Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

anyone else tired of all this HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray stuff?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

anyone else tired of all this HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
I'm becoming less and less concerned as time goes on.

This whole war seems pretty silly considering the winner (if there is one) will have a niche market to themselves. After all the money being thrown into their respective formats, it really seems like a waste when the gain in revenue will be much smaller than they originally thought. This is of course my opinion, but I really don't see the HD market being anything larger than a niche.

The funny thing is Sony's Blu-Ray gamble (win or lose) is already costing them a nice chunk of the console marketshare. Even if Blu-Ray wins, I think Sony will wind up being the big loser of this whole war.
Old 02-11-07, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
War is over! - Bluray wins!!

Just an fyi....the war is over....

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...ar_is_Over/468

Old 02-11-07, 11:42 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Yay! They sold more BR discs then HD for a whole month, they WIN!!!!!
Who cares that HD outsold them 6:1 the prior 8 months!!!!!
Who cares that HD players are much cheaper!!!!!
Sony FTW!
Old 02-11-07, 11:49 AM
exm
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Coral

This whole war seems pretty silly considering the winner (if there is one) will have a niche market to themselves. After all the money being thrown into their respective formats, it really seems like a waste when the gain in revenue will be much smaller than they originally thought. This is of course my opinion, but I really don't see the HD market being anything larger than a niche.

The funny thing is Sony's Blu-Ray gamble (win or lose) is already costing them a nice chunk of the console marketshare. Even if Blu-Ray wins, I think Sony will wind up being the big loser of this whole war.
Right. I used to be more of a hard-core HD DVD fanboy (mostly because of anti-Sony feelings), but these days it doesn't matter. Worse case: HD DVD loses and I'm stuck with a $360 HD DVD/upconverting SD DVD player with 20 or so titles. As long as there will be one uniform format in the future (heck, it can even be a combo), I'm happy. And if BR is really leading by the end of '07 with releases, I will purchase a player. Perhaps even a PS3 (hardcore XBOX 360 owner ).

The interesting issue here is that Mr Monopoly Microsoft backs HD DVD, while Mr. 'I always push my own format' backs BR. Evil vs Evil
Old 02-12-07, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Originally Posted by exm
Right. I used to be more of a hard-core HD DVD fanboy (mostly because of anti-Sony feelings), but these days it doesn't matter. Worse case: HD DVD loses and I'm stuck with a $360 HD DVD/upconverting SD DVD player with 20 or so titles. As long as there will be one uniform format in the future (heck, it can even be a combo), I'm happy. And if BR is really leading by the end of '07 with releases, I will purchase a player. Perhaps even a PS3 (hardcore XBOX 360 owner ).

The interesting issue here is that Mr Monopoly Microsoft backs HD DVD, while Mr. 'I always push my own format' backs BR. Evil vs Evil
My thoughts exactly!

Although I am a little disappointed in the recent/next few months releases of HD DVD's, while Blu Ray is cranking out titles. Like EXM said if HD DVD loses I haven't invested that much money besides I have plenty of titles and its worth it. I will eventually get a Blu Ray player when they come down in price, then who cares. Though I am bummed I am going to miss the Blu Ray release of Man On Fire, one of my favorite movies ever.

I have had ZERO problems with my HD A1, it upconverts SD DVDs to near HD quality, have True HD sound (using 5.1a) using my Logitech 880 Remote to control it.
My HDA1 was garbage, I had non stop issues with that POS and returned it to Amazon and got the HDA2, couldn't be happier
Old 02-12-07, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Coral

While I dont think the market for these improved discs will ever be as niche as say laserdiscs, I agree that they will not reach the levels of SD dvd, the jump in quality from VHS to DVD was so huge that customers had to make the switch, and it had been many many years since the advent of VHS... not many consumers (after replacing and buying up all these dvds) will want to up and replace them a few years after purchasing

I have a HD DVD, would like a BR player, but at the same time, having 2 HD DVR's will cut down on the amount of these discs I will ever buy
Old 02-13-07, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm tired of it too. All the cheerleaders, armchair executives, and fanboys who will defend and spin everything a format does to his format's benefit is enough to make me nauseous. It's fine here, but on AVS it's a mess. Even things like Fox's pricing and their delays of upcoming titles are being spun as good things by a particular poster over there. You can't make a legitimate criticism of anything regarding a format without fanboys of that format swooping in to defend it or bringing up an entirely unrelated problem with the other format.

The thing that gets me is that I think it may be even worse than videogame console fanboyism. I don't remember seeing threads dedicated to an upcoming 360 title where posters make remarks to the effect of "haha, PS3 won't get this!" There's some serious tribalism over there, where guys have to praise their format and piss on the other to endear themselves to like-minded people.
Old 02-13-07, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All of this praise for the A2 has me thinking of dumping my A1, which is a tad quirky at times.
Old 02-13-07, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl
I'm tired of it too. All the cheerleaders, armchair executives, and fanboys who will defend and spin everything a format does to his format's benefit is enough to make me nauseous. It's fine here, but on AVS it's a mess. Even things like Fox's pricing and their delays of upcoming titles are being spun as good things by a particular poster over there. You can't make a legitimate criticism of anything regarding a format without fanboys of that format swooping in to defend it or bringing up an entirely unrelated problem with the other format.

The thing that gets me is that I think it may be even worse than videogame console fanboyism. I don't remember seeing threads dedicated to an upcoming 360 title where posters make remarks to the effect of "haha, PS3 won't get this!" There's some serious tribalism over there, where guys have to praise their format and piss on the other to endear themselves to like-minded people.
I fucking HATE AVS and most of the assholes who post all the spin/garbage there.
Old 02-13-07, 12:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I fucking HATE AVS and most of the assholes who post all the spin/garbage there.
Yes. Someone is now arguing with me that The Departed is selling so well on HD DVD because people are clamouring for ANYTHING on HD DVD. The BD sales are "lower" because they have so many titles to choose from.

Morans.
Old 02-13-07, 01:29 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That's classic.
Old 02-13-07, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just don't get why many are so emotional about the whole thing. Really, why would you defend BD or HD DVD as if someone just insulted your mother? If you want a movie, buy it. If you don't, then don't buy it. But this whole "my disc is better than your disc" nonsense is fucking retarded. I think I've visited AVS once in the last month.
Old 02-13-07, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now to throw out another question about the formats. Has anyone really wondered why Warners actually puts out combo discs on HD DVD? I can understand Universal doing so because they are the sole supporter of the format. They want to get more HD DVD owners because, so far, they have chosen only that format. Paramount is a dual supporter and hasn't released a single combo disc, and doesn't seem like they are planning to any time soon. They are trying to please both sides.

Now here's Warner, a dual supporter, who is trying to please both sides...but with a combo disc, aren't they trying to recruit more HD DVD owners? Does that show any favoritism towards HD DVD?

I mean, if you are supporting both formats equally, why do something extra to get more ownership on 1 side but not the other?

Just wanted to mention that and see if anyone else is thinking the same as I.
Old 02-13-07, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Yes. Someone is now arguing with me that The Departed is selling so well on HD DVD because people are clamouring for ANYTHING on HD DVD. The BD sales are "lower" because they have so many titles to choose from.

Morans.

How do we know which is selling more?
Old 02-13-07, 05:19 PM

Now here's Warner, a dual supporter, who is trying to please both sides...but with a combo disc, aren't they trying to recruit more HD DVD owners? Does that show any favoritism towards HD DVD?

I mean, if you are supporting both formats equally, why do something extra to get more ownership on 1 side but not the other?

Just wanted to mention that and see if anyone else is thinking the same as I.
I think that Warner is just trying to use each format to it's fullest. If they were able to make combo discs with Blu-ray releases, I think they'd probably be doing that as well. They're just trying to reach out to those who don't have a high definition player but plan on getting one in the future. I'm waiting until there's more of a clear cut winner to jump in, so I don't have a HD-DVD or a Blu-ray player, but I have several HD-DVD combo discs with the reasoning being that I can watch them now, and if HD-DVD wins out I'll already have them in high definition. If Blu-ray wins, then I'll still be able to watch the standard dvd. I'd buy combo Blu-ray releases too if they were available, but they're not.

So if the technology is there for one and not the other, why shouldn't Warner use it in order to increase profits? Now, if combo discs were possible for both formats, and Warner only released them on HD-DVD, then I'd say they're showing a bias. But since they can't do it with Blu-ray, I don't see them as trying to push for HD-DVD.
Old 02-13-07, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Morans.
I just came from Best Buy. They ordered a grand total of 3 copies of The Departed for every store and 15 copies of the Blu-ray version. The HD DVD is completely sold out in every store in town already and the Blu-ray version is plentiful. However, when the sales come down it will look like Blu-ray dominated even though potential HD DVD buyers like myself were turned away because they didn't order enough copies to meet the demand.
Old 02-13-07, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Best Buy numbers aren't the best measurement anyway because they had the HD-DVD priced seven dollars less than the Blu-ray version, which isn't the case at almost any other retailer.

When I went on my lunch break, it looked like they had sold the same amount for both formats, but they also didn't get as many in on HD-DVD.

Regarding being tired of all the versus nonsense...it does get very aggravating to come to a forum looking for information and actual reviews of product and to find bickering and snide comments instead.

What information that is given is almost negated by the rest of threads being taken up by rumormongerers and those supposedly "in the know" that turn out not to know anything.
Old 02-14-07, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just don't get why many are so emotional about the whole thing. Really, why would you defend BD or HD DVD as if someone just insulted your mother? If you want a movie, buy it. If you don't, then don't buy it. But this whole "my disc is better than your disc" nonsense is fucking retarded. I think I've visited AVS once in the last month.

Way the Fuck
Old 02-14-07, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think I've visited AVS once in the last month.
Yeah, I went there yesterday for the first time in a while. Im so sick of the rancor there and also the shoddy amatuer reviews of discs. They say they look/sound like sh|t and blame the discs when in the end, it turns out to be their crappy systems.

Like the idiot who said King Kong looked bad and had a whole thread dedicated to it. This forum is very classy compared to that area of avs.

Yesterday, I think I saw 8-10 threads just on the Departed disc!! The moderators really need to get control over there. Im not paying for a subscription there anymore.

BTW- Im right there with you about the unnecessary emotion over this "war"....lets save that attitude for politics, religion and sport teams.

Last edited by RockStrongo; 02-14-07 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-14-07, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Someone is now arguing with me that The Departed is selling so well on HD DVD because people are clamouring for ANYTHING on HD DVD. The BD sales are "lower" because they have so many titles to choose from.

Morans.
I can definitely see in principle how this can happen.

Example:
Releases available on HD-DVD:
The Departed
From Justin to Kelly
Leonard Part 6

Releases available on Blu-Ray:
The Departed
Lord of the Rings
Star Wars
The Shawshank Redemption
Blade Runner
Finding Nemo
The Prestige
Old 02-14-07, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Reminds of the high school days where fights would break out because someone disprected Tu Pac, Biggy or Snoop.

Old 02-14-07, 10:29 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by bwvanh114
I can definitely see in principle how this can happen.

Example:
Releases available on HD-DVD:
The Departed
From Justin to Kelly
Leonard Part 6

Releases available on Blu-Ray:
The Departed
Lord of the Rings
Star Wars
The Shawshank Redemption
Blade Runner
Finding Nemo
The Prestige
?! Where on earth are you getting those titles? Out of all of those movies, the only films that would actually be exclusive to BD are Star Wars and Finding Nemo.
Old 02-14-07, 10:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
?! Where on earth are you getting those titles? Out of all of those movies, the only films that would actually be exclusive to BD are Star Wars and Finding Nemo.
It was a joke.
Old 02-14-07, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

AVS is a wasteland, as far as I'm concerned. I initially went over there when HD DVD first came out because they seemed to have news and insiders and all that, but now, it's a bunch of illiterates fighting about format superiority. And then there are a few people who claim to have insider information (and who "just got off the phone with their Universal contact" to confirm that Nutty Professor and Eternal Sunshine were coming out about a week after they were officially announced) who are also useless and misleading.

Then on the other hand, the Home Theater Forum seems to have people who don't quite grasp the technology yet or who make blanket statements without understanding the facts.

But to get back on topic, yes, I'm very tired of seeing endless threads about people arguing over formats.
Old 02-14-07, 10:49 AM
Banned by request

It was a joke.
I should have known that. *slaps forehead*

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.