Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

PS3 Profile 2.0 at the end of March

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

PS3 Profile 2.0 at the end of March

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-08, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is it just me, or is the update not available on the playstation site yet? I only see a 2.17 firmware update (released March 13), and I don't see any mention of Profile 2.0 anywhere ...

Old 03-25-08, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Drexl
You'll have to download it, either directly to the PS3 or onto a USB flash drive or other compatible storage. Movie discs aren't going to contain player updates. Games might, but of course they'll be at least several weeks behind.
No, no, no. What I thought I'd read was that players like the PS3 when they encountered content that required an upgrade, it would go out on the internet, check and install the update for you automatically. When I first configured my system, checking for updates was the first thing it did once the wireless connection was established.
Old 03-25-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The PS3 is designed to check for firmware updates as soon as you sign in to the network, which is usually the first thing it does when you turn it on (unless you disable the automatic sign-in feature). When it finds an update is available, it pops up a message telling you to go to the system update menu selection and get it.

It doesn't wait until there is a disc inserted that needs a new update. The Xbox 360 works that way, but not the PS3.

Last edited by RoboDad; 03-25-08 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-25-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
No, no, no. What I thought I'd read was that players like the PS3 when they encountered content that required an upgrade, it would go out on the internet, check and install the update for you automatically. When I first configured my system, checking for updates was the first thing it did once the wireless connection was established.
Well, I'm not sure if it would know that the content needs an upgrade, unless the previous system software/firmware was designed to recognize 2.0 features. They do have a system for that for PSP games, but I think the games are specifically coded to check the firmware version.

If you have to set to automatically sign in, it should notify you of an upgrade when it boots.

However, if you haven't updated it yet, go ahead and try inserting the disc to find out if it will detect that an update is needed. Make sure you're not connected if you want to do this.
Old 03-25-08, 11:58 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I've downloaded and tested this update, and I'm very pleased. The resume feature works like a dream on both DVD and BD discs. I also went to the Internet Browser and was able to easily stream video content from sites that were unable to do so before. I don't have any BDs that are capable of 2.0 functionality, but I'm comfortable the update will work just fine for that as well.

The only thing I can't find is the Mosquito Noise Reduction setting. Can someone tell me where I can access this?
Old 03-25-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by IIG
I also went to the Internet Browser and was able to easily stream video content from sites that were unable to do so before.
Really? What sites did you access? I wanted to use Hulu last week and was denied.
Old 03-25-08, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts
But it wouldn't have worked last week anyway would it?
Old 03-25-08, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by IIG
The only thing I can't find is the Mosquito Noise Reduction setting. Can someone tell me where I can access this?
I only played with it for a second and is apparently on SD discs only. Put a disc in, hit the options button, and go to AV Settings. It should be there along with Frame and Block Noise Reduction options.
Old 03-25-08, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How do you get the "resume movie" to work? I put in "I Am Legend" BD, went to a scene and played for a bit, ejected the disc, put it back in, and it started as if I'd just put it in for the first time -- it didn't resume. Is there a setting I'm missing? By the way, I confirmed the the PS3 updated to v2.20.
Old 03-25-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts
Originally Posted by bookcase3
How do you get the "resume movie" to work? I put in "I Am Legend" BD, went to a scene and played for a bit, ejected the disc, put it back in, and it started as if I'd just put it in for the first time -- it didn't resume. Is there a setting I'm missing? By the way, I confirmed the the PS3 updated to v2.20.

Did you hit the stop button, or exit out to the PS3 menu before ejecting it? Someone on the videogame forum mentioned that you have to do that first.
Old 03-25-08, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The new update is now available to download from the site. The page with the version number still says 2.17 at the top, but there are details about 2.20 there now. When you go to the page to download it by clicking on "Update using a PC" you can tell it's the new one because the file path has "2008_0325" in it (that being the date).
Old 03-25-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 623 Likes on 481 Posts
Thanks, Drexl. I saw the info on the 2.20 update on the page but the starburst with 2.17 written in it made me think they hadn't put the update on the website yet.
Old 03-25-08, 09:25 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Will update soon and check out Saw IV.
Old 03-25-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Hit the O button and exit to the main PS3 menu before ejecting the disc. I tested it both ways and it doesn't seem to remember any disc unless you exit to the main menu before ejecting it or turning off the PS3.
Old 03-25-08, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GizmoDVD...

I tried it this evening with a Blu-ray disc (X-Men III) and a standard DVD (Yellow Submarine). For both discs, I hit the circle button on my controller and answered yes to end playback. I then ejected the discs and rotated them in terms of re-inserting them - both resumed where they left off.
Old 03-25-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That means it will work intuitively with the Nyko IR remote dongle (and possibly others) since it doesn't really have a stop button, but rather pressing "stop" is the same as pressing Circle. I'll have to get this installed and try some different discs, though I'd like to see if different profile discs as well as BD-J titles will work with it. However, I don't have any 1.1 or 2.0 titles yet AFAIK. Is Enchanted 1.1?
Old 03-26-08, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
Hit the O button and exit to the main PS3 menu before ejecting the disc. I tested it both ways and it doesn't seem to remember any disc unless you exit to the main menu before ejecting it or turning off the PS3.
I have the PS3 remote, and I've never used those other buttons -- didn't really know what they're used for. (The PS3 is a movie-only player for me.) Thanks for the tip -- I'll try that tonight.
Old 03-26-08, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really? What sites did you access? I wanted to use Hulu last week and was denied.
Was able to get YouTube to work. The browser asked to run the plug-in and the videos started, but Hulu still doesn't work.
Old 03-26-08, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The Revision3 content I watch is 16X9 HD and I'm wondering if, after the update, it fills the screen (in the proper aspect ratio).

Anybody know?

Also, if Hulu doesn't work, what about Netflix's streaming?
Old 03-26-08, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the PS3 remote, and I've never used those other buttons -- didn't really know what they're used for. (The PS3 is a movie-only player for me.) Thanks for the tip -- I'll try that tonight.
I have one more question for the experienced out there: is there a specific button to press when you resume a movie, or does it automatically begin? Thanks!
Old 03-26-08, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Select the disc with the X button and it will automatically resume.
Old 03-26-08, 10:13 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep resume play didnt work for me on Enchanted. I hit stop and came back to it later and it started over. Ill try the circle button instead.

I dont plan on using the PS3 for games but its a pretty clunky system. I hate the interface and remote--wish i could use my harmony.
Old 03-26-08, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Was able to get YouTube to work. The browser asked to run the plug-in and the videos started, but Hulu still doesn't work.
I know.

I guess I still have to download hulu videos to watch them on the PS3.
Old 03-26-08, 10:21 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
For those with an actual Blu-ray remote...what do we need to hit to stop it so it can resume playback later?

I couldn't even download this last night, my download kept time erroring out. Grr.
Old 03-26-08, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You Tube worked before.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.