Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

anyone else tired of all this HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray stuff?

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Old 02-07-07, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I swear if I hear one more report that "Blu-Ray wins the war" or "HD-DVD waves the white flag" I'm going to consider throwing both my XA1 and my PS3 in the trash at the same time and go back to DVD.

I mean damn, can't everyone just buy the discs and enjoy them for what they are - entertainment? why must everyone try to push one to death and try to ruin the other at the same time? these are just little shiny movie discs and not the second coming for crying out loud.

I'm sure this thread will get locked because someone will most likely come in here to post something in the line of "the only reason I'm getting tired of the reports is because my side is losing" or something like that which in turn will start another vs. thread. so let me say it right now - I'm not on any side. I'm on both and soon I may be on neither.

sorry for the rant but I think I finally reached my breaking point. its basically all I read these days it seems.

feel free to reply but please not with any of those "because one is better" or whatever posts. lets try to keep this thread open for anyone who is just tired of the "war".

thank you.
Old 02-07-07, 08:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why can't it be like SACD vs DVD-Audio. No fighting!
Old 02-07-07, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 908 Likes on 587 Posts
Originally Posted by ChrisHicks
I mean damn, can't everyone just buy the discs and enjoy them for what they are - entertainment? why must everyone try to push one to death and try to ruin the other at the same time? these are just little shiny movie discs and not the second coming for crying out loud.
This is the tone I've been trying to set for the forum. (The "buy the discs and enjoy them for what they are", I mean, not the zealotry. )
Old 02-07-07, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't care which one wins, I just want resolution!
Old 02-07-07, 08:26 PM
Banned

No I don't want resolution, I want both to survive forever!
Old 02-07-07, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Arpeggi
Why can't it be like SACD vs DVD-Audio. No fighting!
It seems to be swiftly heading that direction which does not bode well for either format.
I personally don't care if Blu-ray wins, but in the meantime I am sticking with HD DVD. I don't see any way around eventually owning both though.

swear if I hear one more report that "Blu-Ray wins the war" or "HD-DVD waves the white flag" I'm going to consider throwing both my XA1 and my PS3 in the trash at the same time and go back to DVD.
Believe me I have seriously considered this option. However, I'm probably going to compromise and get the majority of my films on DVD and a few of the really good transfers and must have films in HD DVD. I'm not wasting any more HD DVD money on marginal quality films and mediocre transfers.

Last edited by darkside; 02-07-07 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-07-07, 09:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
*foaming at the mouth* HD DVVVVVVVD!!!!! *throws a spear into Blu-ray's heart*
Old 02-07-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've slowed down my HD DVD buying and increased DVD buying. It's hard to pass up on dvd's when Best Buy puts alot of good titles on sale for $5-$7 every so often. BD seems to be more focused on releasing content as of now, but I'm not willing to give up on HD DVD. Warners will be announcing their plans for Spring and I'm sure Universal will be giving us dates eventually.

What boggles my mind is all of the retards at AVS who act like they invented BD and how it must succeed or all is lost. I think that's why I don't visit there much anymore. That and the fact that it's turned into a 90% bullshit, 10% fact site.

I had BD once before and enjoyed it. I will likely get the new Samsung player because I'm impressed with what we will be getting from BD later this year. And that HQV processor sounds promising.
Old 02-07-07, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't really get caught up in it all. I own HD-DVD because that's what I could afford and what made most sense to me (360 add-on).

There are titles on Blu-Ray that I would like, but I'm not going to go apeshit because someone said its better than HD-DVD. Truth be told, I've never seen Blu-Ray - I'e only seen HD-DVD and I absolutely love it.
Old 02-07-07, 09:44 PM

Im right there with you Chris...ive come to terms with the fact that both will be around a while. I have the A2 and the PS3 so I can enjoy both.

Im sick of this format war, but I think both formats keep in other in check. Competition is good. I think is why we have seen lower prices on movies.
Old 02-07-07, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
So ... what's after 1920x1080? I'm waiting for what's next already.
Old 02-07-07, 11:18 PM
Banned by request

Supposedly the Japanese are working on ultra high definition.
Old 02-08-07, 12:24 AM
JIF

What's the answer to the HD war?

Total HD

This is a flipper disc that is both HD DVD and Blu-Ray on either side. Warners has signed up to produce Total HD discs, which makes sense. Why commit to just one format and reach half of the HD community when you could invest in a format that increases your target audience?

Total HD is a cheaper alternative that will no doubt kill duel-format HD players as well.
Old 02-08-07, 01:04 AM
Banned by request

I think you're the first person on this forum to speak favorably of Total HD. Just about everyone else here hates it like it had some kind of ties to Nazism.
Old 02-08-07, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
*foaming at the mouth* HD DVVVVVVVD!!!!! *throws a spear into Blu-ray's heart*
Old 02-08-07, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I was all about HD DVD but there were too many movies on BD that I wanted, and too many BD titles coming out, so I grabbed a PS3. Now I could care less who wins, and I'm actually hoping both stick around. As long as the movies keep coming, I don't care.
Old 02-08-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JIF
Total HD

This is a flipper disc that is both HD DVD and Blu-Ray on either side. Warners has signed up to produce Total HD discs, which makes sense. Why commit to just one format and reach half of the HD community when you could invest in a format that increases your target audience?

Total HD is a cheaper alternative that will no doubt kill duel-format HD players as well.
I'd rather have two players and cheaper discs. It will depend on what these end up costing at retail.
Old 02-08-07, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

For HD on disc to be the replacement for dvd, one of the formats has to die. I don't care which one dies either. The general public wants everything simple. 2 formats isn't simple for them. 2 specific players isn't simple for them. Retailers do not want to have to create more space for 2 formats.
Old 02-08-07, 10:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
For HD on disc to be the replacement for dvd, one of the formats has to die. I don't care which one dies either. The general public wants everything simple. 2 formats isn't simple for them. 2 specific players isn't simple for them. Retailers do not want to have to create more space for 2 formats.

until this happens, NEITHER of these will ever be accepted by the GP.
Old 02-08-07, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I have an HD-DVD player, but I don't buy much. I have kicked around getting a PS3 as they seem to be readily available now, just for BR discs. No matter which I do, I believe I will probably use Netflix for 95% of my viewing, though.
Old 02-08-07, 10:28 AM

The "war" was over when prices were announced.
BD and HDDVD movies continue to cost more than what most people (read: average Joe, whom by the way hardly has a six-pack) is comfortable paying. Add to this the fact that catalog DVD titles continue to drop in price, most of which could be had for less than $10. Add another factor called Total HD...we don't know how much this will cost but I've got a gut feeling you could expect to pay yet a little more for these.

Most stand alone DVD players have great internal scalers. I paid half the price for a Denon DVD player vs. my Toshiba HDA2 and the Denon produces better picture quality when upscaling SDDVD movies. The point is, DVD quality is still very much acceptable to most I'm sure.

DVDs aren't going anywhere with the way prices are looking on all fronts (DVDs getting cheaper; HD getting more expensive). This formula makes for a niche market for BD/HDDVD with DVD still the mainstream and the ultimate winner.
Old 02-08-07, 10:30 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Centurion
Most stand alone DVD players have great internal scalers.
Paging Spiky....
Old 02-08-07, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to agree some with the pricing. We have gotten used to catalog titles being $5-$10 dollars so going out to get that same title in HD for $20 or more if its a combo or Blu-ray is a real turn off. I've been buying quite a few titles recently on DVD with the Best Buy sales and have no interest in replacing a title like American Psycho I bought for $5 with a $30 Blu-ray version.
Old 02-08-07, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts
Originally Posted by Centurion
The "war" was over when prices were announced.
BD and HDDVD movies continue to cost more than what most people (read: average Joe, whom by the way hardly has a six-pack) is comfortable paying. Add to this the fact that catalog DVD titles continue to drop in price, most of which could be had for less than $10. Add another factor called Total HD...we don't know how much this will cost but I've got a gut feeling you could expect to pay yet a little more for these.

Most stand alone DVD players have great internal scalers. I paid half the price for a Denon DVD player vs. my Toshiba HDA2 and the Denon produces better picture quality when upscaling SDDVD movies. The point is, DVD quality is still very much acceptable to most I'm sure.

DVDs aren't going anywhere with the way prices are looking on all fronts (DVDs getting cheaper; HD getting more expensive). This formula makes for a niche market for BD/HDDVD with DVD still the mainstream and the ultimate winner.
You've hit on some important points...Both HD-DVD and Blu-ray are more like the laserdisc fad of the late 80s/early 90s than the next "mainstream" home entertainment format. It's just not enough of a "leap" in technology to pose any threat to standard DVD right now. Not to say I don't love it, but I can see why "Joe" ain't that interested.
Old 02-08-07, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 148 Likes on 102 Posts
I'm just tired of all the bullshit and gimmicks from both sides.

I'm seriously looking into some of these HTPC or "Media Center" PCs that HD enthusiasts are using.

Basically, having total access to your HD library on a server with several terabytes of data.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.