Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

RUMOR: Warner Bros. and Wal-Mart offered considerable money to go format exclusive..

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

RUMOR: Warner Bros. and Wal-Mart offered considerable money to go format exclusive..

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-07, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I really don't care what Toshiba did 20,30,40,50 years ago. What I do care about is how Sony, in the last 10 years, has treated consumers of their media. I'm talking about all the fun DRM software they put in their "CD" that blew up people's computers, thier overpriced bare-bones discs labeled as "SuperBit" and their current attempt to corner the next generation of media through overpriced players, overpriced media (although HD DVD is pretty expensive too) and exclusive deals that started the whole "exclusivity" race which is going on now.
Old 09-12-07, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by applesandrice
While you're at it, don't leave out their involvement with the Axis during WWII, when they were developing RADAR for the Japanese Army.
Hmm, and I was wondering why my XA2 wouldn't play Flags of our Fathers!

Old 09-12-07, 11:32 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Without knowing other posters ages, I can see where the Toshiba/sub thing might be a generational thing. For someone in their mid-20s or so and was in grade school when it happened it would have made no impact on you at the time. Not that I boycott their products or anything, but that bit of info is always in my head when I'm considering something of theirs.
Old 09-12-07, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Hmm, and I was wondering why my XA2 wouldn't play Flags of our Fathers!

How does it do with Letters from Iwo Jima?

We may have unwittingly uncovered something ultra-sinister, here, Rock. I'm scared . . .

Old 09-12-07, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

We may have unwittingly uncovered something ultra-sinister, here, Rock. I'm scared . . .

I smell a National Treasure 3...
Old 09-12-07, 12:18 PM

It doesnt play Letters at all because I have the BD version.
Old 09-12-07, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chanster
I really don't care what Toshiba did 20,30,40,50 years ago. What I do care about is how Sony, in the last 10 years, has treated consumers of their media. I'm talking about all the fun DRM software they put in their "CD" that blew up people's computers, thier overpriced bare-bones discs labeled as "SuperBit" and their current attempt to corner the next generation of media through overpriced players, overpriced media (although HD DVD is pretty expensive too) and exclusive deals that started the whole "exclusivity" race which is going on now.
Man, this is getting really old with this anti-Sony fanboyism going around the boards. For the last time, the BDA is not just Sony! Panasonic has just as heavy stakes in BR patents as Sony does. Why is it so hard for some people to understand that?
You must really be drinking the red kool-aid if you think Toshiba did not have an exclusive deal with Universal from the get go. Face it, both sides drew the lines with exclusivity deals. The BDA with Disney and Fox, and Toshiba with Universal and Paramount. [end rant]
Old 09-12-07, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Admittedly, I do think that 'conspiring' on another forum to try to deflate the enthusiasm of HD DVD supporters on DVD Talk is more offensive than Josh's combatative but fairly tame language:
I've been a member here for a long time, and have never used the "ignore" function of this forum, even with the likes of joshd2012, hinkle, and a couple others that are still members, but Pro-B just made the list with that "last straw" of a link. In the past, I'd usually argue (to myself) against the ignore function due to the poster I would consider adding possibly someday having something interesting to say that I'd want to read, so I'd "put up" with the crap, but I'm pretty darn sure I'll never care to read a single thing he has to say. Now I feel all dirty .
Old 09-12-07, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

...but you're still speculating since you have no way of knowing if Warner's presence at Blu-ray and lack of presence at HD DVD actually means what you're clearly implying.

It's valid speculation, as is Josh's, but it's speculation just the same.
I am going to respond to your post and not Chanster's.

This is a rumor-thread, one that instigates speculations. I presented a fact to instigate a reaction. Not a speculation to fuel a second speculation. That is the difference between the two posts, in addition of course to the vulgar language. So, the issue is not whether or not I was speculating, in this thread everyone is.

To your second post linking the Blu-Ray forum. I stated that I would borrow the chart, I did, and used it in a manner which was not offensive to anyone. I share similar to your opinion that these new discs won't take off so I don't see how I deflated HDDVD fans' enthusiasm. I wrote what I meant.

Now since you follow the Blu-Ray forum perhaps you should also include this thread which was quite dismissive of Josh and his article with a degree of vulgar language he used on this forum. You could clearly see where I stood before and where I stand now: dismissing both. It gives a slightly different angle to my "zealotry"....I would think!!
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=15474

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 09-12-07 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-12-07, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist
Now since you follow the Blu-Ray forum perhaps you should also include this thread which was quite dismissive of Josh and his article with a degree of vulgar language he used on this forum. You could clearly see where I stood before and where I stand now: dismissing both. It gives a slightly different angle to my "zealotry"....I would think!!
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=15474

Pro-B
That link requires you join the blu-ray forum to view the material! No thank you!
Old 09-12-07, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I will save you the tirade of insults that were unleashed.

post 1:

Josh is a respected member of our review panel at DVDTALK. http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/bio.php?ID=116

Sincerely,
Pro-B

post 2:

Whether you agree or disagree with Josh is one thing. Unleashing a derogatory statement as the one above is a completely different matter!!

If you have an issue with his writing(s) you could always question him at the HD section at DVDTALK. And do so in a polite manner. Anything else just lowers you below any acceptable standards one must respect when attempting to make a point.

Please correct your post!

Pro-B

post 3

I am not quite so sure where are you heading with this post but I would like to make a few things clear (for the record):

1. I am a member of the DVDTALK review panel. I respect what my colleagues have to say. I expect that they do the same in return!

2. Derogatory remarks toward Mr. Zyber I do not and will not tolerate. Regardless of whether or not I disagree with his writings!

3. I do not know Mr. Hunt personally but a simple search on the site can quickly answer your question as to where I stood/stand in the Hunt-debacle.

4. I have chosen the format I wish to support, I am not neutral. This however does not put me in the "biased" camp. "Neutrality" and "bias" are not the same thing!

5. I am not defending Mr.Zyber. I am not in a position to. His words should or shouldn't do it!!

Sincerely,

Dr. A
etc...(more posts)

The thread was eventually closed as a result of the action taken above (You could still access it).

Anyhow, I have no further interest in building a personal conflict here.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 09-12-07 at 02:16 PM.
Old 09-12-07, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
To your second post linking the Blu-Ray forum. I stated that I would borrow the chart, I did, and used it in a manner which was not offensive to anyone. I share similar to your opinion that these new discs won't take off so I don't see how I deflated HDDVD fans' enthusiasm. I wrote what I meant.
I don't see how there's any way to interpret your message on blu-ray.com other than that you wanted to post that graph on DVD Talk to counter any enthusiasm here about the triple layer HD DVD discs. Otherwise, there's really no reason at all to mention the triple layer discs and some of the users' responses about that at DVD Talk. Your posting of the graph in and of itself wasn't offensive, but the idea of posting to another forum that you're going to try to 'convert' users here in that way irks me.

It's perfectly okay that you have such a strong preference towards Blu-ray, but I'd really prefer not to have any "this is why my format of choice is better" arguments, no matter how politely worded they may or may not be. The same goes for HD DVD supporters who feel the need to take a jab at Blu-ray anytime there's any news announced for that format. Hey, we're enthusiasts...let's enthuse! Not argue.

The 'Off Topic Discussion' forum on blu-ray.com is only visible to registered users. Most of the people here won't be able to follow that link.
Old 09-12-07, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I publicly defended Josh in the specific thread precisely for the reason I critiqued him here: the use of vulgar language (and on the other forum the use of personal attacks). Above I gave a selection of quotes to prove it. Since my action led to having the thread closed you will have to register to read it.

Ciao,
Pro-B
Old 09-12-07, 02:24 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
fight... fight... fight...
Old 09-12-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Since my action led to having the thread closed you will have to register to read it.
Not to harp on this point, but you have to register to read the thread because of the forum it's in, not because the thread was closed. Every thread in the Off-Topic Discussion forum is only accessible to registered users. If you were to logout of forum.blu-ray.com and go to the site while you're still logged out, you wouldn't see that forum on the list at all.
Old 09-12-07, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I see.

Regardless. My action and words are on record there should you choose to get the full story in the future.

Pro-B
Old 09-12-07, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh, I absolutely agree, but since this was an instance of his publicly saying that he wanted to take action against certain users of this forum specifically, I thought it would be an exception. Maybe this would've been better handled in a private e-mail or PM, and I'll try to be more conscious of that in the future. There have been enough responses so far that I can't really shove that genie back in the bottle now, though.

Thanks for the other kind words, by the way.

I have to admit to being completely intrigued by the way this thread has shifted gears towards the arming of former enemies of the U.S.
Me too. Who would have thought the format war would bring up a real war to convince people to go the other way.
Old 09-12-07, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
Me too. Who would have thought the format war would bring up a real war to convince people to go the other way.

Oh my gosh -- just wait'll you hear my theories on who's really responsible for the VMD format . . . you'll [EXPLETIVE] your pants from the fear!!

Old 09-12-07, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WARNER STAYING NEUTRAL....."FOR THE TIME BEING"

Sounds like they may pick a side after Christmas. CES 2008 is in January. That would be a good opportunity to announce their future plans.

I still believe they will choose HD DVD, based upon the fact that they chose them originally, they were a founding member of the DVD Forum and they hold alot more patents to HD DVD than BD. But no one can know for sure.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/warner091207.htm

The studio's home video prez discounts reports of a switch to HD DVD only
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (September 12, 2007) -- Warner Home Video president Ron Sanders says the studio will continue to release films on Blu-ray and HD DVD high-def discs.

At least for now.

That's according to an article by TWICE Magazine.

The Los Angeles Times reported this week that Warner has received a "lucrative" offer from HD DVD supporters to back HD DVD exclusively in the format war. Paramount last month stunned the industry by announcing that it would support HD DVD exclusively. (Four major studios back Blu-ray only.)

But Sanders tells TWICE that Warner will "remain committed to both for the time being."

"We're talking to both sides and it’s crazy right now," he said. "We’ll see how the fourth quarter plays out. The consumer is still kind of divided, and we still believe that we should offer the content in both formats. Now, we will watch the marketplace very closely, and see how it plays out, but for now we are supporting both."

Interestingly, Sanders didn't deny the premise of TWICE's question: "Have you received offers from HD DVD or Blu-ray to be exclusive with either format, as Paramount recently did with HD DVD?"

Instead, he avoided a direct answer by saying "we're talking to both sides" and that Warner will "remain committed to both for the time being."

Sanders also told TWICE that Warner will release all four Harry Potter movies on high-def disc in time for the holiday season.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 09-12-07 at 03:42 PM.
Old 09-12-07, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
That pretty much means, IMO, that WB is going to continue pushing both out the door until CES, giving both sides 3-4 months to keep pushing the payout price up back and forth. Not bad thinking.
Old 09-12-07, 03:56 PM

I also think they will go with HD-DVD for all the same reasons Paramount went with them.

WB is still creating HD-DVD encodes and porting them over to BD. Unless HD-DVD really falters this fall or BD really picks up steam, I think they will pick HD.

I think the studios are getting more tired of this war than the consumers.

If WB goes neutral, it will be the biggest blow to a format thus far.
Old 09-12-07, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Lol. It'll come down to:

Who has deeper pockets? SONY or Microsoft?
Old 09-12-07, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
While you're at it, don't leave out their involvement with the Axis during WWII, when they were developing RADAR for the Japanese Army.
Oh nooooesss!!!!

So Toshiba and Sony used to be in bed with each other and were against the US!!!

Those Bastiges!!!!
Old 09-12-07, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Warner had a chance to end the "war" this Christmas
Old 09-12-07, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

SONY
Founded May 7, 1946 (adopted current name in 1958) by Masaru Ibuka and Akio Morita[1]

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.