HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

christmas help

Old 12-03-07, 05:59 PM

christmas help

okay im going to purchase eathier an HD or a Blue Rayfor christmas. We have a sony SXRD im fairly sure its 1080p, but does it matter if the dvd player is i or p? I need some sugestions on what to buy. I dont want to really google this subject. Ive got around a $600 range.
Old 12-03-07, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by protoman
okay im going to purchase eathier an HD or a Blue Rayfor christmas. We have a sony SXRD im fairly sure its 1080p, but does it matter if the dvd player is i or p? I need some sugestions on what to buy. I dont want to really google this subject. Ive got around a $600 range.
Look at the tiles that are exclusive to both formats and decide which of them interest you the most. If you are interested in playing games as well as movies then the PS3 is the best value. If you simply want HD movies then an HD-Dvd player would be your best bet if there titles are ones that interest you. Either way you cant lose and there is a good chance at some point you will end up with them both.
Old 12-03-07, 06:05 PM

well i would obviously prefer 1080i, but is that compatible with my tv?
Old 12-03-07, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well i would obviously prefer 1080i, but is that compatible with my tv?
It probably won't matter because the set should deinterlace to 1080p anyway. Even if it can't accept 1080p, the player can be set for 1080i output.

I would get one or the other (though I would lean towards the PS3) and enjoy that for a few months before considering the other. I started with HD DVD last year, and I was plenty busy even with last year's selection. Obviously now a new owner has lots more to choose from.

One thing you may want to know is that the PS3 uses either the controller or a separately sold Bluetooth remote to control it. The remote isn't infrared so it won't work with current universal remotes. Naturally, this irks people who have expensive universal remotes. So you'd be using a separate remote.

However, you can get a USB dongle for it and control most of the needed functions with an IR remote that way. You still won't be able to turn it on or off, but remember that you have to get up anyway to put in a disc or take it out.
Old 12-03-07, 06:20 PM
Banned by request

http://www.dvdtalk.com/hd/hd_holiday_guide.html
Old 12-03-07, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if your budget is $600, i would recommend a 40GB PS3 for Blu-ray playback and one of the ~$200 HD DVD players (Toshiba HD-A2 or A3 or Venturer SHD7000). then you can enjoy all the hi-def titles available.
Old 12-03-07, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kefrank
if your budget is $600, i would recommend a 40GB PS3 for Blu-ray playback and one of the ~$200 HD DVD players (Toshiba HD-A2 or A3 or Venturer SHD7000). then you can enjoy all the hi-def titles available.
Very nice!!! Time to make attack on the sales.
Old 12-03-07, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kefrank
Bingo. Check out:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=519014

A2 for $199 with 5 movies instantly (and 5 by mail) and a 40GB PS3 for $399.99 (and 5 by mail) with an instant $50 gift card (which could buy 2-3 Blu-ray movies). Instant collection of both formats and 8 movies right away
Old 12-03-07, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Bingo. Check out:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=519014

A2 for $199 with 5 movies instantly (and 5 by mail) and a 40GB PS3 for $399.99 (and 5 by mail) with an instant $50 gift card (which could buy 2-3 Blu-ray movies). Instant collection of both formats and 8 movies right away
Very nice advice!!! This will give him both players at just a bit over 600 bucks with the 50 dollar gift card to offset that difference. Plus he can send off for ten movies plus the 5 free to start both of his collections.
Old 12-03-07, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
Very nice advice!!! This will give him both players at just a bit over 600 bucks with the 50 dollar gift card to offset that difference. Plus he can send off for ten movies plus the 5 free to start both of his collections.
This deal seems like a no brainer for those uncertain about either format. For $600 you get both formats, a PS3 for gaming, 5 HD DVD movies, and a $50 GC that can be used to lower the cost of the HD DVD player (buy it after the PS3), or for 2-3 movies on either format (though go for Blu to even it out).

Don't forget www.monoprice.com for cheap HDMI cables. Don't spend $30+ for those, spend $4-6 and get 2 of them shipped to your door.

dsa, I'm glad we agree
Old 12-03-07, 06:53 PM

im not looking to buy a ps3, just a dvd player. is there a difference between $200 and a $600 or??
Old 12-03-07, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

im not looking to buy a ps3, just a dvd player. is there a difference between $200 and a $600 or??

Confused. Do you want HD DVD, Blu-ray, or DVD?
Old 12-03-07, 06:58 PM

HD DVD, or blu ray
Old 12-03-07, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HD DVD, or blu ray

You do understand that there many titles on available on either one or the other format?
Old 12-03-07, 07:05 PM

yes, i just want the best quality. just tell me that. no problems compatable and all that good stuff. point me in that direction.
Old 12-03-07, 07:06 PM

The A2, i noticed the A20, big difference?
Old 12-03-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Too many questions...

http://www.dvdtalk.com/hd/hd_holiday_guide.html

Figure out what kind of format you want (movie wise) to buy for and then we can help you.

A2 = 1080I
A20 = 1080P
Old 12-04-07, 07:51 AM

The reason everyone is saying to buy a ps3 is because it's just as much, if not cheaper, than a blu-ray player. The PS3 plays blu-rays, and because of the price, people have opted just to buy it (that way they have the option to play games as well). And even if you know that you will never play a game on it, the Wal-Mart deal this Friday still makes it a no-brainer to pick it up if you want blu-ray. The PS3 is $399 (which is about the same price of the cheapesst blu-ray player) plus you get a $50 gift card (and I know that some include Spider-Man 3, but I'm not sure about that). So if you were wanting to spend $600 and didn't mind having both formats, you can buy the PS3 for about $400, then buy an HD-DVD player for around $200. With the Wal-Mart deals thsi Friday, if you buy both of those, you will get a $50 gift card with the PS3 and 5 free HD-DVD movies with the HD-DVD player. Then you can do the mail-in rebate to receive 5 more HD-DVD movies (buy buying the HD-DVD player) and 5 more blu-ray movies (for buying the PS3). Those mail-in offers aren't the greatest selection, but they're free! Now if you want to just purchase a Blu-Ray player, you can get one for about $400, and still do the same thing, but the $50 gift card makes it a sweet deal.

As for having to decide between the two...that's a tough question that probably won't be completely answered for a long time. I wasn't going to go HD at all until the format war was over, but the $99 HD-DVD player last month made me go HD-DVD. But I haven't even hooked it up, because I don't have any HD-DVD movies yet. It all really depends on which movies you want, at this point, but you may want movies on both formats (i.e. Transformers, Shrek the Third, or Bourne Ultimatum on HD-DVD, or Ratatouille, Spider-Man 3, or Pirates of the Caribbean on Blu-Ray). It really is a tough call. As for quality...there really isn't much difference (though some will debate it...the overwhelming census believes there isn't much difference).
Old 12-04-07, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

PS3 is a great Blu-ray player and up-scaling DVD player and provides the added bonus of playing Rock Band (and other PS3 games). This has provided hours of fun for my family.
Old 12-04-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There is no quality difference between HD-DVD and BR. You need to do your own research, not ask vague questions and expect an exact answer. It's not very hard. The advice you need is already in this thread.