Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

anyone else tired of all this HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray stuff?

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

anyone else tired of all this HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray stuff?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-07, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by audiomixer
And WHY would you buy this movie in either format?
Because "I" liked it. "I" buy movies that "I" like. "I" don't give a shit what anyone else thinks of "my" choices.

What does your comment have to do with this thread anyways?
Old 03-08-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by audiomixer
And WHY would you buy this movie in either format?
I bought it too. I thought it was funny and enjoyed it.

Everyone has different tastes, lets dont criticize for that.
Old 03-08-07, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
Because "I" liked it. "I" buy movies that "I" like. "I" don't give a shit what anyone else thinks of "my" choices.
Absolutely. There are many titles I will buy when they hit $5-$10. Not every title has to be Citizen Kane to be enjoyable. I thought Nacho Libre okay and even went and paid movie theater prices to watch it.
Old 03-08-07, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema

What does your comment have to do with this thread anyways?

"Nacho Libre" was hilarious. My wife and I both love it and quote from it pretty often. It's one title, though, where owning the HD-DVD (which I do) really doesn't offer a big improvement over the standard def version: especially when there's such a huge difference in price!
Old 03-09-07, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, Nacho Libre was pretty funny ("You get to sleep in thh same bed alone for the rest if your life. FANTASTIC!"), though this and Lady In The Water look almost like DVD's to me.
Old 03-09-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by matome
Yeah, Nacho Libre was pretty funny ("You get to sleep in thh same bed alone for the rest if your life. FANTASTIC!"), though this and Lady In The Water look almost like DVD's to me.

Right on.

Matome, I think I'm safe in saying you're a pretty staunch BD format supporter, and I'm about as pro-HD-DVD format as a guy can be. But the format should really only be a vehicle for the movies, and it's the movies themselves that matter. I think when we let the discussion devolve into a bunch of finger-pointing and petty accusations, we're really doing a disservice to the movies -- to say nothing of the damage we do to each other.

Who needs the bickering?
Old 03-09-07, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by matome
I thought Nacho Libre was one of the best-looking titles I have.
Old 03-09-07, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I thought Nacho Libre was one of the best-looking titles I have.
I watched it on both upconverted DVD and HD-DVD. I rented it first on dvd and watched it on my A1. It looked good.

I liked it, so I bought the HD-DVD back when buy.com was doing the google sale. The HD-DVD was a definate improvement of the sd dvd. The higher level of detail was definately more apparent.
Old 03-09-07, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
I watched it on both upconverted DVD and HD-DVD. I rented it first on dvd and watched it on my A1. It looked good.

I liked it, so I bought the HD-DVD back when buy.com was doing the google sale. The HD-DVD was a definate improvement of the sd dvd. The higher level of detail was definately more apparent.

It definitely looked good, and was a reasonable step up from standard definition. I'm also a big believer that when Jack Black shoots refried beans out his nose, it should almost certainly be presented with the highest possible resolution. At the same time, though, I can understand and sympathize with someone who'd rather pay $7 than $25+ for a movie of this variety.