HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Jurassic Park? (Quick question)

Old 11-21-07, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Jurassic Park? (Quick question)

Are any of the movies in this trilogy on HD-DVD or BR?
Old 11-21-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not as of yet.

They are Universal releases, so technically they'd be HD-DVD candidates.

HOWEVER, given that these are Spielberg films, he can dictate how/when he wants them released.
Old 11-21-07, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've decided these will be upgrade candidates when they are released however with Universal preferring HDDVD and Spielberg with only one title released as a Blu Ray only, it may take a while before we see more. I remember he held off from going DVD at all. He released a crap version of 1942 and then Saving Private Ryan came out and was a huge seller. I'm all for Spielberg in HD
Old 11-21-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

While not a big fan of Jurassic Park for some reason this has to be one of my most anticipated releases for High Definition.
Old 11-21-07, 11:47 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Damed
Not as of yet.

They are Universal releases, so technically they'd be HD-DVD candidates.

HOWEVER, given that these are Spielberg films, he can dictate how/when he wants them released.
Technically, this is not true. The studios like to keep Spielberg happy, but if Universal was really determined to release these HD DVD only and by the end of the year, Spielberg couldn't stop them. Spielberg does not own the rights to the movies he did with Universal.

If I'm wrong about that, someone can let me know.
Old 11-22-07, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Damed
He didn't direct JP3....only "produced" it, same as with Bay's TRANSFORMERS, so there shouldn't be any real issue with that one at least...
Old 11-22-07, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Technically, this is not true. The studios like to keep Spielberg happy, but if Universal was really determined to release these HD DVD only and by the end of the year, Spielberg couldn't stop them. Spielberg does not own the rights to the movies he did with Universal.

If rumors hold true and Spielberg is planning on leaving Paramount for Universal very soon they may not release those movies right now for that very reason.
Old 11-22-07, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Spielberg does not own the rights to the movies he did with Universal.
Most were coproductions between Universal and Spielberg's production company, Amblin Entertainment. Spielberg has been a pretty savvy businessman. I'm sure he retains some percentage of ownership in his movies with Univerasal.
Old 11-22-07, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
If rumors hold true and Spielberg is planning on leaving Paramount for Universal very soon they may not release those movies right now for that very reason.
If those rumors are true, I really hope it means Universal and Spielberg will work together to release all his Universal movies.
Old 11-22-07, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just remember Jurassic Park being among those Spielberg titles that were not getting released in the early stages because Spielberg didn't want them released until the format proved itself.
Old 06-03-11, 06:20 AM
Hal

Re: Jurassic Park? (Quick question)

It's confirmed! w an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G collector's edition packaging

here

Old 06-03-11, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Bring on the announcement for North America!
Old 06-03-11, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

gimme gimme gimme!
Old 06-03-11, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

$35 and I'll bite. Only the first is any good.
Old 06-03-11, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The consistency across Spielberg releases (Laurent Beauzerau-produced documentaries, no commentary, the use of DTS audio etc.) across various studios pretty much proves that he has a great deal of control over his releases. I'm sure he's had some sort of home video approval clause on his films probably as far back as the 80's and he has enough pull to control his early releases like "Jaws" as well. Universal isn't going to want him to sink something like a "Jurassic Park" release because they put out a crappy "Jaws" release or bundle it with the inferior sequels.
Old 06-03-11, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Guru Askew View Post
The consistency across Spielberg releases (Laurent Beauzerau-produced documentaries, no commentary, the use of DTS audio etc.) across various studios pretty much proves that he has a great deal of control over his releases. I'm sure he's had some sort of home video approval clause on his films probably as far back as the 80's and he has enough pull to control his early releases like "Jaws" as well. Universal isn't going to want him to sink something like a "Jurassic Park" release because they put out a crappy "Jaws" release or bundle it with the inferior sequels.
I'm sure he has a degree of control, without doubt. That is a good thing, since the BDs of his films thus far have been generally well-received.

I actually want Jaws on BD much more than Jurassic Park, but hey, I'll take what I can get!
Old 06-03-11, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That set looks like a shitty diorama, but I would definitely buy a trilogy pack for under $40. Gizmo is mostly right - only the first is worth a shit. The second is weak with some good moments, the third feels like it doesn't fit quite well, but it's better than LW.
Old 06-03-11, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Hal View Post
It's confirmed! w an A-M-A-Z-I-N-G collector's edition packaging

here

According to the site, the trilogy is scheduled for October 24, 2011 in Spain. Three edition will be available; Standard edition, Steelbook/Metalpack and a Collector's Edition with T-Rex statue. Though, there has not been any confirmation if the Steelbook will be a retailer exclusive or general release.
Old 06-03-11, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

^ Spain? Aren't they bankrupt? What are they doing buying SteelBooks and T-Rex statues?
Old 06-03-11, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superdaddy View Post
Bring on the announcement for North America!
That explains it. I saw the ad and thought I came down with dyslexia. Then I'd have to lay awake at night wondering if there is a Dog.

Can't come soon enough. It was supposed to be for last holiday season so I'm guessing it will be this November
Old 06-03-11, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The sound mix will be rattling some windows.... and I can't wait!
Old 06-03-11, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
The sound mix will be rattling some windows.... and I can't wait!
Haha...the T. rex footfalls will go through the foundation of the house.

I think I have a name for this type of audio...a "what the heck!" mix. Since after I emerge from my tiny basement HT after watching a movie like this, my wife always says, "WHAT THE HECK WERE YOU WATCHING DOWN THERE?"

She did that after I played Close Encounters too. The spaceship hovering over Dreyfuss' truck vibrated the walls for a couple of minutes straight.
Old 06-04-11, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If it does get announced in the US, this is a case where I hope they do have individual releases.

I've bought box sets featuring films I don't like (ex: the Batman Anthology w/ Batman & Robin, the Superman Anthology w/ Superman III and IV), but in this case, the only film I like is the first one. The second one is just incredibly dull and boring, to the point that I can never watch it without falling asleep, and the third one, while an improvement on The Lost World, just isn't a film I enjoy watching). The first one is the only one I'm interested in grabbing.
Old 06-04-11, 09:53 AM
Banned

JP1 all the way.
Old 06-04-11, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are they going to try and shove all the Jaws movies down our throats as well when that comes out? No thanks, just the first one...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.