Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Buy to promote Blu-ray as preferred HDM format

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-11-08, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Best Buy to Recommend BD as the HDM format of choice

Sorry, the link isn't working. This was posted in a forum at highdefdigest.com:

If true, it's all over but the crying when coupled with the Netflix announcement:

----------------------------

Best Buy to Recommend Blu-ray as the Customer's Digital Format Choice

February 11, 2008 3:31 PM EST

MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--

Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE: BBY) is taking a step forward in addressing consumer confusion about high-definition formats. Beginning in early March, the leading consumer electronics retailer will prominently showcase Blu-ray hardware and software products in its Best Buy retail and online channels in the United States.

"Consumers have told us that they want us to help lead the way. We've listened to our customers, and we are responding. Best Buy will recommend Blu-ray as the preferred format," said Brian Dunn, Best Buy's president and chief operating officer. "Our decision to shine a spotlight on Blu-ray Disc players and other Blu-ray products is a strong signal to our customers that we believe Blu-ray is the right format choice for them."

Dunn continued, "Best Buy has always believed that the customer will benefit from a widely-accepted single format that would offer advantages such as product compatibility and expanded content choices. Because we believe that Blu-ray is fast emerging as that single format, we have decided to focus on Blu-ray products."

"With the explosion of HDTVs, customers are hungry for quality, high definition content. We believe our move to feature Blu-ray should help consumers feel confident in their hi-def content choices," said Mike Vitelli, Best Buy's senior vice president, Home Solutions. "Best Buy is excited by the next generation of digital products and we know our customers are too. We are excited about helping customers find the right mix of products and services to make the next generation of high definition entertainment technology come alive for them. We believe that Blu-ray is the right solution for consumers."

Best Buy currently carries a wide array of Blu-ray hardware and software products. The company noted that it will continue to carry an assortment of HD-DVD products for customers who desire to purchase these products.

About Best Buy Co., Inc.

Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE: BBY) operates a global portfolio of brands with a commitment to growth and innovation. Our employees strive to provide customers around the world with superior experiences by responding to their unique needs and aspirations. We sell consumer electronics, home-office products, entertainment software, appliances and related services through nearly 1,300 retail stores across the United States, throughout Canada and in China. Our multi-channel operations include: Best Buy (BestBuy.com, BestBuy.ca and BestBuy.com.cn), Future Shop (FutureShop.ca), Geek Squad (GeekSquad.com and GeekSquad.ca), Pacific Sales Kitchen and Bath Centers (PacificSales.com), Magnolia Audio Video (Magnoliaav.com), Jiangsu Five Star Appliance Co. (Five-Star.cn) and Speakeasy (Speakeasy.net). Best Buy supports the communities in which its employees work and live through volunteerism and grants that benefit children and education.

Source: Best Buy Co., Inc.

http://www.streetinsider.com/Press+R...e/3345206.html
Old 02-11-08, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/s...ewID=news_view

MINNEAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Best Buy Co., Inc. (NYSE: BBY) is taking a step forward in addressing consumer confusion about high-definition formats. Beginning in early March, the leading consumer electronics retailer will prominently showcase Blu-ray hardware and software products in its Best Buy retail and online channels in the United States.

“Consumers have told us that they want us to help lead the way. We’ve listened to our customers, and we are responding. Best Buy will recommend Blu-ray as the preferred format,” said Brian Dunn, Best Buy’s president and chief operating officer. “Our decision to shine a spotlight on Blu-ray Disc players and other Blu-ray products is a strong signal to our customers that we believe Blu-ray is the right format choice for them.”

Dunn continued, “Best Buy has always believed that the customer will benefit from a widely-accepted single format that would offer advantages such as product compatibility and expanded content choices. Because we believe that Blu-ray is fast emerging as that single format, we have decided to focus on Blu-ray products.”

“With the explosion of HDTVs, customers are hungry for quality, high definition content. We believe our move to feature Blu-ray should help consumers feel confident in their hi-def content choices,” said Mike Vitelli, Best Buy’s senior vice president, Home Solutions. “Best Buy is excited by the next generation of digital products and we know our customers are too. We are excited about helping customers find the right mix of products and services to make the next generation of high definition entertainment technology come alive for them. We believe that Blu-ray is the right solution for consumers.”

Best Buy currently carries a wide array of Blu-ray hardware and software products. The company noted that it will continue to carry an assortment of HD-DVD products for customers who desire to purchase these products.
[Edit]
Oops. Looks like Dane Marvin beat me by a couple of minutes. Mods please delete or merge this thread. Thanks.

Last edited by RoboDad; 02-11-08 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-11-08, 03:50 PM

While definitely big news, until they bring down their ridiculously high prices I don't imagine many will purchase from them.
Old 02-11-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sounds like business as usual.
Old 02-11-08, 03:51 PM

Well, at least Best Buy is still offering a choice to those who want it. That is pretty classy.
Old 02-11-08, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrChaos
While definitely big news, until they bring down their ridiculously high prices I don't imagine many will purchase from them.
Maybe not us, but Best Buy is by far the largest seller of HDM, regardless of their pricing.
Old 02-11-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JackBurton
Sounds like business as usual.
That was my first thought too, but the fact that they issued a press release indicates to me at least that they are probably going to be more aggressive in positioning and recommending the format. It also may mean that HD DVD, while still available, could be nearly "invisible" in their stores (it may be that unless people ask about it, they'll never even know it's there), both in terms of hardware and software.
Old 02-11-08, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MrChaos
What are you talking about? I have heard BB is the leading HDM retailer. Most people don't troll bargain forums for the best deal. Not that BB is without deals. They do lots of coupons, discounts and occasional B1G1 deals.
Old 02-11-08, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
What are you talking about? I have heard BB is the leading HDM retailer.
This may be true, but their prices are generally pretty abysmal.
Old 02-11-08, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dane Marvin
They do lots of coupons, discounts and occasional B1G1 deals.
And I, for one, will miss them greatly as HD-DVD fades
Old 02-11-08, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, this and the Netflix thing. Sounds like a pretty bad day for Toshiba.
Old 02-11-08, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
This may be true, but their prices are generally pretty abysmal.
My point is not that they are low-priced. My point is that they are the leading HDM retailer.
Old 02-11-08, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Yavin
Wow, this and the Netflix thing. Sounds like a pretty bad day for Toshiba.
And don't forget Imation. No more TDK HD DVD recordable discs.
Old 02-11-08, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by matome
Maybe not us, but Best Buy is by far the largest seller of HDM, regardless of their pricing.
This is true. This is huge news.
Old 02-11-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

When it rains, it pours...
Old 02-11-08, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think everyone knew that at this point the retailers, distributors, and rental outlets would be choosing the format.

Best Buy and Netflix have spoken. The biggest companies so far.
Old 02-11-08, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is all as expected. Shelf space is just to precious to continue to support both formats. We all knew the Warner decision would end the war and it has. HD DVD is finished and retailers know it. Amazon is probably the only place that can afford to support it. Retail stores simply can't give shelf space to a dead format.
Old 02-11-08, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This might be the biggest blow yet in the war. I've always said that once Best Buy or Walmart makes a decision, the format war would be close to over (Warner decision withstanding).
Old 02-11-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by darkside
This is all as expected. Shelf space is just to precious to continue to support both formats. We all knew the Warner decision would end the war and it has. HD DVD is finished and retailers know it. Amazon is probably the only place that can afford to support it. Retail stores simply can't give shelf space to a dead format.
What's more surprising how people argue that there should be two formats. It's great for competition, but no matter how much anyone wants it, the retailers or any business involved in buying, selling or renting will not allow it to happen.
Old 02-11-08, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The war was over on 1/4/08, but the Netflix and Best Buy news will hopefully bring back to reality some of the HD DVD only owners who have been in denial.
Old 02-11-08, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

the contents of that press release describe the way my local best buy has been for months: Blu-ray products prominently featured, HD DVD products relegated to much-less-obvious shelf-space, but both products available. that may have been more of a local store thing though - i guess this press release is indicating a company-wide official policy. i'm a little surprised that there is any announcement at all that doesn't include "best buy will no longer carry HD DVD" in it.
Old 02-11-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What will be most telling is how their HD DVD software is displayed going forward. At my local Best Buy, at least as of last week, the HD DVDs were still in a prominent location, right across from the BDs. My guess would be that this will change as part of this policy. Maybe they will be displayed near the players, but not in the software section of the store?
Old 02-11-08, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
What's more surprising how people argue that there should be two formats. It's great for competition, but no matter how much anyone wants it, the retailers or any business involved in buying, selling or renting will not allow it to happen.
Ninendo
XBox
PS2
PS3

Yeah, you're right, retailers would never allow multiple formats on their shelves.

If both products were selling, retailers would have no qualms about supporting both. The problem here is that neither format is selling, so they're picking the one that's doing marginally better.
Old 02-11-08, 05:29 PM

Yet another good day for Blu-Ray.
Old 02-11-08, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Josh, I never understood this line of arguement. I understand the games aspect that multiple platforms can exist, but we're talking about the home video market. All I can think of is the days of VHS and DVD living together, but we know how that ended. of course now with XBox supporting HD DVD and PS3 with Blu Ray, I suppose the lines are blurring.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.