Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Warner, New Line, Paramount, Universal ... The Studios/Networks Thread - Part 2

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Warner, New Line, Paramount, Universal ... The Studios/Networks Thread - Part 2

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-08, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like a regurgitation of the "no longer exclusive" story.

A link would be good.
Old 01-11-08, 08:39 PM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Its the same Variety story that Universal denied.
Old 01-11-08, 08:46 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ne...y/19054/?biz=1

Just posting the link. Not claiming anything about the reliability of the site since I've never heard of it.

Edit: Looks like it links back to the Variety article.
Old 01-11-08, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jim

Just posting the link. Not claiming anything about the reliability of the site since I've never heard of it.
Yup. The only thing that is true and has been reported is that Universal is no longer HD DVD exclusive. The rest seems to be some guy speculating.
Old 01-11-08, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jim

Yep. It goes back to the same Variety article.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ryId=1009&cs=1

Univesal has already responded and denied any coming bluray support.
Old 01-11-08, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts
As much as I would love to see Uni on Blu, given their staunch support of HD DVD over the past 2 years, they're going to have to post an actual quote or press release stating they are releasing on Blu before I believe it.
Old 01-11-08, 08:53 PM

Here's what kills me. This is the third paragraph in the Variety piece:
"Neither studio is ready to throw in the towel immediately, however. On Thursday, Universal broke its silence about the matter to say that it plans to keep supporting the format for the time being, a pledge Par made earlier in the week. And in any case, U is committed to a series of HD DVD promotions in coming months."

Compare that to the spin this guy put on it.

Thi si the reason why it is difficult to decipher fact from opinion. The web makes "reporting" without journalistic ethics easy, and at the same time a site (like this one) can appear to be totally legit.
Old 01-11-08, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
My question is, why are they prolonging this? I realize a lot is invested in this, but why not just rip the bandaid off and endure the short term pain because unless something drastic happens to the BD camp, there's no way HD-DVD is going to win...
Old 01-11-08, 08:58 PM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Damed
I haven't seen a response from them that denied Blu-ray support would be forthcoming. Do you have a link for that? All I've seen is that they will continue to support HD DVD. They left out the work 'exclusively' in the denials I've seen.
Old 01-11-08, 09:05 PM

This is under discussion here:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread....22#post8424022
This news and Universal's denial are a couple pages back.

They don't specifically deny going BD, but they do not say anything at all about going TO BD. At this point, their stance has not officially changed. If follows logic that they will eventually at least go neutral, but they may have other plans. No matter what, until it is officially announced, it is speculation.
Old 01-11-08, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Qui Gon Jim
Because it is the software that makes profits for the studios, and if you want studios to keep providing software there needs to be profit in it for them. They make nothing on every sale of a PS3.
This makes no sense at all. When did the studios start selling PS3s?

In fact, if reports are true, the only profit from a PS3 is the $20 that the retailer makes on it.
The PS3, like pretty much every other system with the exception of the Wii, have been sold at a loss. You need to explain what you mean because your post has nothing to do with what I was saying.
Old 01-11-08, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
My question is, why are they prolonging this? I realize a lot is invested in this, but why not just rip the bandaid off and endure the short term pain because unless something drastic happens to the BD camp, there's no way HD-DVD is going to win...
Maybe they are trying to work out BD licensing terms and are trying to figure out how profitable it will be to produce on one or both. They may be waiting on the fence for some incentive from one side or the other. They may have a financial stake in HD DVD. In time, I am sure their reasons will come out.
Old 01-11-08, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Unless something drastic happens to the DVD camp, neither BD or HD-DVD can ever "win".
Old 01-11-08, 09:13 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Lock?
Old 01-11-08, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by Quake1028
Unless something drastic happens to the DVD camp, neither BD or HD-DVD can ever "win".
No doubt about that, but I just want the whole thing to come into motion already. I'm tired of these endless discussions and speculations.
Old 01-11-08, 09:17 PM

Your original quote:
Why do attach rates even matter? We want the format that sells the most so that it's adopted widely. In that sense, attach rates don't matter. I don't understand why people keep harping on it.
I said that attach rate is important because if I am Fox for instance, and I am thinking about publishing on a format, the number of titles that are sold per potential customer is one of the numbers that helps me decide if the R&D dollars I will sink into a going with the new media will give me a decent ROI.

PS3 has sold a ton of units, but aside from each buyer being a potential customer, if I am a studio, I don't see any return on that sale.

If I DO see a nice ROI, I would turn around an produce more titles. My fear, especially now that one format is emerging as the winner, is that attach rates remain dismal, and studios slow their releases down to a trickle.

The second part of the quote is essentially the point you made after it. PS3 is sold at a loss so the only entity in the whole scheme of things that makes any money off the sale of a PS3 is the retailer that sells it (and their margins are reportedly very slim).
Old 01-11-08, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Lock?
Agreed.
Old 01-11-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Damn it, why hasn't this actually happened yet?
Old 01-11-08, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Because I haven't posted.
Old 01-11-08, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by johnglass
You purchased the 360 HD-DVD add-on to play standard DVD's? Doesn't the 360 play DVD's without the add-on?
I am no fool. I purchased it for the King Kong HD-DVD and that sweet remote. My point was that if you really use attach rates, I cut my attach rate in 1/2 for my DVD collection based on that purchase since both the 360 and the add-on play DVDs.
Old 01-12-08, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by sentineles
I am no fool. I purchased it for the King Kong HD-DVD and that sweet remote. My point was that if you really use attach rates, I cut my attach rate in 1/2 for my DVD collection based on that purchase since both the 360 and the add-on play DVDs.
This is true. I have 1000 DVDs but I have 9 or 10 DVD playback devices.

I think the difference comes with market penetration. I think it is a safe assumption that most BD equipped players are being sold to separate customers because of the price point so they probably assume a close to 1:1 ratio between players and customers.

At some point, the penetration into the marketplace will be deep enough that they count owners or households rather than players.

While it was more of an apples-to-apples comparison between HD DVD and BD, DVD and BD is an extremely different comparison.

Last edited by Qui Gon Jim; 01-12-08 at 07:20 AM.
Old 01-12-08, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Damed
Yep. It goes back to the same Variety article.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR111...ryId=1009&cs=1

They never said blu-ray. All they said was their current plan was to continue to support HD DVD. Just like WB saying in December that their current plan was to support both formats. I fully expect Paramount and Universal to keep supporting HD DVD for a while, but also releasing BD titles as well.
Old 01-12-08, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When a change happens, it will likely happen without warning. Any statements from these companies don't mean shit unless they are 100% unfaltering, even then they often retread. It's probably because all the big decisions occur from the highest of the higher-ups with little to no notice to the PR spinners.
Old 01-12-08, 09:58 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
They will vocally support HD DVD until the 90 day return window on holiday shopping is over, and as much back stock as possible is cleared. By then, most retailers will go BR only and the studios will officially follow suit.

They know what they plan to do now, but it would be not be cost effective to announce it now.
Old 01-12-08, 02:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Goldblum
Any statements from these companies don't mean shit unless they are 100% unfaltering, even then they often retread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.