Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Paramount stops HD DVD production

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Paramount stops HD DVD production

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-08, 10:52 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I'll stay out of here if on DVD forums we dont have to hear comments like "This needs a Blu-Ray Release!"; "I Only buy Blu-Ray releases so I won't buy this"; etc.
Oh and by the way I do own Hd-DVD and I don't like it so at least I have gave it a chance.
Oh boy.
Old 02-29-08, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
. . . And there's no great incentive to purposely lose money.

Other than to perhaps foster a bit of good will with their customers. Remember how they were so gung-ho for the format, and now they're just dropping it cold. It's a slap in the face to HD DVD supporters.
Old 02-29-08, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by applesandrice
Remember how they were so gung-ho for the format, and now they're just dropping it cold. It's a slap in the face to HD DVD supporters.
Wait a minute... "gung-ho"? Wasn't it really "paid support"? Careful about revisionist history there, buddy.

No one should really blame them for failing to support a dead medium. Sorry if the truth hurts.
Old 02-29-08, 11:29 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by rfduncan
Wait a minute... "gung-ho"? Wasn't it really "paid support"? Careful about revisionist history there, buddy.

No one should really blame them for failing to support a dead medium. Sorry if the truth hurts.
"paid support" would also go to every other studio right now. They are all receiving some sort of "compensation". It may be cash, incentives, free discs etc. Don't fool yourself.

Back on subject.... Looks like next week will be Paramounts last.
Old 02-29-08, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

While I hope we can still be buddies, I wasn't really trying to revise history. Even if the decision to go "HD DVD Exclusive" was based entirely on a pay-off, Paramount still went to great lengths to promote their position as having been the best choice for their customers. Now, they're just pulling the rug out from under those same people.

Look, my point (going back to my earlier post in this thread) is that while Warner Bros. is still intending to honor their decision to release titles on HD DVD through May, Paramount is choosing to just cut people off immediately. I think it just illustrates a clear divide in how the two companies treat their customers.
Old 02-29-08, 11:52 AM

It seems Mirimax owns the foreign distribution rights to "There will be blood" so maybe we'll see one of those dutch blu-rays??
Old 02-29-08, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by highclassrob
It seems Mirimax owns the foreign distribution rights to "There will be blood" so maybe we'll see one of those dutch blu-rays??
Those Blu-rays from the Netherlands were released by Dutch Filmworks, not by Miramax. DFW has the foreign rights to many Weinstein Company properties, not Miramax properties. Weinstein and Miramax are no longer the same thing. Miramax remained with Disney when the Weinstein brothers left it.
Old 02-29-08, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kenbuzz
Amazon just pulled the following Paramount HD-DVDs from their preorder list:
Jack Ryan Collection (4/25)
Damn, the Jack Ryan Collection has now been cancelled in both formats! We can't get a break...
Old 02-29-08, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm pretty sure the Ryans will be showing back up on BD soon.
Old 02-29-08, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I know some plants are supposed to be increasing Blu-Ray capacity, but I would guess right now there's a waiting list for pressing Blu-Ray at some plants, and Paramount may have to get at the end of it, just like the Master & Commander release when it was delayed.
After their move last summer, they deserve to be placed at the end of the line. While they're waiting, they should be working on fresh encodes.
Old 02-29-08, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by applesandrice
I think it just illustrates a clear divide in how the two companies treat their customers.
Oh without question! I mean this isn't anything new. Paramount was screwing the consumer long before HDM - check out their history with DVD! I'm just curious as to why their behavior now (while aggravating) is anything different than what we've come to expect from them....

Last edited by rfduncan; 02-29-08 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-29-08, 01:13 PM

Funny, when I write posts about Blu-Ray profiles still not being up to snuff and more expensive than HD-DVD I get a warning from the mods for "threadcrapping and then get my post deleted. And that's WITHOUT the slightest bit of snark.

and i've seen this time and time again here, when Blu Ray supporters decide to get snarky and superior about winning the format war, it's perfectly fine with everyone.

I'd have to say that I think saying anything bad about Blu-Ray, (even when it's 100% true) is not allowed here but it's perfectly acceptable to go to town on HD-DVD.

Last edited by whomod; 02-29-08 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-29-08, 01:20 PM

Maybe the demographic for a BD release of There Will Be Blood doesn't seem like a sure thing. Let's face it, I want a BD or HD release of There Will Be Blood as much as anyone, it was my favorite Hollywood film of 2007. There are a lot of teenage owners in the BD demographic due to the PS3 sales, and it's possible they wouldn't to take to a title like TWBB as much as something like Hitman. Outside of that, I don't know why they wouldn't re-encode the HD master and press a BD disc.
Old 02-29-08, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh without question! I mean this isn't anything new. Paramount was screwing the consumer long before HDM - check out their history with DVD! I'm just curious as to why their behavior now (while aggravating) is anything different than what we've come to expect from them....

I guess it's my own fault for having assumed their intentions were a bit more honorable. That and the fact that I really really wanted to get Sweeney Todd on HD DVD.
Old 02-29-08, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
i dont take the "stop whining" posts to be HD-DVD bashing, but rather whiner-bashing. no one wants to read multiple pages of people complaining about having to wait a couple months to get 3 or 4 discs in HD.
Old 02-29-08, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by whomod
Funny, when I write posts about Blu-Ray profiles still not being up to snuff and more expensive than HD-DVD I get a warning from the mods for "threadcrapping and then get my post deleted. And that's WITHOUT the slightest bit of snark.

and i've seen this time and time again here, when Blu Ray supporters decide to get snarky and superior about winning the format war, it's perfectly fine with everyone.

I'd have to say that I think saying anything bad about Blu-Ray, (even when it's 100% true) is not allowed here but it's perfectly acceptable to go to town on HD-DVD.
rfduncan was wrong in saying that HD DVD is a dead medium?
Old 02-29-08, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by redbill
i dont take the "stop whining" posts to be HD-DVD bashing, but rather whiner-bashing. no one wants to read multiple pages of people complaining about having to wait a couple months to get 3 or 4 discs in HD.

Who's writing the multiple pages if no one wants to read them? Given how wide the web is (world), there are plenty of other things those no ones can go read.
Old 02-29-08, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by redbill

Just out of curiosity...what exactly did you expect to read in a thread titled "Paramount stops HD DVD production?" I mean, if it was going to be a thread chock full of "I'm so excited about waiting an extra few months for the best film of 2007 (TWBB) to be available in high def" perhaps the thread title would have read "Paramount gives no clear Blu-ray release dates...horray for anticipation"
Old 02-29-08, 02:22 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Those Blu-rays from the Netherlands were released by Dutch Filmworks, not by Miramax. DFW has the foreign rights to many Weinstein Company properties, not Miramax properties. Weinstein and Miramax are no longer the same thing. Miramax remained with Disney when the Weinstein brothers left it.

Dutch FilmWorks indeed has some titles from Weinstein but also various Lionsgate films like Saw 4 and Rambo.

Don't count on DFW to release anymore HD-DVDs though, their next release Earth is Blu-Ray only through their House Of Knowledge label.

There Will Be Blood is distributed by Buena Vista International so Blu-Ray exclusive and over here in Holland it is planned for a June release.
Old 02-29-08, 02:41 PM
Banned

I hope Bee Movie comes out soon on Blu, I was really looking forward to seeing it in hi-def.
Old 02-29-08, 02:57 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Goodness...three whole movies you will have to wait on to watch in HD...how will you survive? If you really can't wait a few months or watch it via a rental as an upscaled dvd...you are just sad. It just cracks me up that you guys get your panties in a wad over a few (very few) movies that are going to be delayed a few months. I am sure others in this world would like to have your problems. Such a burden to bear.
It's not just these HD-DVD exclusives that I don't get to see in HD day and date with the DVD. There are several DVDs each week that get released without a corresponding high-def version, no Lust Caution, no Dajeerling Limited, no Nancy Drew, let alone dozens of smaller independent and foreign films released each week. So to lose expected releases like There Will Be Blood, Sweeney Todd, Bee Movie, Kite Runner, etc all at once without knowing whether there will be a blu-ray version is annoying, however sad you may think it is.
Old 02-29-08, 03:08 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I'll stay out of here if on DVD forums we dont have to hear comments like "This needs a Blu-Ray Release!"; "I Only buy Blu-Ray releases so I won't buy this"; etc.
Oh and by the way I do own Hd-DVD and I don't like it so at least I have gave it a chance.
You have got to be kidding me.

Look, I can't speak about the BD comments in the main DVD Talk forum, as I never read the main forum. But I can tell you right now that if you try to come in here to make anti-HD/BD comments in some attempt at "getting back" at those people, you'll find yourself suspended or worse. If you're not here for HDM, then leave.
Old 02-29-08, 03:18 PM

I know I mentioned earlier that Beowulf seemed to be doing well on Amazon, but even in overall sales, High Def Digest is reporting that the best selling Hi-Def title of last week was an HD DVD, "American Gangster".

So F U to Paramount for not realizing that there are still people out there buying HD DVDs.
Old 02-29-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sbelli
I know I mentioned earlier that Beowulf seemed to be doing well on Amazon, but even in overall sales, High Def Digest is reporting that the best selling Hi-Def title of last week was an HD DVD, "American Gangster".

So F U to Paramount for not realizing that there are still people out there buying HD DVDs.
Yes, but you didn't see the rest of the numbers...in total, Blu-ray still outsold HD DVD by a wide margin, and American Gangster would have sold more on BD.
Old 02-29-08, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by sbelli

Still what does that statistic tell you really? If the film was available in both HD formats, it might be significant. Still not sure I understand why that title was an HD/SD combo and if that skews the numbers at all...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.