Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Room requirement questions for 1080p Projector

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-07, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im about to remodel my basement into an entertainment/dance room. I was thinking of getting another HDTV but then I decided to think about a 1080p projector. The room Im using has the low lighting/darkness necessary but Im wondering about the height requirements for the room. My question is what height requirements for the room is needed for various sized projectors? I have the open wall space. Im sure there is a website that calculates this for you. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance!!
Old 12-04-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Height requirements shouldn't be an issue. The only thing it would limit would be your screen size. I think you need to clarify you question to get a better answer.
Old 12-04-07, 12:35 PM

I think the general rule of thumb is that for every 2 feet you move the projector back, you get a 1 foot wide image. So you if you know your width, you could calculate the height based on a 4:3 or 16:9 aspect ratio. Of course I'm far too lazy to do the math myself, and I could be totally wrong about the assumptions about distance.
Old 12-04-07, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Of course, you'll need a 1080p-ready wall.
Old 12-04-07, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
Originally Posted by gmal2003
Im about to remodel my basement into an entertainment/dance room. I was thinking of getting another HDTV but then I decided to think about a 1080p projector. The room Im using has the low lighting/darkness necessary but Im wondering about the height requirements for the room. My question is what height requirements for the room is needed for various sized projectors? I have the open wall space. Im sure there is a website that calculates this for you. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advance!!

http://www.carltonbale.com/home-thea...er-calculator/
Old 12-04-07, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
It will depend on what kind of projector you get (DLP or LCD) and the offset if it is fixed. Generally, DLP models have a fixed offset while LCDs have lens shift which helps with placement flexibility. The offset is a percentage of the image's height that the image will be shifted - it won't be straight ahead (unless the offset is 0), but raised or lowered depending on how the projector is oriented (straight up on a table or upside down from the ceiling). LCD models usually allow you to adjust the image (lens shift), so if you're worried about placement you could just get an LCD.

The distance will vary from projector to projector, and will be affected by how large and high off the ground you want the screen. If your ceiling is at least 8 feet high you'll certainly have enough room.
Old 12-04-07, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The ceiling in my parents' basement is only 7' and they have an image that's 6.5' wide (suddenly too lazy to do the rest of the math . . .).

Anyhow, what everybody else said so far.
Old 12-04-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by applesandrice
The ceiling in my parents' basement is only 7' and they have an image that's 6.5' wide (suddenly too lazy to do the rest of the math . . .).

Anyhow, what everybody else said so far.
Thats good to know because my ceiling is low. Im about 6 foot 4 and the ceiling is just above me so its in the 7 foot range. What Ill do is measure the entire room and get you guys oppinions. As far as that one chart goes, either Im stupid (which I dont think), or Im too tired from work now but I didnt understand it. Ill have to look at it again more throughly.
Old 12-04-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kenbuzz

Of course, you'll need a 1080p-ready wall.
Ok I get it now! (just had to look at it). So this applies to tube tvs AND projectors? Also, whats a 1080p ready wall? I was just gonna buy a screen.

O yea, and where does 1080i play on that graph? My living room TV is 1080i so would it fall in the 720p category or the 1080p one or in between?

Last edited by gmal2003; 12-04-07 at 05:10 PM.
Old 12-04-07, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
according to that graph, I am sitting waaay too close to my projector.

I have a panasonic 720p dlp 2000 lumen projector with a 106" screen and am only sitting about 6-7 feet away, I can only move back so far before I get in the way of the dartboard and then pool table.

I may have to re-think my rec room design.
Old 12-04-07, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Every projector is going to be different. If you're looking at a specific model, visit the manufacturer's web site and look for a throw distance calculator.

Also, this web site has useful specs and information on many home theater projectors:

www.projectorcentral.com
Old 12-04-07, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dan30oly
according to that graph, I am sitting waaay too close to my projector.

I have a panasonic 720p dlp 2000 lumen projector with a 106" screen and am only sitting about 6-7 feet away, I can only move back so far before I get in the way of the dartboard and then pool table.

I may have to re-think my rec room design.
As long as you're comfortable with it, that's all that matters. Some people like to sit closer. The distances in the chart are only to show how close you would have to sit to be able to take in the detail, and are minimum distances rather than absolute distances.

In fact, if you have multiple rows of seating, the plan would be to have the back row at the chart distance with the front row(s) sitting closer.