Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

General HD DVD news and discussion PART 2

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

General HD DVD news and discussion PART 2

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Sorry dude, that's not going to happen. There not going to replace an older unit for a brand new one. Were gonna have a ton of obsolete Blu-ray players shortly and I don't think Sony, Samsung, Pioneer etc. are going to send them all new ones.
Hmmm, I guess we both have different definitions of the word obsolete. You can still WATCH the movie with Profile 1.0 players while 1st gen Toshiba owners would be staring at a blank screen if they put a TL51gb disk in.
Old 09-09-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts
Sorry dude, that's not going to happen. There not going to replace an older unit for a brand new one. Were gonna have a ton of obsolete Blu-ray players shortly and I don't think Sony, Samsung, Pioneer etc. are going to send them all new ones.
Not saying a free new one so much as just give some sort of MIR/Rebate to those than bought a first gen. I personally don't care :P.
Old 09-09-07, 04:39 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by tonymontana313
Hmmm, I guess we both have different definitions of the word obsolete. You can still WATCH the movie with Profile 1.0 players while 1st gen Toshiba owners would be staring at a blank screen if they put a TL51gb disk in.
That is all 100% speculation at this point. TL51 may in fact work just fine with Gen1 players. We do know, however, that nearly all stand alone Blu-ray players will not be able to play certain features/extras etc.

Anyone know how many Gen1 players were sold? They are out of production now and I think the last tally was 15/20k?
Old 09-09-07, 04:40 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by RichC2
Not saying a free new one so much as just give some sort of MIR/Rebate to those than bought a first gen. I personally don't care :P.
I understand, I just don't think its going to happen. Its not like JVC offered me a MIR when a progressive scan DVD player came out, or one that could read MP3s etc.
Old 09-09-07, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toshiba made sure ALL players of ALL generations could play their interactive features and decode DD+ and TrueHD sound. I expect Tohisba made sure ALL players of ALL generations to be able to handle a TL disc as well.
Old 09-09-07, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
If these TL discs don't work on 1st gen players you will probably never see them released. No studio is going to sell a movie on HD DVD unless the disc works in all players.
Old 09-09-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,897 Likes on 1,246 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Toshiba made sure ALL players of ALL generations could play their interactive features and decode DD+ and TrueHD sound. I expect Tohisba made sure ALL players of ALL generations to be able to handle a TL disc as well.
...but to be fair, DD+, TrueHD, and the framework supporting that interactivity existed beforehand. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that first-gen players might support triple layer discs, but I'm not really expecting that to happen, and I'm skeptical that these discs will ever become anything more than a proof-of-concept. Considering that HD DVD has certainly done well enough up to this point with 30 gigs, I think that's okay.
Old 09-10-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

New article on Newsday.com about the format war:

http://www.newsday.com/business/la-f...,2693880.story

Toshiba's expanded partnership, which had already included Universal Pictures, means that many of this summer's biggest movies, including "Transformers" and "Shrek the Third," will be released in video this fall in HD DVD.

The brinkmanship is intensifying. Another major studio, Warner Bros., is being courted by both camps and believed to be mulling over a lucrative offer that could bring such popular titles as "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" into the HD DVD camp, according to Hollywood insiders who requested anonymity because the talks were confidential.
Old 09-10-07, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts
Very interesting. Something I found equally interesting (and disturbing):

What's more, Wal-Mart Stores Inc., the dominant seller of DVDs, has been contemplating whether to boot stand-alone HD DVD players from its shelves in favor of Blu-ray. Wal-Mart executives would not talk about the company's conversations with suppliers, but said it would continue to carry hardware and software in both formats until consumers indicate a clear preference.
I hope Wal-Mart doesn't pull a Target.

Last edited by Maxflier; 09-10-07 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-10-07, 11:21 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Maxflier
Very interesting. Something I found equally interesting (and disturbing):

I hope Wal-Mart doesn't pull a Target.
Its not like the Sony BD-300 sells out, lol.
If they want to sell the units they have to tell people what they are. Both units, sitting next to a $39 DVD Player will not help. I'm sure the BDA is already getting some money together to buy a Wal-Mart end cap, much like what they did at Target.
Old 09-10-07, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would think the choice would be pretty obvious if an HD-DVD player is sitting right next to a Blu-Ray player. I always thought this war would be decided by hardware and not software but that's just me.
Old 09-11-07, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Value Electronics are shipping their A30s to AVS members TODAY. Did anyone here pre-order one? I think the A35 ships in October and the A3 in November.
Old 09-19-07, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That references the article from 3 weeks ago where walmart denied the Venturer player. No new news here.

Put an iLO or Durabrand nametag on it and well, that's a WHOLE other story (the same parent, Alco, makes iLO, Durabrand and Venturer)...

Last edited by Damed; 09-19-07 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-19-07, 08:59 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
It looks like Walmart will not be carrying the $199 HD-DVD Venturer DVD player.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/format-wa...mas-301471.php
3 Week old article from Gizmodo. They sure know how to report it, lol.

Aside from that, Wal-Mart can still re-brand this player as the 'Colobaosafo' HD DVD player and sell it in store. They do not have to carry the 'Venturer' name. I imagine this player will be re-branded, much like the HD-A1 to an RCA name.
Old 09-19-07, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't couldn't get log into videobusiness to check the contents. Just thought it was new. I am deleting it.
Old 10-08-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Bumping this long dormant thread so all the HD-DVD fanboys have a place to post after doing the right thing and exiting the official Blu-ray thread.
Old 10-08-07, 05:13 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gerry P.
Bumping this long dormant thread so all the HD-DVD fanboys have a place to post after doing the right thing and exiting the official Blu-ray thread.
Oh, gee! Thanks Gerry!

Feel free to chime in...since it looks like you havnt posted in the HD forum in at least the past month, if not longer.

Last edited by Gizmo; 10-08-07 at 05:16 PM.
Old 10-08-07, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Oh, gee! Thanks Gerry!

Feel free to chime in...since it looks like you havnt posted in the HD forum in at least the past month, if not longer.
Nope, I work too much... but I do browse this forum on a daily basis.

p.s. I'm glad you assumed I was referring to you with my non-specific remark. At least you seem to be somewhat aware of what you are doing in the Blu-ray thread.

That thread should be a source for information on Blu-ray for people who like and support the format. Instead, it's become a debate on whether or not the Blu-ray is s**t.

Last edited by Gerry P.; 10-08-07 at 05:58 PM.
Old 10-08-07, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 83 Likes on 61 Posts
That thread should be a source for information on Blu-ray for people who like and support the format. Instead, it's become a debate on whether or not the Blu-ray is s**t.
Why can't you support the format, yet both like and dislike its qualities? Besides, it's not called 'Blu-ray praise and worship thread.' As long as the discussion stays civil, what's the problem with voicing your opinion?

Last edited by Vipper II; 10-08-07 at 07:54 PM.
Old 10-08-07, 07:04 PM
Suspended

Nope, I work too much... but I do browse this forum on a daily basis.

p.s. I'm glad you assumed I was referring to you with my non-specific remark. At least you seem to be somewhat aware of what you are doing in the Blu-ray thread.

A lot of us here at DVDTalk have both formats, like myself. If I want to talk about Fox charging $40 for a bare bones catalog release...I will. If others think I'm nuts they can dismiss me right away, but a lot of people, even die hard BR fans, agree. Same with FF and DAT not playing. Sure, I only have a PS3 right now, but it still concerns me as I may own a Samsung 1200 some day. If you don't like what were saying, feel free to chime in. The mods keep a pretty tight ship around here and they are free to delete/edit any post they want. I don't see anyone saying "Blu-ray is shit!" anywhere in the thread.
Old 10-08-07, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

To tell you the truth, I'm more excited to pick up Inside Man in a couple of weeks rather than Transformers. Inside Man in full 1080p is going to be sweet!
Old 10-09-07, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Posts like THIS are so much more annoying ... and much more uncalled for.

If you have any HD DVD news to discuss (whether good or bad), please continue. Let's keep the fanboy remarks out of here. Thank you.

namja
Moderator, DVD Talk Forums
Old 10-10-07, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

More news from highdefdigest concerning stand-alone sales:

Acknowledging recent Blu-ray victories in set-top sales, Toshiba says it reclaimed the stand-alone player sales lead in late September.

As we've previously reported, Sony announced in early September that stand-alone Blu-ray players had begun out-selling their HD DVD counterparts. At the time, Toshiba issued a tersely-worded statement, emphasizing its own year-to-date leadership over Blu-ray in set-top player sales.

Now, according to an article published by Video Business, Toshiba says it's back in the lead, following the September launch of its 3rd-gen players.

Citing new year-to-date NPD figures, the manufacturer said HD DVD players now account for 53% of sales; Blu-ray players, 44%; dual format players, 3%.

But while the manufacturer acknowledged "some weeks" of Blu-ray dominance in set-top players, a quick compare with year-to-date NPD figures released by the manufacturer in early September do indicate a decline in HD DVD dominance. (At the time, Toshiba reported a 55% HD DVD lead vs Blu-ray at 42%.)

We should emphasize that the NPD figures reflect stand-alone player sales only, and do not include sales of the Blu-ray-enabled PS3, the HD DVD add-on for the XBox 360, or computer disc drives for either format.

Link: http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...ck_on_Top/1055
Old 10-11-07, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm glad to hear good news for HD DVD. Furthermore, I've read that Netflix is renting HD DVD over Blu-ray by a two-to-one margin. Add that to the fact that industry sources indicate only approximately 20% of PS3 owners are using their machines for Blu-ray movies and I think we have momentum!

Last edited by Duality; 10-11-07 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-11-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I would imagine the fact that most Blockbuster Video no longer carry HD-DVD's would be a large factor in the Netflix statistic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.