Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

General HD DVD news and discussion PART 2

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

General HD DVD news and discussion PART 2

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-07, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Josh Z
I never once saw a 20gb at retail. All that was sold around here were 60gb. I even asked a few of the stores if they had the 20gb model somewhere I wasn't looking or out back, and they all told me they had never been shipped any.
In a way I'm glad I got the 20 gig model, since it's all-black and I used the extra $100 on a bigger HD (120 gb baby). Wi-fi would have been nice, but I hear that it's sometimes problematic.
Old 07-13-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,884 Likes on 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by DVD Josh
Wi-fi would have been nice, but I hear that it's sometimes problematic.
Yeah. I have my PS3 a few feet from my Wii and my Xbox 360, and they all connect to the same access point. While the Wii and Xbox 360 have a rock-solid signal and have never once dropped out on me, the PS3 can't stay connected for more than a few minutes without petering out. I admittedly haven't read through the documentation, but it doesn't seem as if the PS3 even makes any attempt to reconnect without digging through some menus. It loses the connection and twiddles its thumbs from there.
Old 07-13-07, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
Yeah. I have my PS3 a few feet from my Wii and my Xbox 360, and they all connect to the same access point. While the Wii and Xbox 360 have a rock-solid signal and have never once dropped out on me, the PS3 can't stay connected for more than a few minutes without petering out. I admittedly haven't read through the documentation, but it doesn't seem as if the PS3 even makes any attempt to reconnect without digging through some menus. It loses the connection and twiddles its thumbs from there.
That's the sort of problems I read. Ordinarily, I try and hardwire a network connection, it seems more reliable to me. Plus, apparently media streaming over the wi-fi is for shit.
Old 07-13-07, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
the PS3 can't stay connected for more than a few minutes without petering out. I admittedly haven't read through the documentation, but it doesn't seem as if the PS3 even makes any attempt to reconnect without digging through some menus. It loses the connection and twiddles its thumbs from there.
My brother has the same problem with his. We thought it was possibly defective. But since he doesn't really go online for anything right now, it doesn't bother him. Its strange that when its downloading an update it stays connected fine, but any other time you try to connect it only remains connected for a few minutes.
Old 07-13-07, 01:17 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
From the first post on the HD Player/Software bargain thread, originated and last edited in Oct/Nov '06:

The current link shows the now 5 free movie offer they're running, but it was certainly direct from Toshiba, running at least as far back as October as well.
Your confusing two different offers. I was talking about the 2 free in store at time of the A2 purchase NOT the 3 free by mail. The 2 free was not something done by he HD DVD camp.
Old 08-10-07, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
http://www.us.onkyo.com/news.cfm?id=119

ONKYO Introduces its First HD DVD Player, Including High-Bit-Rate and Lossless Audio Streaming via HDMI 1.3a
08/09/07 - ONKYO USA has announced the launch of its first HD-DVD player, the DV-HD805. This player has been introduced to realize the potential of high-definition HD DVD content. It is also one of the first HD DVD players to take advantage of high-bit-rate audio streaming via HDMI version 1.3a. The DV-HD805 will be available in the fall of 2007.
The DV-HD805 is designed to partner with Onkyo’s 2007 A/V receiver line-up. Both the HD DVD player and the A/V receivers feature HDMI version 1.3a connections, making the combination of these components the perfect platform for high-definition 1080p video images. It also nicely complements Onkyo’s A/V receivers by streaming of the new lossless surround sound formats, Dolby® TrueHD and DTS®-HD Master Audio, as well as two “lossy” formats, Dolby® Digital Plus and DTS®-HD High Resolution Audio.

The Onkyo DV-HD805 has the capability to support different frame rates, including playback at 24 frames per second, which is the native frame rate of the original sources for most HD content. This ensures that the user will be able to experience the playback of films recorded to HD DVD with the smoothest, most stable reproduction possible.

HDMI version 1.3a allows the DV-HD805 to offer the full potential of high-definition 1080p video (the native resolution of HD DVD discs). Furthermore, HDMI version 1.3a enables Deep Color™ technology to improve color tones and achieve finer color gradation. Also, when connected with the new Onkyo HDMI version 1.3a A/V receivers, the DV-HD805 is capable of high-bit-rate audio streaming output. Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio surround sound codecs enable bit-for-bit reproduction of the studio master meaning that this player is capable of the highest clarity and most advanced realism from movie soundtracks. It also has the capability to provide Dolby Digital Plus and DTS-HD High Resolution Audio bit stream data.

HD DVD specifications allow for the inclusion of web-enabled network connectivity to develop new and unique content such as additional materials and bonus features. In addition to downloading content, HD DVD users also have the ability to upload content and interact with providers, to participate in interactive polls for example. Compared to other media formats, HD DVD is advanced in this capacity. The DV-HD805 includes an Ethernet port to allow users access to these capabilities, as well as enable the user to easily download any future firmware updates.

Recognized as the leading video processing technology in the home theater industry, the DV-HD805’s onboard HQV Reon VX video processing chipset provides exceptionally precise video scaling (to 720p, 1080i or 1080p). When used with the standard-definition DVD format, HQV Reon VX enables viewers to enjoy superior video quality at the native resolution of the connected high-definition display. HQV Reon VX processing also eliminates or substantially reduces video noise for improved video reproduction.

The DV-HD805 will be available in the fall of 2007 at a suggested retail price of $899.
Old 08-10-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
The bit about streaming the high-resolution audio formats is misleading. It will only transmit the raw bitstream if the disc is authored in "Basic" mode, which no HD DVDs are.
Old 08-10-07, 05:28 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't know, to me this sounds like it's got the A35 guts, which clearly states it bypasses the player to bitstream the lossless audio.
Old 08-10-07, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I don't know, to me this sounds like it's got the A35 guts, which clearly states it bypasses the player to bitstream the lossless audio.
The A35 announcement is also misleadingly worded. These players will only transmit the raw bitstreams for discs authored in Basic mode, which none are. The HD DVD spec requires discs authored in Advanced mode (all of them) to be decoded inside the player. There's no way around it. Advanced mode allows for menu sounds, PiP audio, and alternate language dialogue to be mixed into the soundtrack before it gets sent to your receiver.

The A35 also claims "support for" Deep Color, which is completely beyond the HD DVD or Blu-ray spec. Even if the player can support these features, you'll never get them from a disc.

I have an article about the myths behind HDMI 1.3 that went up today, clarifying some of these issues:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._Necessary/853
Old 08-10-07, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have an article about the myths behind HDMI 1.3 that went up today, clarifying some of these issues:

Thanks for the article, Josh. I'm currently using the 360 add on for HD DVD and I'm hoping the new players might mean sale/clearance for the XA2, as that is what I have had my eye on. I currently have a receiver w/ no HDMI inputs (Pioneer VSX 1015TX) and have been trying to weigh out the the cost benifits of upgrading to a HDMI reciever or holding out for a good player with 5.1 outputs. It should be noted that I REALLY like the pioneer reciever and I got it for a great price less than 2 years ago.

Mind you, I'm no audiophile, but I feel like I could still benefit from the option of the lossless formats. Granted, this is a little off the direct focus of the article.
Old 08-11-07, 09:22 AM
Banned by request

You've got be kidding. I just wrote an article on the exact same topic for the HD Talk column and it's going up Monday.
Old 08-11-07, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You've got be kidding. I just wrote an article on the exact same topic for the HD Talk column and it's going up Monday.

Great minds, and all that...
Old 08-11-07, 09:47 AM
Banned by request

You said it, brother.
Old 08-11-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
...I have an article about the myths behind HDMI 1.3 that went up today, clarifying some of these issues:

That was helpful reading. Much appreciated!
Old 08-11-07, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great minds, and all that...

MODS!! Make sure these two aren't the same person.
Old 08-11-07, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jiggawhat
MODS!! Make sure these two aren't the same person.
He gave 4 1/2 stars to Purple Rain. We are not the same person.
Old 08-11-07, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts
I finallly dived in and got me an A1. I chose this player for the analogue connectors. WIll be upgrading from a denon 2200. I'll still keep my DVB318. Figure it'll keep me going for a while as an upconverting player.
Old 08-11-07, 07:34 PM
Banned by request

He gave 4 1/2 stars to Purple Rain. We are not the same person.
Actually, after I got my excitement under control, I lowered it to 4 stars.
Old 08-11-07, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, after I got my excitement under control, I lowered it to 4 stars.
OK then, you gave 4 stars to Purple Rain. We are still not the same person.
Old 08-28-07, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anchorman & Old School just got listed at Amazon.. pre-ordered them both!

Star Trek: TOS S1 is up there now too.
Old 08-30-07, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Robert (Value Electronics) now has pre-orders up for the A3, A30, and A35 for AVS members.

PRICES
A3: $249.99 (shipping by 9/30)
A30: $349.99 (shipping by 9/30)
A35: $448.99

He said he has not seen a final production unit, but did say they should play a HD DVD in about 30 seconds or less. They look sleek.
Old 08-31-07, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...t_IFA_2007/920

HD DVD Day at IFA 2007
Fri Aug 31, 2007 at 02:41 PM ET
Tags: IFA (all tags)

It was the HD DVD camp's turn in the spotlight today at IFA (the European consumer electronics trade fair), with several HD DVD supporting companies speaking out at a well-attended press conference.

While yesterday's BDA press conference was heavy on new hardware announcements for the European market, the HD DVD camp took a decidely different approach, focusing less on new products and more on what its backers see as the format's advantages over Blu-ray.

The centerpiece of the presentation was a brief appearance by Chris Saito of Paramount, the company that famously shook up the high-def format earlier this month when it announced it would drop support of Blu-ray, and would instead exclusively back HD DVD.

Saito said that his company's decision came after a year's worth of evaluation, and was based on the format being the best value not only to consumers, but to Paramount as well, in terms of cost of replication.

Other speakers at the comference emphasized the format's "ever growing list of worldwide supporters," its affordability, its lead in stand-alone player sales, and its higher attach rates, (4 discs per player, 7 times that of BD).

"The HD format is about stand-alone players, not game systems. We don’t think gamers will buy movies," said HD DVD Promo Group co-chairman Ken Graffeo.

In a direct dig at the BDA, Graffeo pointed to the HD DVD group's mandatory interactive specs, stating that all HD DVD players are required to support the format's advanced interactive features. "Sadly, that's not the case with Blu-ray," said Graffeo. "Many Blu-ray owners will only get advanced features if they buy the next-generation players".

Other highlights from the session:

90 new HD DVD titles will be released between now and the end of 2007, bringing the European total to 400 by the end of the year.

Toshiba will roll out two new HD DVD players to the European market in October, the 1080p/24 HD-EP30 (349-399 euro) and the higher-end HD-EP35 (449-499 euro).

The HD DVD Promo Group's "Five Discs Free" promotion with sales of new HD DVD players will be extended to Europe.
Old 08-31-07, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Robert (Value Electronics) now has pre-orders up for the A3, A30, and A35 for AVS members.

PRICES
A3: $249.99 (shipping by 9/30)
A30: $349.99 (shipping by 9/30)
A35: $448.99

He said he has not seen a final production unit, but did say they should play a HD DVD in about 30 seconds or less. They look sleek.
Great price, great seller, but I learned by lesson from the A2. If past history is any indication, there will be a massive price drop 6 weeks after release.
Old 08-31-07, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
90 new HD DVD titles will be released between now and the end of 2007, bringing the European total to 400 by the end of the year.

Uh..does this mean 90 new titles in Europe or here?
Old 09-01-07, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Europe.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.