Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD DVD is near death... All articles, rumors, etc. HERE

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD DVD is near death... All articles, rumors, etc. HERE

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-08, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Wouldn't the studios be warned well ahead of time from Toshiba that they will be dropping HD-DVD?

And yet Paramount still goes ahead and announces new releases to come out in April.

Paramount better keep their word.
Well obviously Netflix, BB, and Walmat knew ahead of time, so it makes sense.

I was told from someone supposedly "in the know" that another player is stepping up to the plate on the hardware side to keep HD DVD going. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Old 02-19-08, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
They better not.

It would be interesting to see what happens with Warner as well.

Pro-B
I don't mind if they got Blu-ray discs all ready to go. But I don't want this to delay There Will Be Blood or Sweeney Todd. And likely this announcement will. I hope that they just release everything that have planned for HD-DVD and then be done with it. I don't want them to pull the plug right away.
Old 02-19-08, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
It would be interesting to see what happens with Warner as well.
Definitely. With such an aggressive exit strategy announced by Toshiba, I would be very surprised if Warner proceeds with its complete schedule of HD DVD releases through May. I am predicting that they will release whatever they already have sufficiently along in the pipeline, since stopping those titles would mean throwing away all of the HD DVD-specific work that is already done, but any titles that are still early in the development cycle will be scrapped for HD DVD, in favor of a Blu-ray-only release.
Old 02-19-08, 02:50 AM
Banned

Where the hell are those $99 Chinese made Walmart exclusive HD-dvd players ???? ANSWERS....I want ANSWERS dammit !!!!
Old 02-19-08, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by naitram
I was told from someone supposedly "in the know" that another player is stepping up to the plate on the hardware side to keep HD DVD going. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Why would anyone want to do that? There will be no new software to play on it in just a couple of months, and the market for back-up players will be pretty slim. I'm sure most people who want one will be able to get a much better deal on eBay than from any vendor trying to sell new players.
Old 02-19-08, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by naitram
The only official announcement from a significant player(s) has been the market intro of the new HITACHI/Maxwell HDDVD-R software set to be released in Japan shortly. This was prior to Toshiba's announcement but in the making since early November. Samsung are now also focused on Blu-Ray.

I don't have any idea what player would step up, if any, but it will not be a major company, this much is certain.

Pro-B
Old 02-19-08, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Why would anyone want to do that? There will be no new software to play on it in just a couple of months, and the market for back-up players will be pretty slim. I'm sure most people who want one will be able to get a much better deal on eBay than from any vendor trying to sell new players.
Eh, that's all I know, chief.
Old 02-19-08, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Please continue in the officially dead thread here:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=525541

Thanks.