HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Was it hard to say goodbye to DVD?

Old 10-31-07, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
I haven't said good bye yet, the HD library just isn't big enough.
Ex-actly.

Even if you're format neutral, you only have about 500-600 titles out there in HD. Compared to 100,000+ on standard DVD. Unless you're someone who only watches major (and recent) Hollywood films, I can't imagine ever saying "goodbye" to DVD. Even if HD becomes wildly successful, it'll never fully replicate what has come out so far... both because of economics and condition of source.

I've recently purchased Wild and Woolly (1917), Pudd'nhead Wilson (1984), Royal Mounted Rides Again, and Tiefland on DVD. I don't expect to see either HD format putting out any one of those within my lifetime.
Old 10-31-07, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

goodbye dvds! i've officially severed dvd bargain hunting habbit, hello HD-DVD and BD!

i'll slowly get rid of the dvds i have on hand right now to support my HD hobby (both BD and HD-DVD, but if the movie is on both format, i'll get the BD version). Even at $1.99 a piece, dvds are still waste of space and money... Well known movies are rarely discounted like that, so that makes saying goodbye even easier.
Old 10-31-07, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ocelot
dvds are still waste of space and money...

Will you be saying that about your HD media in 10 years too?

Do you enjoy movies... or the format that they're distributed on? Not trying to flame... I'm just honestly confused by this approach. You've been a DVD buyer ("bargain hunter") presumably for many years. And you're now not only stopping just because there are ~500 titles out on a new format, but you actually seem a bit hostile towards the whole concept of DVD. What's up with that?
Old 11-01-07, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bboisvert

Will you be saying that about your HD media in 10 years too?

Do you enjoy movies... or the format that they're distributed on? Not trying to flame... I'm just honestly confused by this approach. You've been a DVD buyer ("bargain hunter") presumably for many years. And you're now not only stopping just because there are ~500 titles out on a new format, but you actually seem a bit hostile towards the whole concept of DVD. What's up with that?
Actually, in 10 years if they have a new superior format, i'll dump my HD-DVD and BD collection as well... My reason is this... it cost me "money" to watch a movie or show, if there's a better format, i'll go with that!

I have been watching HD movies a lot lately and tell you the truth, i can't really go back! It's not about trashing dvds, it's about getting more of out life! With the promotions and stuffs, you can jump on the HD-DVD and BD wagon fairly cheap. The only thing i hate is that there are two HD format as of now and the only way to enjoy HD is to own both players or a dual player.

Think about it, would you want to "waste" another hour and half or so on Robocop on dvd or BD?

I don't have sentimental feelings for my dvd collection, just like i liquidated my VHS collection prior to dvds...

Hell, if there's a HDtalk.com right now, i will join that forum in a heartbeat... The only reason i haven't b/c most sites are in favor of one format and too much flaming going on instead of useful information....

Last edited by Ocelot; 11-01-07 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-02-07, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a HD supporter and still buy regular dvds, but only TV box sets and movies that are BD exclusive only. But that may change when I finally get the PS3.

My dvd buying has dropped sharply over the past three months though.
Old 11-04-07, 02:14 AM

We know how how much resolution (720x480) a DVD disc can stretch to. But how many color tones, or how rich variations in color, is it able to present? Is there a color potential on the DVD disc that will be much better presented on a LCD HD-TV, than an ordinary TV?
Old 12-06-07, 03:45 AM

Sony Bravia LCD HDTVs, like other LCDs, are known for having unstable picture, unless they have the Motionflow function in the more expensive models. But it also depends on other factors than Motionflow, which I don't have knowledge about.

How stable is the picture in a Sony VAIO VGN-AR690U?

A review for VAIO VGN-AR5SU says that the WinDVD BD 8.0 software is a bit unstable under Vista . But that it can be fixed with an update. Does "update" mean future models, or that I can fix it myself?

Last edited by Terri; 12-06-07 at 03:49 AM.
Old 12-06-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

While I never stopped buying/renting DVDs (only slowed substantially), I'm now saying 'hello' to DVD again and giving up on high def until studios get their heads out their asses. From the pricing and lack of sales (for HD-DVD, at least ) to the very weak current and upcoming selection of films, it's just too irritating for me to bother with right now, especially knowing it could and should be totally different. See ya, HD!
Old 12-06-07, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Imports not in HD or BR and the occassional find in the Walmart $5 bin. Otherwise, it's all HD.
Old 12-06-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Gambit
So for everyone who has stopped buying SD DVD's, are you picking up the titles in HD at the higher prices?
I used to buy DVDs almost indiscriminately, which is not difficult to do when DDD sales come along and you've got a list of 100 titles you could get at $5 or less. When HD DVD first came out, I bought a lot of discs just to build a library but honestly some were so bad (Aeon Flux, Dukes of Hazzard) that I traded them as soon as I could.

What has happened is that because I'm so picky with HD DVD releases I tend to watch them, on average, much more than a DVD. My DVDs get watched on average once (considering I've got a ton unwatched). I've seen the average HD DVD I have at least twice.

So if I'm not buying any HD media because of the price and I'm not buying DVDs because of them being outdated, what am I doing?

Going to the movies. A lot.
Old 12-06-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have learned to control myself with my Blu-ray purchases. I only buy video that really takes advantage of the HD format. Science Fiction with a lot of color and flash and my foreign movies like 'House of Flying Daggers' and 'Crouching Tiger' that are so beautiful to look at. So far I have 'Planet Earth', the Discovery Atlas series, Pirates 1&2, Spiderman 1,2&3, 5th Element, Kung Fu Hussle, Underworld 1&2, Final Fantasy, Warriors of Heaven, memoirs of a Giesha (sp). I did however buy 'Live Free or Die Hard' in HD for $13 and I am thinking about Harry Potter. I believe I will get LOTR, again for the third time if it makes it to BR. The only thing that kept me from the 'Matrix' box is that it was only HD and not BR.
Old 12-06-07, 12:46 PM

I'll still buy an occasional DVD.. mostly stuff that I like and is RARE or I know will be hard to find and I know will not make it to BR or HDDVD anytime soon
Old 12-06-07, 01:33 PM

Not having a built in High Definition player in my mini-van is a problem. Otherwise, the switch has been great. I wouldn't buy anything in SD except for the kids and mini-van issue.
Old 12-06-07, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With my new 61 inch TV. I'm loving both HD & Blu-ray to death. I don't miss standard dvd's at all. In fact I haven't watch many in the last 4 months. I've only baught Boston Legal S3 and Family Guy. I will continue to buy the odd tv show like Hawaii 5-0 S3 in January but that's about it. I don't see myself purchasing any more movies in the future if it's not available in hi-def.