HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Was it hard to say goodbye to DVD?

Old 10-01-07, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Was it hard to say goodbye to DVD?

DVD, you and I have so many fond memories. From getting off at work and heading over to Wal-Mart to pick up The Phantom Menace at midnight. To arriving at Best Buy or Target on a Tuesday morning and searching for the best slipcover on that new release.

Now it appears that's all gone.

From what I gather a lot of posters here won't even bother to purchase DVDs anymore. I do, I pick up the occasional classic or foreign film. With new releases I stick to the HD formats.

Those Tuesday mornings are all gone now though. I do get excited for movies, Transformers and Spider-Man HD releases have me counting down the days. But the b&m prices on HD releases have yet to reach the kind of deals that DVDs get.

I'm a niche collector now.
Old 10-01-07, 07:51 AM

I still occasionally purchase DVD's (mostly TV sets), but it wasn't a hard decision. Just decided to go out that April morning in 06' and purchase an A1 followed by the purchase of a BDP-1000 in June of 06' (since replaced by the BDP-S300 and HD-A20).

Simply put, I love films and want to watch them in the absolute best quality available.
Old 10-01-07, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I find myself only buying Steelbooks of regular releases and some OOP's if the deal is right and I want them bad enough. I live in a condo, so shelf space is at a premium, so I have to stock it with premium releases. Long live Hi Def!
Old 10-01-07, 08:07 AM

i still love DVDs...the LIMITED EDITION sets only. I don't buy the mass produced set.
Old 10-01-07, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My Tuesdays haven't been the same for a while now...I used to go out and buy everything my wallet would let me, now since Amazon is way cheaper, I go to the stores, look at the blu-ray and HD DVD discs and then have to wait for Amazon to get them to me... I'll miss that, but do I miss buying subpar versions of new releases? No way. Dvd used to be the hottest chick in town, but her cuter younger sister just moved in.

DVD

High Def
Old 10-01-07, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not really. I still buy DVDs for titles that won't be coming to HD for a long time, but otherwise I'm done with standard def. Hell, I have trouble watching the non-HD part of my collection these days now that I've seen and heard what HD-DVD/Blu-ray are capable of.
Old 10-01-07, 09:18 AM

I still buy DVDs when I see good bargains, but am reserving my purchases of all new releases (Transformers, Spider Man 3, Blade Runner) for HD only as these titles will certainly benefit with HD's better visual and audio. For most older titles, I will not bother buying in HD unless the studios comes out with a newer, more definitive release. I'm always a sucker for newer special editions. This means, I won't be rebuying the majority of the titles I already own on SD, not unless I can get them for a really low price and I don't see that happening any time soon.
Old 10-01-07, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The only thing hard about saying goodbye to DVD is the process of actually getting rid of the damn discs.
Old 10-01-07, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I haven't said good bye yet, the HD library just isn't big enough.

I just don't buy new releases anymore Unless they're TV shows.
Old 10-01-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have slowed down considerably. But I should point out that Criterion is still releasing great dvds that get me excited - but that's about it.
Old 10-01-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh Z
The only thing hard about saying goodbye to DVD is the process of actually getting rid of the damn discs.
I'm just going to give a lot of DVDs (used/new) from my collection as Christmas gifts to co-workers, that's the easiest way to get rid of them and not spend too much on gifts.
Old 10-01-07, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I stopped buying a lot a few years ago, I'm not really thrilled with the latest Hollywood offerings and my fiance likes to see movies in the theater, so I have been going to the theater more often again. Plus I don't have the space anymore.

I will pick up the occasional new release, i.e. Transformers, but I'm happy I guess with Netflix at this point.

I have the A2, but won't be doing much upgrading, I think.

Last edited by chanster; 10-01-07 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-01-07, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nah, it wasn't hard at all... i have stopped buying dvds for over six months now. I skipped so many dvd bargains...

After watching movies in HD, it's hard to go back... obviously most movies on my to-be-watched list are dvds, but still, every time i watch them, i wish they were in HD...
Old 10-01-07, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Not hard... I stopped buying after May 06'... Now I'm looking forward to swapping out my DVD's, saving shelf space, etc. So in a sense, I get to relive some of that initial DVD collection building.

I still get that tingling feeling of excitement putting a new BD in it's spot on the shelf.

Last edited by Artman; 10-01-07 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-01-07, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I do admit to missing those Tuesday mornings, but thats been gone for a while now...
Old 10-01-07, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Artman
Not hard... I stopped buying after May 06'... Now I'm looking forward to swapping out my DVD's, saving shelf space, etc. So in a sense, I get to relive some of that initial DVD collection building.
That IS fun isn't it?!?!
Old 10-01-07, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I actually like the convenience of HD DVD/Blu Ray, which is basically ordering online and still knowing I'm getting the best price. And I don't buy DVDs anymore, except in cases where I don't think an HD version will either be available anytime soon. For instance, I'm getting Season 4 of the Wire on DVD. So it's not so bad. I do still watch my DVDs, but many times I think how much better this title could look in HD.
Old 10-01-07, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh Z
Exactly. I don't get this nostalgia for SD DVD now that there is something better available.
Old 10-01-07, 01:26 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
DVD, you and I have so many fond memories. From getting off at work and heading over to Wal-Mart to pick up The Phantom Menace at midnight. To arriving at Best Buy or Target on a Tuesday morning and searching for the best slipcover on that new release.

Now it appears that's all gone.

From what I gather a lot of posters here won't even bother to purchase DVDs anymore. I do, I pick up the occasional classic or foreign film. With new releases I stick to the HD formats.

Those Tuesday mornings are all gone now though. I do get excited for movies, Transformers and Spider-Man HD releases have me counting down the days. But the b&m prices on HD releases have yet to reach the kind of deals that DVDs get.

I'm a niche collector now.
Old 10-01-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still buy SD discs, mostly for movies I know won't be on HD for a long time (or at all) or movies I really don't care for in HD.

I have tried to get movies in HD that I know would benefit from being in that format. For example something like "Batman Begins" was a no-brainer, but something like "40 Year Old Virgin" would be pretty low on my priority list.

My Tuesday's have slowed down drastically, but not because of the HD/SD formats. The slow down mostly has come from personally trying to spend a lot less on DVD's nowadays.
Old 10-01-07, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I rent a heckuva lot of DVDs, but I've only bought a handful since HD DVD and Blu-ray launched, and all but a couple of those were TV-on-DVD sets.

The Tuesday ritual has definitely keeled over now that I order pretty much everything online.
Old 10-01-07, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still buy dvds quite frequently so I never had to "say goodbye". There are plenty of films that will never make it anywhere near to hd so I continue building the collection.
Old 10-01-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

SD as the standard will continue for some time I believe. I wouldn't count on getting everything you want on HD or Blu-Ray for several months or even a few years. The earliest I see the majority of releases in HD over SD is 2009. I will still buy select SD releases for the movies that I really want that are released only in that format. Now, I have cutback on my dvd buying in general, whether it be Blu-Ray, HD-Dvd (newly adopted) or SD releases.
Old 10-01-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So for everyone who has stopped buying SD DVD's, are you picking up the titles in HD at the higher prices? If not, then it sounds like you would be in a position of preferring not to watch the movie at all rather than buy SD (lower quality) or HD (higher price). For must-have titles, I'm sure you'll probably just pick it up in HD. But I'm sure there are lots of good movies that sit in that range that seems a bit expensive to pick up in HD, yet you don't want to buy the much cheaper version in SD.

Personally, with the HD format crap still going on and the price of HD discs still too high, I still purchase many regular DVD's. I'll pick up something in HD if I really like the movie and think it will really enhance the viewing experience. But I don't beat myself up thinking there is a better version out there when watching SD DVD's.
Old 10-01-07, 04:31 PM

I started cutting down my DVD buying over a year ago. Mostly renting with buying an average of 1-2 a month. I got a PS3 and HD-A2 a few weeks back and now it's only HD for me. Luckily I have a couple of regional music stores where I can find used HD titles. It is sparse, but at least it gives me something to look forward to once a week.

My main goal is to keep my average cost per an HD title under $15. Between these stores, various trade forums and occasional on-line deals I think I'll be able to do that. I stilll don't plan on buying lots of HD titles, maybe around 4-5 per month at most.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.