Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Toshiba HD DVD Firmware Update & Discussion Thread Part II

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Toshiba HD DVD Firmware Update & Discussion Thread Part II

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-07, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mark4mich
I have an A3 and it says 1.0/1.1? Does that mean I have 1.1?
It's usually the first set of numbers so you're at 1.0
Old 11-07-07, 03:00 PM

I had freeze up problems with the Superman Returns combo disc in my new A3 with the original fw (1.0). Updated to 1.1 via disc, and it played flawlessly. Nice. . .
Old 11-08-07, 07:35 AM
Cool New Member

So i tried to upgrade the firmware on my A3 from 1.0 to 1.1. I burned the ISO file onto a CD-R and put it in the player. I got a message that this is not a DVD disc. What gives?
Old 11-08-07, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by mark4mich
So i tried to upgrade the firmware on my A3 from 1.0 to 1.1. I burned the ISO file onto a CD-R and put it in the player. I got a message that this is not a DVD disc. What gives?
sounds like you just copy the file on the CD-R., which is not gonna to work.

I suggest you go back to previous page and see TheMovieman's post, and follow the instruction.
Old 11-08-07, 07:47 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by tsetse27
sounds like you just copy the file on the CD-R., which is not gonna to work.

I suggest you go back to previous page and see TheMovieman's post, and follow the instruction.
Thanks for the reply. I'll try that this evening.
Old 11-08-07, 10:48 AM

I could not get my A2 to recognize "The Wild Bunch" HD-DVD. I did the firmware upgrade thanks to forums like this, and it loaded and played flawlessly immediately after.
Old 11-09-07, 08:13 AM
Cool New Member

Guys, thanks for the tips. Used the Movieman's post and upgraded to 1.1
Old 11-09-07, 12:56 PM

I just successfully installed 2.5 on my Toshiba A2, hoping it would allow me to decode DD+ on my Onkyo SR605 and A2.. however, it does not.

So, question for A2 owners: Are you able to successfully decode DD+ audio through your DD+ capable receivers? If so, what are your menu settings on the A2?

I currently have an AudioQuest 1.3 HDMI cable from player to receiver, btw.

Thanks in advance--please help!
Old 11-09-07, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts
The only way to stream DD+ or DD TrueHD is if the disc is encoded in the basic format. According to posters here like Josh Z, no HD DVD is currently encoded in such a manner. All are encoded in advanced mode and have the audio decoded by the player. Don't worry however, the resulting PCM track is exactly what the the receiver would have given you had it received a bitstream instead.
Old 11-09-07, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Concorde
I just successfully installed 2.5 on my Toshiba A2, hoping it would allow me to decode DD+ on my Onkyo SR605 and A2.. however, it does not.

So, question for A2 owners: Are you able to successfully decode DD+ audio through your DD+ capable receivers? If so, what are your menu settings on the A2?

I currently have an AudioQuest 1.3 HDMI cable from player to receiver, btw.

Thanks in advance--please help!
The HD-A35 does decode it to DD + or True HD, but I don't think any of the earlier models do. It's great watching a HD-DVD on the A35 and actually see it say True HD.
Old 11-09-07, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The only way to stream DD+ or DD TrueHD is if the disc is encoded in the basic format. According to posters here like Josh Z, no HD DVD is currently encoded in such a manner. All are encoded in advanced mode and have the audio decoded by the player. Don't worry however, the resulting PCM track is exactly what the the receiver would have given you had it received a bitstream instead.
Ok, so what you're telling me is that Transformers and Bourne Identity are not actually encoded in DD+, even though the back of the damn DVDs say they are?? ..amazing!

Also, the A2 manual and docs specifically say it can handle DD+ encoding.. and DD TrueHD.

dcprules: That's exactly my goal--to see the DD+ light up red on my receiver display!! This is driving me nuts..

Also, my A2 display also says "MULTI" for some reason.. I thought multichannel was only used for SACDs? Shouldn't it be transmitting to the receiver as "2CH"?
Old 11-10-07, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by Concorde
Ok, so what you're telling me is that Transformers and Bourne Identity are not actually encoded in DD+, even though the back of the damn DVDs say they are?? ..amazing!
That's not what was said. Read it again.

High-Def discs can be encoded in one of two interactive modes: Basic or Advanced. All HD DVDs have been encoded in Advanced mode, while most Blu-rays have been encoded in Basic.

When the format specs were developed, discs authored in Advanced mode were to require DD+, TrueHD, and DTS-HD decoding to be done inside the player. The bitstream would be decoded to PCM and output over HDMI that way.

Recently, the hardware manufacturers have been implementing workaround solutions in some player models that allow the raw DD+, TrueHD, and DTS-HD bitstreams to be sent to a receiver for decoding, even on Advanced discs. However, the High-Res bitstream can contain only the movie soundtrack. Anytime new audio has to be mixed in, such as menu beeps or PiP audio, the whole signal gets downgraded to standard Dolby Digital or DTS.
Old 11-10-07, 01:48 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I updated the OP with the ISO Making instructions.
Old 11-10-07, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Josh Z
That's not what was said. Read it again.

High-Def discs can be encoded in one of two interactive modes: Basic or Advanced. All HD DVDs have been encoded in Advanced mode, while most Blu-rays have been encoded in Basic.

When the format specs were developed, discs authored in Advanced mode were to require DD+, TrueHD, and DTS-HD decoding to be done inside the player. The bitstream would be decoded to PCM and output over HDMI that way.

Recently, the hardware manufacturers have been implementing workaround solutions in some player models that allow the raw DD+, TrueHD, and DTS-HD bitstreams to be sent to a receiver for decoding, even on Advanced discs. However, the High-Res bitstream can contain only the movie soundtrack. Anytime new audio has to be mixed in, such as menu beeps or PiP audio, the whole signal gets downgraded to standard Dolby Digital or DTS.
Blimey, that went completely over ma head, mate. But, I trust your knowledge in this field and do not doubt it for a second!

I am giving this a break until I can understand what I am doing wrong. Thank you for your time.
Old 11-16-07, 11:17 AM

A1/XA1 2.4 Firmware Available

2.4 version is now available via ethernet connection. The .iso hasn't been posted yet, but should be available soon.
Old 11-16-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bretski
2.4 version is now available via ethernet connection. The .iso hasn't been posted yet, but should be available soon.

Awesome. Any word on what it does?
Old 11-16-07, 11:59 AM

Disc playback fixes are all I've heard about so far. Waiting to hear if HDMI-->DVI black crush got fixed, and/or if they fixed playback of ROMs burned with HD material.
Old 11-16-07, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. I thought we were done seeing updates for A1 firmware. I have been sort of considering upgrading, but if this cuts down on skips and freezes I would be happy to keep the A1.
Old 11-16-07, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
So I hear there's a 1.3 firmware update for A3 models. Anyone got the goods on what it's supposed to do? I need a guinea pig.
Old 11-17-07, 07:36 PM
Suspended

3rd Gen firmware 1.3 is available via online connection. I am downloading the ISO right now. Apparently boot time is not faster!
Old 11-17-07, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
3rd Gen firmware 1.3 is available via online connection. I am downloading the ISO right now. Apparently boot time is not faster!
For some reason my A3 REFUSES to connect to the internet even after following all of the DHCP troubleshooting. Therefore, I need to burn the ISO of 1.3 (I burned an ISO from Toshiba's website for the A3, but it only update me to 1.1.

Where do I get the 1.3 update?
Old 11-18-07, 12:00 PM
Suspended

Well, I was downloading the 1.1 update though someone marked it as 1.3. Still looking for an ISO of it.
Old 11-18-07, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Eve6MediaHQ
For some reason my A3 REFUSES to connect to the internet even after following all of the DHCP troubleshooting. Therefore, I need to burn the ISO of 1.3 (I burned an ISO from Toshiba's website for the A3, but it only update me to 1.1.

Where do I get the 1.3 update?
If you use a router, have you tried going to the routers setup utility to make sure it (the player) is allowed access. You should be able to allow access by the MAC address. This is the problem I had. Hope it helps.
Old 11-18-07, 08:42 PM

hey guys i just got a a2 . I cant play any dvd on it and it is really slow. I go to the set up to try to upgrade firmware and it takes a long time to even get the setup menu up. when i do get to the setup it takes a few min to respond to the remote commands. basically i cant do anything on it . also it gives me a error code 2007c010 , any help would be gret thanks
Old 11-18-07, 08:48 PM
Suspended

Finally got my A3 to update via download. Damn thing needs to be restarted for the new settings to take affect

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.