Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Knocked Up disappointment and combo discs in general....

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Knocked Up disappointment and combo discs in general....

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-07, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
As has been explained numerous times in this forum, that will never happen because it encourages people to buy the HD DVD and then sell the DVD disc on eBay, which would undermine the studio's DVD sales.
Just how would it "undermine" their sales. You buy the Combo with an extra disc for $27.95. If you want to sell the extra disc, so what. The studio still made their $27.95 (or thereabouts). So, I don't see your logic on this one. Doesn't make sense at all.

If you're telling me the person purchasing my single disc, which has no case or inserts, just the damn disc, would have actually gone out and purchased the entire DVD themselves anyway, that's another bunch of bunk.

Considering the cost of what it actually takes to make an SD DVD disc, the movie studios already have the price calculated when I buy a damn Combo disc. We're talkin' about $27.95 versus the typical $15-$19 range of an HD DVD single disc. Considering the price of SD DVDs these days anyway, you can get the new releases for $10 or less, and this is at the retail store level, not direct from the movie studios, so since you're buying a Combo disc, a true Combo package with two discs in it, the profits from the studios would actually be better.

I suppose since I'm buying an HD DVD single disc, that if I sell it, it is also undermining the movie studios in some way? Because you know, since I've already watched the movie I'm selling, the movie studios will cry fowl because now they couldn't sell a disc to someone who hasn't seen it yet at their own pricepoint?

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 09-03-07 at 12:19 PM.
Old 09-03-07, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Just how would it "undermine" their sales. You buy the Combo with an extra disc for $27.95. If you want to sell the extra disc, so what. The studio still made their $27.95 (or thereabouts). So, I don't see your logic on this one. Doesn't make sense at all.

I suppose since I'm buying an HD DVD single disc, that if I sell it, it is also undermining the movie studios?

You are my stupid friend who doesn't have HD. We both want the movie. We split the cost to buy a combo and you take the SD and I keep the HD-DVD. Now you didn't have to pay for the SD version, and the studio has fewer net sales.
Old 09-03-07, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You didn't wait until I was finished typing.

But like I said, you're expecting the same person who would just buy a disc, would have also gone out and bought the actual retail version. I say they wouldn't. They would have probably obtained a pirated copy first.

And here is the solution, my smart HD friend.

Have the studios simply mark the SD DVDs like they do NetFlix DVDs. Simply have the name of the movie on the SD DVD, no color artwork, with the words like, "Combo SD Additional Disc" on it or something.

You see, it is possible.
Old 09-03-07, 12:40 PM
Premium Member

Received 703 Likes on 467 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
As has been explained numerous times in this forum, that will never happen because it encourages people to buy the HD DVD and then sell the DVD disc on eBay, which would undermine the studio's DVD sales.
Explained numerous times are about 10 posts from my searches and all are opinions.

My opinion....

Yeah, I also disagree that the another disk will cause problems.

For the crowd that is being talked about with eBay considerations, why pay for it when they know how to download it at mostly no cost. Not saying I approve, but really, those numbers that would buy a 2nd disk are pretty much irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

After all of this, I still think combos would be okay, if they also had a non-combo at a different price point. In the tiny HD world right now, there are many that don't give a shit and don't want to pay for something they will never use.
Not even going on the combo thing, HD sales are pretty much irrelevant to DVD still. There is no reason to try an read more into it that is not there.

Last edited by The Cow; 09-03-07 at 12:45 PM.
Old 09-03-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
You didn't wait until I was finished typing.

But like I said, you're expecting the same person who would just buy a disc, would have also gone out and bought the actual retail version. I say they wouldn't. They would have probably obtained a pirated copy first.

And here is the solution, my smart HD friend.

Have the studios simply mark the SD DVDs like they do NetFlix DVDs. Simply have the name of the movie on the SD DVD, no color artwork, with the words like, "Combo SD Additional Disc" on it or something.

You see, it is possible.
Old 09-03-07, 12:56 PM
Premium Member

Received 703 Likes on 467 Posts

You see, it is possible.
What special marking are referring to on NettFix stuff? Just curious, there may very well be something, I just haven't noticed anything.
Old 09-03-07, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by The Cow
Not saying I approve, but really, those numbers that would buy a 2nd disk are pretty much irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.
...although like a lot of things in Hollywood, it doesn't matter if it would have a damaging effect...just if the studios are afraid it might.
Old 09-03-07, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

When NetFlix first started, they were including the actual colored print retail DVD.

Now, there is simply a silver silkscreen on the disc which says the name of the movie and something like "Rental - Not for resale". However, this is not for all of their DVDs. Just the more popular ones.
Old 09-03-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
...although like a lot of things in Hollywood, it doesn't matter if it would have a damaging effect...just if the studios are afraid it might.
I won't argue that.
Old 09-03-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
My disappointment comes from the HD disc missing SD extras.

I actually didn't know that until I read this thread. I personally don't mind combos.
Old 09-03-07, 07:31 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Amen to that. But as long as it has the mockumentary with a host of other people playing the lead (there was a clip floating around on Youtube with Michael Cera in the Seth Rogen role getting into a fight with Apatow), I'll be happy.
Old 09-03-07, 08:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KevD
No, you're not I have never understood people being dissapointed at lack of art on a disc, find it very strange
with over 1,000 movies, I put all my discs in binders. so the artwork is sometimes the ONLY way I can easily distinguish one disc from another. double sided discs give me headaches trying to read the tiny font on the inside circle!!

btw- my entire collection fits in a 2' space...so it's worth it. but picture/art work is important to at least me... : )
Old 09-04-07, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Amen to that. But as long as it has the mockumentary with a host of other people playing the lead (there was a clip floating around on Youtube with Michael Cera in the Seth Rogen role getting into a fight with Apatow), I'll be happy.
Prepare to be unhappy, since that's only listed on the 2 disc SD DVD.
Old 09-04-07, 12:30 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Gaaaah!!!
Old 09-04-07, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 137 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Gaaaah!!!
Old 09-04-07, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Kevin M. Dean
Prepare to be unhappy, since that's only listed on the 2 disc SD DVD.

No sale.
Old 09-04-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Combos really aren't that bad except for the higher msrp. I currently have two combos and it's pretty neat that I can take it over to a friend's house and watch it without thinking "Crap he or she hasn't gone hi def yet."
Old 09-04-07, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Add this to the list of things I'm only renting. Fox and Universal seem dedicated to saving me money in the HD realm.
Old 09-17-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

With this review (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...6#post3234646), does that mean all the extras fm the 2-disc dvd have been included in the HD-DVD release?
Old 09-17-07, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Cardiac161
With this review (http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/...6#post3234646), does that mean all the extras fm the 2-disc dvd have been included in the HD-DVD release?
I hope so. This kind of happened with Hot Fuzz except it had a lot more features than the first DVD release (granted that was a single disc)

Guess I'm buying this one if this is true.
Old 09-17-07, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
My sig gives my opinion on HD combos.
Old 09-17-07, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Cardiac161
No, I really don't get that impression from reading the review...
He makes no mention of mention of any of this stuff:
* More Deleted Scenes
* More Extended/Alternate Scenes
* Video Diaries
* Kids on the Loose
* Beard-O-Rama
* Kuni Files
* Gummy: The 6th Roommate
* Stripper Confidential
* Finding Ben Stone
* Kuni Gone Wild
* Loudon Wainwright III Scoring Session
* Line-O-Rama Version 2
* Gag Reels
* Loudon Wainwright III - Live at McCabe's
* First Sex on Camera
* Topless Scene – Restaurant
* Raw Footage
* Katherine Heigl Audition
All of that is unfortunately exclusive to the second disc of the standard def SE....
Old 09-17-07, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If only studios can be more precise in what exactly will be in their HD releases...

Amazon lists the HD-DVD version with having 2 discs:

http://www.amazon.com/Knocked-Up-DVD...0084122&sr=1-4
Old 09-18-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope a better review comes along soon that outlines precisely what is included and what is not, re: 2 disc SD vs ?? disc HD-DVD.
Old 09-18-07, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Liquid Death
I hope a better review comes along soon that outlines precisely what is included and what is not, re: 2 disc SD vs ?? disc HD-DVD.
My copy's due any minute now, so later on i'll list everything that's on the HD-DVD

*edit*

received it about 20 minutes ago, but am a little too pissed at the moment to write down all the features.

first of all, there are maybe 1/3 of the features listed above that are included. (SO not happy about that Kuni Gone Wild not being here...)

Plus i couldn't even make it through chapter one without stuttering galore. Eventually everything seemed straightened out, but the movie kept playing, but my remote was inactive. Had to hold down the power button to get this turned off.

time to invest in gen 3 hardware (i have the A1 - 2.3 firmware)

Last edited by JayDerek; 09-18-07 at 06:14 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.