Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Toshiba HD DVD Firmware Update & Discussion Thread Part II

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Toshiba HD DVD Firmware Update & Discussion Thread Part II

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-07, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A2 Firmware Update

I just updated the firmware on my new Wally World bargain and it went very smoothly. I went with the ISO download from Toshiba's website and burned my own update disc. This was so easy, I'd highly recommend this update route for anyone.
Old 11-03-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by jpdude
I just updated the firmware on my new Wally World bargain and it went very smoothly. I went with the ISO download from Toshiba's website and burned my own update disc. This was so easy, I'd highly recommend this update route for anyone.
Did you have any trouble converting the file for burning? I know they said you can't just do a straight download->burn. Anything I should know ahead of time?
Old 11-03-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whenever I try to update my A2, it's saying "Can not find out server." Any ideas?
Old 11-03-07, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KillerCannabis
Did you have any trouble converting the file for burning? I know they said you can't just do a straight download->burn. Anything I should know ahead of time?
The download is a zipped file, so you have to use a utility like WinZip or WinRAR to unzip it. Then you need to burn the file to CD as an image (ISO) file (technically you could burn it to DVD, but people seem to have better luck with CD). People also seem to have better luck when they use a clower burn speed (it's only about a 35 megabyte file, so it's not as if it will take a long time to burn).
Old 11-03-07, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by abrg923
Whenever I try to update my A2, it's saying "Can not find out server." Any ideas?
Go into your player settings and make sure the time/date is set correctly. This fixed the same problem that I had on my A20.

--John
Old 11-03-07, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It was....turns out I needed to reboot the player. Oops!
Old 11-04-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JSwarce
Go into your player settings and make sure the time/date is set correctly. This fixed the same problem that I had on my A20.

--John
Sounds stupid, but that fixed the "Can not find server" issue for me too.
Old 11-04-07, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
For anyone who wants to do the update via CD-R/CD-RW, this worked perfectly for me the first time (this comes from "e_professor" on AVS):

1. Download Active ISO Burner (it's free and has no spyware) (Windows Platform)

2. Follow the Instructions on the Toshiba Support Page (http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...ngfirmware.asp) to extract the ISO file.

3. And then follow the instructions on the Active ISO Burner Page - http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm

I got mine all done in about 30-40 minutes total (this includes downloading and burning the ISO image and installing it in the player).
Old 11-04-07, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No converting necessary.

Download file, unzip with WinZip or WinRAR, etc....this gives you 2 files:

HD-A2-2501N (for Windows)
._HD-A2-2501N (for Mac)

^both files are ISO format, so all you need to do is launch your cd burning software, locate the proper ISO file (ie Win or Mac) to open, then burn.

Easy Sleazy! I, like many, expected the worse...some long drawn-out/complicated ordeal....but was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was.
Old 11-04-07, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I hooked up my new A3 online and firmware 1.1 was available. Went ahead and installed it, but there is definitely no improvement in boot time. It is still the same old 20-30 seconds it was before and about the same boot as the A2. If the A30 got much faster it must have some components missing in the A3.
Old 11-04-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts
I just upgraded from A2 from 1.6* to 2.5. Wish there was a page listing cumulative improvements from version to version -- I'd sure like to know what I just got.

*Might have been 2.2. I forget which number was before the slash when I checked my version prior to downloading the upgrade.
Old 11-04-07, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just upgraded my A3 this morning online. There were 35 (!) to do, but it got it done pretty quickly. About 20 min or so. I wish there was some resource online that tells you exactly what these upgrades are doing for your system.
Old 11-04-07, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I wish there was some resource online that tells you exactly what these upgrades are doing for your system.
http://www.tacp.com/tacpassets-image...d3firmware.asp

Q1. What does this update do?

A1. This firmware update improves network connectivity for supporting the download of web- enabled network content associated with certain HD DVD discs, improves certain video and audio processing capabilities, and also addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related issues identified by Toshiba.
Old 11-04-07, 07:15 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMovieman
For anyone who wants to do the update via CD-R/CD-RW, this worked perfectly for me the first time (this comes from "e_professor" on AVS):

2. Follow the Instructions on the Toshiba Support Page (http://tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-i...ngfirmware.asp) to extract the ISO file.

3. And then follow the instructions on the Active ISO Burner Page - http://www.ntfs.com/iso_burner_free.htm

I got mine all done in about 30-40 minutes total (this includes downloading and burning the ISO image and installing it in the player).
Worked for me. ImgBurn refused to burn the new A3 ISO...not sure why.
Old 11-05-07, 09:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i bought my A3 on 11/1 and I updated the firmware as soon as I hooked it up. Not sure what it updated but it was like 35 files and took about 25 minutes.
Old 11-06-07, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am not updating mine until I see any issues.
Old 11-06-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
You definitely want to update the A2 to 2.5, it takes care of a ton of issues. Let's put it this way, if you were watching Children of Men and it froze, are you going to spend the time to update then go back to the movie and finish it?
Old 11-07-07, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by steebo777
You definitely want to update the A2 to 2.5, it takes care of a ton of issues. Let's put it this way, if you were watching Children of Men and it froze, are you going to spend the time to update then go back to the movie and finish it?
Yes, I would. But, with my previous A2, I did an update and it screwed up. Just want to wait until absolutely necessary.
Old 11-07-07, 10:20 AM
Political Exile

Received 481 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by TheMovieman

Thanks for the steps. Sometimes I need to be spoonfed exactly what to do to get the motivation to do things myself. As you said, it's quick and painless following these steps, and you barely need step 3 since the tool is very obvious to use.
Old 11-07-07, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts
Originally Posted by PerryD
Thanks for the steps. Sometimes I need to be spoonfed exactly what to do to get the motivation to do things myself. As you said, it's quick and painless following these steps, and you barely need step 3 since the tool is very obvious to use.
No problem and I'm the same way... This is my first experience doing this kind of thing (doing firmware updates) and I didn't want to screw anything up. :P
Old 11-07-07, 11:54 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by clappj
Click "setup" on the remote, then select "General" -> "Maintenance" -> "Update."

That'll tell you what version you currently have running.
I have an A3 and it says 1.0/1.1? Does that mean I have 1.1?
Old 11-07-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm on a Mac and when I tried to download it, it failed to mount four separate times. So I called Toshiba and asked for a CD with the update. He took my name/address and said I should have it in 3 or 4 business days -- it was THAT easy! This is exemplary customer service!
Old 11-07-07, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Can anyone tell me whether or not the A2 has tint, color, brightness, and other display-tweaking capability? The reason why I ask is because I cannot adjust some of those setting through my TV, I'd have to go through the input source, which in my case is the soon-to-be-arriving Toshiba A2. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-07-07, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
Can anyone tell me whether or not the A2 has tint, color, brightness, and other display-tweaking capability? The reason why I ask is because I cannot adjust some of those setting through my TV, I'd have to go through the input source, which in my case is the soon-to-be-arriving Toshiba A2. Thanks for the help.
I don't believe the A2 has those functions. You'll need the XA2 for that.
Old 11-07-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
I don't believe the A2 has those functions. You'll need the XA2 for that.
Thanks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.