Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

BB 20% off coupon Blu-ray/HD-DVD Players Jan 25-28

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

BB 20% off coupon Blu-ray/HD-DVD Players Jan 25-28

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-08, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
In all actuality, this IS their policy. As has been noted, the markup on any video game system is very slim, and that is why they are excluded from coupons.
Anyone find it interesting that the PS3 is regarded as one of the best Blu-ray players on the market today by Blu-ray advocates (in terms of loading times, playback, upgradeability to 1.1 and 2.0 profiles, though no bitstreaming, but holding out hope for internal decoding of DTS-MA), and yet big retailers like Best Buy still classify them as a videogame console. Trojan horse, indeed.
Old 01-27-08, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotsofdvds
A phone call to 1-888-BEST-BUY says that they will honor the coupon on the PS3, and if a store manager refuses, to call them back and they will issue a check or gift card for the difference.
Out of curiosity, what service area are you being directed to when you call about this? I tried them three times this morning, in an attempt to get clarification before going into the store -- i.e. whether or not the coupon should be accepted and the support associate's name and direct number, if possible, so if/when the manager calls they can speak to the same person and get the same info I did -- but the Best Buy operators don't seem to know who I should be talking to about this. I was told by one that she didn't know anything about the coupon program, another couldn't understand that these weren't $5 Reward Zone vouchers I was talking about, and the third time I was apparently going to be on hold for 20 minutes and I gave up.

I'd really prefer not to buy the system first and then potentially be given an $80 gift card down the road; I want to actually save the $80 out of pocket.
Old 01-27-08, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts
Wow this new information changes things. I got a PS3 80 GB a few weeks ago, I'm definitely going to try to price adjust this coupon, whether I have to fax it or whatever.
Old 01-27-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Patman
Anyone find it interesting that the PS3 is regarded as one of the best Blu-ray players on the market today by Blu-ray advocates (in terms of loading times, playback, upgradeability to 1.1 and 2.0 profiles, though no bitstreaming, but holding out hope for internal decoding of DTS-MA), and yet big retailers like Best Buy still classify them as a videogame console. Trojan horse, indeed.

Not really. It was designed and meant to be a video game console. More people use it for video games than movies. The fact that it's an excellent Blu-Ray player is just incidental to its main purpose.
Old 01-27-08, 12:51 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
Not really. It was designed and meant to be a video game console. More people use it for video games than movies. The fact that it's an excellent Blu-Ray player is just incidental to its main purpose.
People play games on the PS3? Seriously?
Old 01-27-08, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Patman
It's funny cause the Best Buy I go to doesn't even have the PS3s in the video game section anymore, just the games. If you want to buy one you have to go over and get it in the HD section with the rest of the BR and HD players. I also saw a guy get shot down trying to use the 20% off coupon on the PS3 this morning.
Old 01-27-08, 02:01 PM
vgc

Originally Posted by TheNightFlier
It's funny cause the Best Buy I go to doesn't even have the PS3s in the video game section anymore, just the games. If you want to buy one you have to go over and get it in the HD section with the rest of the BR and HD players. I also saw a guy get shot down trying to use the 20% off coupon on the PS3 this morning.
A couple of things, I had the SONY BDP-S300 and I didn't like it. Too slow to come up and movies took forever to load. The remote was very slow too and hard to use. I took my Sony BDP-S300 and returned it and I got the PS3 instead, only for the blu-ray player. I exchanged for the PS3 on Wednesday and then yesterday I took on my 20% off blu ray coupon and my PS3 receipt. They said the system didn't want to give the discount, but she gave it to me anyway and gave me the 86.00 credit. It is probably YMMV, but the coupon doesn't state that it excludes it.

Thanks,
vgc
Old 01-27-08, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
I do and it is fun.
Old 01-27-08, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Bought mine for Blu-ray about a year ago...ended up getting Ratchet & Clank Future for Xmas...and had a blast. Super fun game and not too hard to pick up for the casual gamer. I'm now going to borrow Drake's Fortune from my brother and see how it goes...

So yes, people actually play games on the PS3. Maybe you should try it out.
Old 01-27-08, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts
This coupon ended up costing me an extra $80. Rock Band was just too much for me to resist
Old 01-27-08, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by John Galt
This coupon ended up costing me an extra $80. Rock Band was just too much for me to resist
Not to derail the thread but what is your PSN so that we can rock out sometime?
Old 01-27-08, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts
Originally Posted by Jericho
Can you back that up? Because I don't know if that's true.

I'm tempted to try this, but I probably need to hold off for a while. I'm very surprised that this went through for anyone though.
Old 01-27-08, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Shot down at my Best Buy. The cashier called a manager over, who was at least quite friendly, and I told them about the 888-BEST-BUY calls, the lack of PS3 exclusion on the coupon, etc. He showed me a clarification e-mail BB has sent out saying not to honor these coupons (although, for what it's worth, this wasn't posted or made available for the public to see) but told me that if I could get ahold of someone at the customer service number to confirm that it was alright to take, he would give me the discount. Unfortunately, I got a very rude woman on the phone who said that they were definitely not accepting it on the PS3 and that she "had the authority to override anything" that may have been told to me previously.

I wasn't about to waste more time fighting it, so it looks like I'll be waiting for the next big price drop on the system.
Old 01-27-08, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Hmm I wonder for the people who did call, have case numbers, and were told they would get a refund, will end up not getting one.
Old 01-27-08, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I went to Best Buy today to pick up a Sony standalone player and they were completely sold out...the earliest delivery is 2 weeks out on ALL BD players. This is the Schaumburg, IL store.

So much for using the 20% off coupon...that Warner announcement either had substantial impact or quite a few existing BD models are now EOL.

I'll search online, but may wait for the next generation at this rate.

I already have a 60GB PS3, so I'm in the market for a standalone BD player.
Old 01-28-08, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
I picked up an A30 on Saturday using the coupon aktick send me (thanks again). This will go great on my upstairs TV so I can play HD-DDVDs up there too. 9 free movies with it is a bonus too
Old 01-28-08, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This kind of garbage is why I refuse to shop at Best Buy anymore. They make giving your business to them a pain in the ass. Sorrt, I would rather pay full price for Amazon then deal with these PITA shucksters at Best Buy.

Even with coupons, tax in my area (around the highest in the nation - if not the nation) makes these kinda deals barely worth the trip
Old 01-28-08, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I ended up getting my PS3 about a year ago. I was cleaning out my collection of DVD's that i hardly-ever watched (spring cleaning). I noticed that I had a ton of titles that were impulse purchases that I thought I wouldve watched sooner than I did - just to never get around to it.

I had close to 170 SD movies (30 being sealed) and went to the local FYE and the employee's went ape-shit over all the titles - (Already picking out titles for themselves)

They asked me if I wanted trade of cash. I said trade - I dont need the cash

As I was trading in my titles the store manager noticed the amount of sealed titles I still had, and let me know... I said something along the lines of,' yeah, its sucks I paid full price for them, only later to get trade value. But thats impulse for ya! ' and I laughed.

He then set all the sealed titles asside.

Gave me my total (verbally), I said, 'what about those movies there? '

He than said, 'I'm going to give you full MSRP for those... I'm in a good mood!'

I ended up walking out of the store with 60g PS3 a couple games and ton of gift cards that were just fully spent here recently.

I was, from there on out a regular at that location - later after getting to know the employee's better I was offered a PT job. I work , one day a week from 5:30pm - 9:30pm.

So it pays to be nice and sometimes being at the mercy of the store manager - isnt that bad
Old 01-28-08, 01:20 PM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by True_Story1011
He then set all the sealed titles asside.

Gave me my total (verbally), I said, 'what about those movies there? '

He than said, 'I'm going to give you full MSRP for those... I'm in a good mood!'
I had a not-so-similar experience where I brought in a ton of titles to Gamestop way back when they offered $10 for every used title. But for me, I had to watch the employee open each and every sealed movie to verify that they were in the case.
Old 01-28-08, 01:25 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Sparrow
Well, I went to Best Buy today to pick up a Sony standalone player and they were completely sold out...the earliest delivery is 2 weeks out on ALL BD players. This is the Schaumburg, IL store.

So much for using the 20% off coupon...that Warner announcement either had substantial impact or quite a few existing BD models are now EOL.

I'll search online, but may wait for the next generation at this rate.

I already have a 60GB PS3, so I'm in the market for a standalone BD player.
I have not seen a new Samsung 1400 in over a month. The BDP-300 is still available as is the Panasonic 30.