Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Best Buy to promote Blu-ray as preferred HDM format

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Best Buy to promote Blu-ray as preferred HDM format

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-08, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Josh Z
Ninendo
XBox
PS2
PS3

Yeah, you're right, retailers would never allow multiple formats on their shelves.

If both products were selling, retailers would have no qualms about supporting both. The problem here is that neither format is selling, so they're picking the one that's doing marginally better.
Which of those you listed are movie formats?
Old 02-11-08, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the local Best Buy, the HD DVD section has already been moved to smaller shelf space and on the end caps, BDs are prominently displayed in the HD software section.

However, both format's hardware are displayed equally...(to date)
Old 02-11-08, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Ninendo
XBox
PS2
PS3

Yeah, you're right, retailers would never allow multiple formats on their shelves.

If both products were selling, retailers would have no qualms about supporting both. The problem here is that neither format is selling, so they're picking the one that's doing marginally better.
This is also a probably with the Video Game area. Best Buy can only allow a certain amount of space for video games or movies so when things are on the way out they start cutting out their sections quickly. DVD has a lot more releases every week compared to video games so shelf space for DVD, BD and HD DVD is precious and why continue to give space to HD DVD when you know it is on the way out.
Old 02-11-08, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I worked at Best Buy for nearly two years until just before the holidays. While they've sold both players and discs, they've been promoting Blu-Ray practically the entire time this war has been going down. There were several Blu-Ray displays up right as the war started, as well as being featured in Magnolia. As the months went on, they eventually got a small HD-DVD display on a 30" HDTV LCD. They didn't have one single HD-DVD player hooked up in Magnolia.
Old 02-11-08, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ninendo
XBox
PS2
PS3

You can roll your eyes all you want but it doesn't change the fact that you are comparing two completely different industries.

Now for a refresher course: BETA vs VHS. VHS won. DVD vs Divx. DVD won. Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD. Well you can guess how that's going to turn out.

Do you see a trend? If not, go back and reread above.

You keep saying the same thing over and over about how both formats aren't selling? You clearly have some ridiculous expectations because you seem to think that HDM is just going to overtake DVD overnight. Wrong. Give it time.
Old 02-11-08, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Yep, people certainly have a double standard when it comes to movie formats vs. video games.
Old 02-11-08, 05:19 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
I worked at Best Buy for nearly two years until just before the holidays. While they've sold both players and discs, they've been promoting Blu-Ray practically the entire time this war has been going down. There were several Blu-Ray displays up right as the war started, as well as being featured in Magnolia. As the months went on, they eventually got a small HD-DVD display on a 30" HDTV LCD. They didn't have one single HD-DVD player hooked up in Magnolia.
I visit you old store several times a week...its always been Pro-Blu in everyway. Not shocked to see this happening.
Old 02-11-08, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Well, at least they are saying it officially now. My local BB has always promoted BR over HD. There are no fewer than four BR displays throughout the store and not even one HD set up anywhere to be seen.
Old 02-11-08, 05:22 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
You can roll your eyes all you want but it doesn't change the fact that you are comparing two completely different industries.

Now for a refresher course: BETA vs VHS. VHS won. DVD vs Divx. DVD won. Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD. Well you can guess how that's going to turn out.

Do you see a trend? If not, go back and reread above.

You keep saying the same thing over and over about how both formats aren't selling? You clearly have some ridiculous expectations because you seem to think that HDM is just going to overtake DVD overnight. Wrong. Give it time.
Problem is, the previous two battles were very important, Blu-ray vs HD DVD is not. Minor improvements and 2 years later still can't get more then 1% of DVD sales.
Old 02-11-08, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Problem is, the previous two battles were very important, Blu-ray vs HD DVD is not. Minor improvements and 2 years later still can't get more then 1% of DVD sales.
To a certain degree I agree with you on the minor improvements but I do see HDM growing exponentially this year with more hdtvs out there and lower BD hardware prices that are sure to come.
Old 02-11-08, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Was it not the same when DVD came out? I don't think it'll ever overtake DVD, but it's not going to as bad as a failure as people make it out to be.
Old 02-11-08, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Was it not the same when DVD came out?
Actually no. People were so much more excited about DVDs and the sales didn't lag behind VHS for very long.

I don't think it'll ever overtake DVD, but it's not going to as bad as a failure as people make it out to be.
I can't imagine the DVD being the final mass market standard. So I think the Blu-ray may one day overtake DVD. If not Blu-ray, then perhaps another HD format (like 2160p or even higher def?).
Old 02-11-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by namja
Actually no. People were so much more excited about DVDs and the sales didn't lag behind VHS for very long.
Do you or anyone know what it was percentage wise? I'd like to know. It'd be interesting to see a chart showing the progression.
Old 02-11-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This news isn't really new for many of us, who frequent BBs that have always displayed BDs instead of HD DVDs -- and this has been going on for quite a long time.
Old 02-11-08, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'd have to disagree with that. Of the people in my circle of friends and co-workers when DVD launched, a significant majority waited at least three years before buying into it. They still thought VHS was "good enough".

In fact, I'd have to say that virtually every argument that has been posited against HDM's potential for success (and especially with Blu-ray as the "winner" of the format war) is identical in both content and tone to the arguments made against DVD during its first three years, both by VHS holdouts and by many LD owners.

Just looking back at the sales stats for DVD players I found that, at this same point in DVD's life cycle, there were somewhere between 1.5 and 2 million players in the wild, including those in store inventories. How is that so different from what we've seen so far with HDM?
Old 02-11-08, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RoboDad
I'd have to disagree with that. Of the people in my circle of friends and co-workers when DVD launched, a significant majority waited at least three years before buying into it. They still thought VHS was "good enough".

In fact, I'd have to say that virtually every argument that has been posited against HDM's potential for success (and especially with Blu-ray as the "winner" of the format war) is identical in both content and tone to the arguments made against DVD during its first three years, both by VHS holdouts and by many LD owners.

Just looking back at the sales stats for DVD players I found that, at this same point in DVD's life cycle, there were somewhere between 1.5 and 2 million players in the wild, including those in store inventories. How is that so different from what we've seen so far with HDM?

It's different because "home theater" is MUCH bigger now than it was 10 years ago.
Old 02-11-08, 06:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by applesandrice
It's different because "home theater" is MUCH bigger now than it was 10 years ago.
Bigger? Yes. "MUCH" bigger? Not from what I've seen. The explosion of "home theater" in the 90's was much more significant than the growth since then.

But even assuming that premise, that doesn't answer the question. The players are averaging around the same price as they did at this point in the history of DVD (but in 2008 dollars, not 1998 dollars), the media is about $4-5 more on average, but not significantly different, and the level of adoption is almost identical. I don't understand the doom and gloom attitude of some people here. Maybe before people pronounce HDM dead, they should wait and see when or if it actually happens.
Old 02-11-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Also the number of people with sizable VHS collections was relatively small as compared to DVD collectors.
Old 02-11-08, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Do you or anyone know what it was percentage wise? I'd like to know. It'd be interesting to see a chart showing the progression.
I don't have a chart, but DVD surpassed VHS during 4Q 2001.
In the first 5 years, 675 million DVDs were sold (and 30 million DVD players).
http://sanjose.bizjournals.com/sanjo...7/daily34.html

This isn't exactly fair, of course, since VHS was primarily a rental medium while DVD was primarily a buying medium. For reference, DVD rentals outnumbered VHS rentals in June 2003 (and this isn't fair either for the same reason).

The point being, will we see HDM player sales hit 30 million within the first 5 years? Or 675 million HDMs sold? Highly doubtful. Relatively speaking, people jumped on DVD pretty fast.

Back on topic, everybody knows that the format war has been over for over a month now. News like this (and Netflix and more to come) are inevitable. Will news like this boost the sales of BD? Probably. Will it boost the total sales of HDM much faster than when there were 2 viable formats? Probably not. Again, it's not the format war that's stopping people from buying Blu-ray.
Old 02-11-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 310 Likes on 212 Posts
this is as close as i've been able to find:
http://web.archive.org/web/200204210...,39362,FF.html

the pie charts of home-video spending unfortunately do not have actual percentages, but they do show a progression from 1998 to 2001 and then an estimate for 2005. in 1998 (analogous to 2007 for HDM), DVD sales were what appears to be about 4-5% of overall home-video spending (which includes rentals as well as sales). by contrast, the following article says that HDM accounted for $300 million in sales in 2007, while DVD sales had $16 billion and rental business got $7.5 billion:
http://www.homemediamagazine.com/new...ticle_id=11825

if you do the math, that puts HDM sales at about 1.3% of consumer home video spending (purchase + rental) in 2007. that appears to lag behind DVD's performance at a comparable time in its lifecycle, but that's really not bad when you consider that HDM requires an HDTV. one should also note though, that the number includes HD DVD. Blu-ray on its own would be something like 0.85%.

this article also has some pretty good information:
http://web.archive.org/web/200409141...vsda071502.htm

Last edited by kefrank; 02-11-08 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-11-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank
this is as close as i've been able to find:
http://web.archive.org/web/200204210...,39362,FF.html
Interesting charts. Good reminder of how much of a technological leap DVD was when it came out. Also, the title of that article alone should signify something:
The Meteoric Rise of the DVD.
Old 02-11-08, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by MrChaos
While definitely big news, until they bring down their ridiculously high prices I don't imagine many will purchase from them.
You have to realize that the general public is willing to spend more on things than we are. We, many of the posters here, are some of the pickiest buyers when it comes to prices.
Old 02-11-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
You have to realize that the general public is willing to spend more on things than we are. We, many of the posters here, are some of the pickiest buyers when it comes to prices.
I forgot the general public are just dopes

Honestly, I don't think you're giving the general public enough credit here. I know too many people; coworkers, friends, family, etc who have said shelling out the money for HDM is absolutely ridiculous. They are happy with their SDVD players on their 40"-50" HDTVs even after they've watched HDM. The price point is still too high.
Old 02-11-08, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Will news like this boost the sales of BD? Probably. Will it boost the total sales of HDM much faster than when there were 2 viable formats? Probably not. Again, it's not the format war that's stopping people from buying Blu-ray.
While the format war may not be the only thing keeping people from buying in, it is a factor, and a bigger factor than you apparently give it "credit" for, since you seem to give it no share of the responsibility.

I don't think the intent of the announcement was to cause a sudden enormous spike in Blu-ray sales. This type of information takes time to foment any kind of confidence in the minds of consumers, but the timing is still good, because by the time the important fall buying season comes around, the idea that the war is over will be much more firmly cemented in their minds, and I think you may be surprised at how well Blu-ray does by the end of the year.
Old 02-11-08, 06:50 PM
Suspended

2 years and Blu-ray has yet to sell anywhere neat 1 million players...yikes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.