Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Blu-Ray Universal Studios Petition

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-08, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

found some interesting petitions...

Univeral Studios on Blu-Ray Disc Petition
http://www.PetitionOnline.com/BD1/petition.html
Old 02-18-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Seems pretty pointless at this point (and possibly an old petition anyway)
Old 02-18-08, 03:33 PM

Yeah, i know. but there is another one trying to save HD-DVD as well. a bunch of people bitching about they just bought hd-dvd and now may have lost money. Probably why i waited to make sure which format was gonna win.

Originally Posted by Jericho
Seems pretty pointless at this point (and possibly an old petition anyway)
Old 02-18-08, 03:40 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
This petition is useless. If Universal wants to go Blu, they will. If they don't want to, they may hold out for months/years to see if the format is even viable. Universal has a lot of bad blood towards Sony, so they much just pack up their toys and go home. Paramount will go Blu, as they already have all the equipment ready.
Old 02-18-08, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Universal has a lot of bad blood towards Sony, so they much just pack up their toys and go home.
This is kind what I've been thinking as well.

I wonder, though, if they will be perceived as being silly for doing so, considering that they will be the only studio not "going blu" (once Paramount shifts back).
Old 02-18-08, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This petition is useless. If Universal wants to go Blu, they will. If they don't want to, they may hold out for months/years to see if the format is even viable. Universal has a lot of bad blood towards Sony, so they much just pack up their toys and go home. Paramount will go Blu, as they already have all the equipment ready.
Who gives a shit about bad blood and feelings when there's potential money to be made? No company would be stupid to leave money on the table.

Last edited by tonymontana313; 02-18-08 at 05:19 PM.
Old 02-18-08, 04:47 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Who gives a shit about bad blood and feelings when there's potential money to be made. No company would be stupid to leave money on the table.
Well, one could argue what money from HDM. Right now 100k of a title sold in a week is "HUGE" on HDM while a lackluster DVD selling 2.5 million in a week is ignored. There may not be enough sales right to justify switching over to Blu-ray. Universal was more recently burned by Sony in the UMD field.
Old 02-18-08, 04:51 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

As much as I want American Gangster in the Blu-ray format, I won't be a part of this petition.
Old 02-18-08, 04:53 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I think there's a reasonable expectation that Universal will release on Blu-ray once the final dust settles. In the end, it's all business. Universal gave it their shot and they didn't come out on top. But even Sony released on VHS, and they had much more at stake with Beta than Universal does with HD DVD.
Old 02-18-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I wonder, though, if they will be perceived as being silly for doing so, considering that they will be the only studio not "going blu" (once Paramount shifts back).
No worries. The market will take care of any past issues. Universal will be releasing on Blu-Ray.

Pro-B
Old 02-18-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts
I think there'd be more pressure to release on Blu-ray just because that's what everyone else is doing than because of any short-term financial gain. I'm hoping that same motivation will also get The Weinstein Company releasing once again.

Universal has borderline-nothing in the pipeline even for DVD, so I could see them sitting it out for a while; they may not even have a choice, unless they've been preparing for this eventuality for a while. (Honestly, it'd be pretty silly if they haven't braced themselves for this.)

Petitions are a waste of time. A more effective way to make your voice heard is with your wallet -- buy the Blu-ray discs you want and encourage your friends to do the same.
Old 02-18-08, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who gives a shit about bad blood and feelings when there's potential money to be made? No company would be stupid to leave money on the table.
Exactly. The shareholders aren't going to let them hold out for very long anyway.
Old 02-18-08, 05:27 PM
Suspended

The blu-ray insiders on the BD forum have been telling us to NOT be mad at Ken Graffeo, the face of the HD DVD PRG and the guy who takes care of business for Universal Movies for HD DVD. They have been hinting that talks are done and that we'll see something from Universal on Blu-Ray quite soon. These are the same insiders who let us know that Warner was going blu-ray exclusive WAY before anyone else, they clued us into the Target news WAY ahead, and much more. They are always 100% accurate and there is 0 reason to doubt them now.

So, end result, Blu-Ray movies from Universal Pictures will be here very soon. Just hang tight.
Old 02-18-08, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Good point. I would assume that soon after Toshiba announces, freeing other parties from their contracts, we'll see Universal step up. Paramount will be first, and their press release will probably follow minutes after Toshiba's.
Old 02-18-08, 05:55 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by QuePaso
The blu-ray insiders on the BD forum have been telling us to NOT be mad at Ken Graffeo, the face of the HD DVD PRG and the guy who takes care of business for Universal Movies for HD DVD. They have been hinting that talks are done and that we'll see something from Universal on Blu-Ray quite soon. These are the same insiders who let us know that Warner was going blu-ray exclusive WAY before anyone else, they clued us into the Target news WAY ahead, and much more. They are always 100% accurate and there is 0 reason to doubt them now.

So, end result, Blu-Ray movies from Universal Pictures will be here very soon. Just hang tight.
I love the Blu-ray insiders. Hinting that Universal is going Blu? Well, we know HD DVD is dead, so its a given, eventually. Warner going Blu-ray exclusive? A coin flip of information. They were going Red right until a certain studio pulled out. Target information? What, 1 day before it happened? Anyone that works at Target would have gotten the plan-o-gram a week earlier and knew what was going on. The insiders over there really are a joke unless they work directly with the BDA, which many do not.

Just be patient. If Universal wants to release on Blu-ray, they will. However with all the posts about sub-par HD DVD releases in PQ/AQ, why would the Pro-Blu people even want Universal? If their HD DVD releases are so poor, what makes you think putting them on a different disc will do?
Old 02-18-08, 06:02 PM
Banned by request

Gizmo, what, exactly are you trying to accomplish in this thread? First you say that Universal won't release on BD for a long time, now you're saying BD shouldn't even want Universal. We know you're upset about this turn of events, but come on, man, you're really reaching.

Besides, they're still better than Fox.
Old 02-18-08, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I do think there is a degree of hypocrisy. These people that come out from the BD forum to spread the word have long derided Universal's releases as being sub-par. Now their membership is being urged to be nice to Universal's president. Please.

These guys give themselves way to much credit for "influencing" things. If there is money to be made in releasing in BD, Universal will do it.

I totally agree that this is another grandstanding "soothsayer" post when a blind dog could see this result happening. Ridiculous.

Had things turned the other way, we wouldn't be hearing from 99% of these shilling assholes (not referring to any poster in particular, but the BD shill force in general). mod note: "In general" or not, that's still uncalled for. -namja

Last edited by namja; 02-18-08 at 06:45 PM.
Old 02-18-08, 06:14 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
I do think there is a degree of hypocrisy. These people that come out from the BD forum to spread the word have long derided Universal's releases as being sub-par. Now their membership is being urged to be nice to Universal's president. Please.

These guys give themselves way to much credit for "influencing" things. If there is money to be made in releasing in BD, Universal will do it.

I totally agree that this is another grandstanding "soothsayer" post when a blind dog could see this result happening. Ridiculous.

Had things turned the other way, we wouldn't be hearing from 99% of these shilling assholes (not referring to any poster in particular, but the BD shill force in general).
Bingo. That was my original thoughts on Universal going Blu.
So many people hated Universal and their sub-par releases, but are now clamoring to get Cat People and Time Cop.

Paramount announcement will be this week with Sweeny Todd being their last release (Maybe There will be Blood), and Universal will pull out with Fletch being the last title, and coming back to Blu-ray in mid-late August.

Just a guess.

Last edited by namja; 02-18-08 at 06:46 PM. Reason: cross out inappropriate remark that was quoted
Old 02-18-08, 06:28 PM
Banned by request

I'd like to think Universal won't sit out the majority of the summer, but then again, Fox did just that last year, so who knows.
Old 02-18-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I think there's a reasonable expectation that Universal will release on Blu-ray once the final dust settles. In the end, it's all business. Universal gave it their shot and they didn't come out on top. But even Sony released on VHS, and they had much more at stake with Beta than Universal does with HD DVD.
Absolutely. And that ("final dust settles") may even be tomorrow.
Old 02-18-08, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Where can I sign for some Universal releases on Blu-Ray?
Old 02-18-08, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bingo. That was my original thoughts on Universal going Blu.
So many people hated Universal and their sub-par releases, but are now clamoring to get Cat People and Time Cop.
Just a guess.
I assure you that I am not clamoring for Cat People or Timecop.
Old 02-18-08, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by QuePaso

I love BD as much as the next guy but I do not trust the main insiders of Bluray.com with the exception of paidgeek, kjack, talkstr8t, and Bill Hunt. Most of the insider talk centers around Penton Man and maxpower, the ones I distrust the most.
Both of these guys make super vague statements which could go either way and Penton's thread is filled with so much shit it makes me wonder what exactly the mods are doing over there.
Old 02-18-08, 07:52 PM
Banned

I would love to see Universal on Blu-Ray, but their HD-DVDs were so hit & miss with video quality.
Old 02-18-08, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I didn't think Universal was hit or miss. Everything that I have from them looks great. IMO, they were the best studio releasing discs on both sides.

I'm sure Universal will go Blu and I hope they do soon to appease the O' Mighty One that we may soon get Jaws released.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.