HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Paramount stops HD DVD production

Old 02-28-08, 07:35 PM

Paramount and DreamWorks Animation stops HD DVD production

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/...4fc3dc4e59ea6f

A week after announcing it would return to Blu-ray Disc now that Toshiba has given up on its failed HD DVD technology, Paramount Home Entertainment says it is ending production of HD DVD discs.

The studio's final two HD DVD releases will be "Things We Lost in the Fire" and "Into the Wild," both coming March 4.

Paramount is expected to start rolling out Blu-ray Discs in the summer. Until then, titles will be released in standard DVD only.

also here:

http://www.videobusiness.com/index.a...&desc=topstory

EEEK!

UPDATE 6:45pm: We've received word from Paramount that DreamWorks Animation will also follow its studio parent and end HD DVD support. DreamWorks Animation sole remaining HD DVD release, 'Bee Movie' (originally scheduled for March 11) has been cancelled. We've updated our database accordingly.

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...(UPDATED)/1522

Last edited by DarthScooby; 02-28-08 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-28-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not rolling out Blu-Ray discs until the summer?
I thought our resident "insider" said to expect them sooner than we think or something like that...
Old 02-28-08, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Not rolling out Blu-Ray discs until the summer?
I thought our resident "insider" said to expect them sooner than we think or something like that...

Sooner than the HD DVD versions I'd say.
Old 02-28-08, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm going to wait till March 4th to get it straight from the horse's mouth. Isn't it funny that there are so many sources and just way too much info out there that has already outed most of Paramount's plans but yet we haven't heard jack from them.
Old 02-28-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So much for "insiders"
Old 02-28-08, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
So much for "insiders"
Who's the insider? I wanna know too.
Old 02-28-08, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

blu-ray.com insiders
Old 02-28-08, 08:03 PM
Banned

They better not be putting exclusive extras on the Blu-ray titles or i will go apeshit!!!!!!
Old 02-28-08, 08:04 PM

blu-ray.com insiders
Oh, I never checked that place out.
Old 02-28-08, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
They better not be putting exclusive extras on the Blu-ray titles or i will go apeshit!!!!!!
Okay, you have my blessing to go apeshit.
Old 02-28-08, 08:19 PM

This kinda sucks because it means we'll have to wait until who knows when to see both sweeney todd and there will be blood. Because at this point I'm just not buying regular dvds.
Old 02-28-08, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like Bee Movie is a no-go for hd-dvd.

Old 02-28-08, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Looks like Bee Movie is a no-go for hd-dvd.

??????

That article like every other says that Dreamworks Animation is still under contract and plans to proceed with Bee Movie.
Old 02-28-08, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Honestly, who cares? Yeah, it would've been nice to pick up Sweeney Todd and other Paramount titles cheap on HD DVD, but does it really matter? Blu-Ray won, let's move on.
Old 02-28-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Honestly, who cares? Yeah, it would've been nice to pick up Sweeney Todd and other Paramount titles cheap on HD DVD, but does it really matter? Blu-Ray won, let's move on.
There Will Be Blood being released on April 1st then not being released till the summer is a big difference. I don't mind it being on Blu-ray I just don't want to wait months after the DVD has already been released.
Old 02-28-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Because some people, like me, like many others, don't want to wait until June+ to get Sweeny Tood, There will be Blood, Bee Movie, Kite Runner and any other titles that would have come out Day and Date with the DVD. Now, we either have to buy/rent/torrent the SD and wait for the Blu-ray version to come out. Also these titles will not sell as well as they would have being a day and date either. I hope you don't see this as Blu-ray bashing because its not. Its people getting pissed off that these were announced weeks/months ago and are now canceled (HD DVD version) and now have to wait until Paramount decides to release them. How long will it take Universal? Will they only do SDs on Day and Date until they are ready?
Old 02-28-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i guess i should bite the bullet and order zodiac at the current price.
Old 02-28-08, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And there are no guarantees that Sweeny Todd or TWBB will get BD releases... Neither one of them are going to be huge sellers, and they might just say fuck it and that its not worth it to go back and revisit any time soon.
Old 02-28-08, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because some people, like me, like many others, don't want to wait until June+ to get Sweeny Tood, There will be Blood, Bee Movie, Kite Runner and any other titles that would have come out Day and Date with the DVD. Now, we either have to buy/rent/torrent the SD and wait for the Blu-ray version to come out. Also these titles will not sell as well as they would have being a day and date either. I hope you don't see this as Blu-ray bashing because its not. Its people getting pissed off that these were announced weeks/months ago and are now canceled (HD DVD version) and now have to wait until Paramount decides to release them. How long will it take Universal? Will they only do SDs on Day and Date until they are ready?

Yes. It will be lame if it ends up making me wait additional months for HD versions of There Will Be Blood and so forth. I would have hoped for a more seamless changeover if this ends up being the case. We shall see...
Old 02-28-08, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
And there are no guarantees that Sweeny Todd or TWBB will get BD releases... Neither one of them are going to be huge sellers, and they might just say fuck it and that its not worth it to go back and revisit any time soon.
Seriously? You don't think either movie, nominated and won awards, will not be popular?
Old 02-28-08, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Weak, I was in for Sweeney and There will be Blood. Oh well, less money for them - I won't buy SD DVD.
Old 02-28-08, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn, I want Sweeney Todd on Blu ASAP
Old 02-28-08, 10:19 PM
Suspended

Have patience guys, i dont think we are done seeing announcements from Paramount or Dreamworks yet.
Old 02-28-08, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by QuePaso
Have patience guys, i dont think we are done seeing announcements from Paramount or Dreamworks yet.
If the announcement is they are going to release all of these Day and Date with the DVD on Blu-ray, then awesome, if not, I'm irked.
Old 02-28-08, 10:29 PM

blu-ray.com insiders
When did bluray.com insiders EVER state that Paramount was releasing titles sooner rather than later?

They never did. Get your facts straight.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.