Blu-Rays without all SD extras

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Definitive List of Blu-Rays without all SD extras

Old 06-23-08, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Awesomely, despite early information suggesting otherwise it looks like Starship Troopers will have all the features except the isolated score and trailers.
Old 06-23-08, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
Added Mrs. Doubtfire and Natural Born Killers.
My Mrs. Doubtfire DVD doesn't have a Christopher Columbus commentary track either.
Old 06-24-08, 03:05 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by matome
My Mrs. Doubtfire DVD doesn't have a Christopher Columbus commentary track either.
The original non-special edition release from years ago features a commentary. Fox dimly decided it wasn't necessary for the new release on either format.
Old 08-08-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Looks like The Doors has all the SD extras after all. Thumbs up!

I'll have to start making note of when Universal BDs have their SD bonus features eaten by their U-Control Feature. It's a shame they won't provide them separately on the BDs as well.
Old 08-09-08, 04:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Forgive if this has been mentioned, as I haven't read every post, but...

I went to buy "Fantastic Four" (2005) on BR a few weeks ago, and it just had the cast commentary & the trailer. All the other extras from the DVD versions were missing.

P.S. - I didn't buy it...
Old 08-09-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Feel free to add End of Days, Miami Vice and U-571 had BDs without the extras from their DVD (or HD DVD) releases.
Old 08-09-08, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Feel free to add End of Days, Miami Vice and U-571 had BDs without the extras from their DVD (or HD DVD) releases.
I believe I already did that, although as I noted in an above post, they actually kinda sorta do. Universal's U-Control will more than likely contain all of that content. Again, though, it sucks that it's not available on the disc the way it was normally available. Same goes for The Thing, Baby Mama, Doomsday, etc.
Old 09-07-08, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mickactual View Post
I went to buy "Fantastic Four" (2005) on BR a few weeks ago, and it just had the cast commentary & the trailer. All the other extras from the DVD versions were missing..

I can confirm this. Supposedly, the German edition has the standard features included.
Old 09-07-08, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

House of Flying Daggers

From Joshua Zyber review:
As with the other Blu-Ray discs that were released at the format's launch, this disc leaves out many bonus features that were included in the standard definition DVD. The commentary track is no where to be found (they decided to add a Spanish language track instead), and the 45-minute making-of featurette is also gone. The only extras that are included on this disc are Creating the Visual Effects, a four minute short, and a handful of storyboard comparisons. Both of these were ported over from the SD DVD of course. Heaven forbid that any unique content be included on the Blu-Ray discs.
Old 09-07-08, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by droidguy1119 View Post
I believe I already did that, although as I noted in an above post, they actually kinda sorta do. Universal's U-Control will more than likely contain all of that content. Again, though, it sucks that it's not available on the disc the way it was normally available. Same goes for The Thing, Baby Mama, Doomsday, etc.
As far as Baby Mama is concerned, the U-Control does not include Deleted Scenes, Alternate Ending or the SNL thing.

Scorpion King 2 also dropped ALL the DVD extras.
Old 11-02-08, 01:23 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I read that Top Gun is missing the photo gallery and Lethal Weapon doesn't include the "director's cut". If someone wants to verify this please do.
Old 11-02-08, 07:35 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 232 Likes on 162 Posts
Droidguy, are you still going to update this? It's been a few months.
Old 11-02-08, 10:12 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Also, Carrie and Amityville Horror are missing all the extras from the SE DVDs (except Carrie has the trailer).
Old 11-02-08, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Miami Vice actually does have all the extras and some Blu-Ray only stuff.
Old 11-02-08, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Willh51 View Post
Miami Vice actually does have all the extras and some Blu-Ray only stuff.

You mean it's got the movie? Crap.
Old 11-03-08, 03:34 AM

Correction for Bram Stoker's Dracula

Bram Stoker's Dracula (1992)
- Introduction by Director Francis Ford Coppola
- "Heart of Darkness" Cinefex Magazine Article
I just wanted to add that Bram Stoker's Dracula does include the introduction by Coppola from the SE DVD. It's part of a "Watch Bram Stoker's Dracula with Francis Coppola" feature which starts with the intro then follows with the film and commentary. If I remember correctly this feature is identical to the SE DVD.
Old 11-03-08, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Droidguy, are you still going to update this? It's been a few months.
For me, the easiest system to help me keep the list current is, if someone points out a title, if someone else with a second of free time can check either the disc or DVDcompare or somewhere reliable and then just post here verifying the person's statement. Then I can just skip straight to updating the list with confidence that the submitted info is accurate.
Old 11-03-08, 08:02 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 232 Likes on 162 Posts
For me, the easiest system to help me keep the list current is, if someone points out a title, if someone else with a second of free time can check either the disc or DVDcompare or somewhere reliable and then just post here verifying the person's statement. Then I can just skip straight to updating the list with confidence that the submitted info is accurate.
Or the person submitting the information can provide the evidence. Or, based on the post content, or the poster's history, you can consider the information valid.

Waiting for someone else to verify would not work, just my opinion.
Old 05-21-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Re: Definitive List of Blu-Rays without all SD extras

Tweaked a couple listings. Soon I'll give the list even more of an update.
Old 01-27-10, 01:31 PM

Crappy Blu-rays = disappointing trend!

I saw a similar thread on a different board so I thought I'd start a discussion here.

I'm aware Blu-ray looks and sounds better than DVD so let's throw that part of the discussion out the window. My beef and the real subject of this thread is that I own hundreds of DVDs and as I've started my blu-ray collection, I've noticed that many of my favorite movies, especially the older ones, had great bonus materials yet the blu-ray comes with jack shit. Take a movie like Speed: a loaded Five Star Collector's DVD. The blu-ray: almost nothing! Predator had a great DVD but none of the excellent features were ported over. Man on Fire was stacked on DVD but the blu-ray has absolutely nothing! I also notice that as studios abandon DVD, they've also seemingly abandoned special features. Even new blockbusters like The Hangover, Terminator Salvation, The Dark Knight all had lackluster bonus features. I know most if not everyone here has experienced this so lets list some of your crappy blu-rays and discuss them on this thread.
Old 01-27-10, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Crappy Blu-rays = disappointing trend!

It's been discussed before countless times, even in recent threads. The answer is to keep your DVD if you want the features. New movies with crappy bonus features that are also on the DVD is a different issue.
Old 01-27-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Crappy Blu-rays = disappointing trend!

Originally Posted by Dragon Lee View Post
My beef and the real subject of this thread is that I own hundreds of DVDs and as I've started my blu-ray collection, I've noticed that many of my favorite movies, especially the older ones, had great bonus materials yet the blu-ray comes with jack shit. Take a movie like Speed: a loaded Five Star Collector's DVD. The blu-ray: almost nothing! Predator had a great DVD but none of the excellent features were ported over. Man on Fire was stacked on DVD but the blu-ray has absolutely nothing!
Speed, Predator, and Man On Fire are all relatively "older" Fox titles that were released earlier on in BD's lifespan back when that studio was not carrying over most (or any in some cases) bonus material....since then, they have changed their tune and do carry over most (if not all) previous bonus features...

Basically, you just happened to unfortunately run into some of the worst offenders with those specific titles....it is NOT a "trend" for bonus material to NOT be ported now, but rather the trend has actually become TO carry it over....

Originally Posted by Dragon Lee View Post
I also notice that as studios abandon DVD, they've also seemingly abandoned special features. Even new blockbusters like The Hangover, Terminator Salvation, The Dark Knight all had lackluster bonus features.
All three are Warner titles....they hardly even put ANY special features on their standard DVD releases anymore....again, this seems to be more of an isolated problem with WARNER than an overall trend, as many titles from other studios have been absolutely jam-packed with great bonus features...
Old 03-16-10, 04:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I want to keep this thread current, but I am very busy. I will get to work on it sooner or later, if I have time.

I know the new Anchor Bay Blu-Rays are all missing the DVD extras (one doesn't even have a menu).
Old 03-16-10, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The Who: The Kids Are Alright

Omits entire bonus disc from deluxe edition.
Old 11-12-10, 12:06 AM

Jerry Maguire - video commentary, photo gallery
King Kong - Featurettes
Dinosaur - Commentary, Featurettes, and lot more
Waterworld - Extended Cut
Commando - Director's cut, commentary, featurettes, deleted scenes, still galleries
Chronicles of Narnia: Lion, Witch, and Wardrobe - Extended cut, documentary
Mr & Mrs Smith - Unrated cut, documentary, featurettes
Patriot - Theatrical cut, featurette, trailers, photo gallery
Last of the Mohicans - Theatrical - extended cut

Do I have to be really specific in what extra it is? Some of them, unfortunately I sold before I knew it was missing, and some I didn't buy the blu-ray yet to know exactly what is missing.

Last edited by animefan; 11-12-10 at 12:12 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.