Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommend Me A Receiver With HDMI For My HD Setup, Pretty Please!!

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Recommend Me A Receiver With HDMI For My HD Setup, Pretty Please!!

Old 12-29-06, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bdhart
If you put the microphone by your speakers, you definately did it wrong

You are supposed to put the microphone where you sit. You start out in the middle of your viewing area and then move it to the outsides of your viewing area.

SHIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew something wasn't right damn it!!!!!

Well at least I figured out how to manually set the settings so I am good. Well I guess live and learn
Old 01-31-07, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey everyone. I need some major help with picking up a new receiver. I have a fairly good receiver now, but am seriously considering upgrading to a new HDMI receiver. I have both a Blu Ray player (PS3) and the 360 HD DVD add on and would love to get into these new audio formats. Plus, I've had my 5.1 setup for a while so I'd like to upgrade to a 7.1 setup.

So, my main question is what is a good receiver that is HDMI compatiable that will work okay with the PS3 and the HD DVD 360 add on. My main television I watch movies on doesn't have an HDMI output, so I'm mostly interested in the receiver strictly for the HD audio but I'm sure within a year or so I'll be upgrading my large HDTV to one with HDMI capabilities.

I went to Best Buy earlier today (since I have some gift cards and a 12% off coupon), but they weren't exactly helpful knowing next to nothing on PCM and lossless audio tracks. I've mostly been thinking of getting a receiver at Best Buy because I have a few gift cards and the coupon to save me a bit of money, but I'm open to looking at other places if they have any decent deals. Thank you all so much in advance!!!
Old 01-31-07, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

^

Read through this entire thread. Its only a couple pages, but has some good info.
Old 01-31-07, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I tried out the Denon 887 at work. Nice enough receiver and it accepts multi channel PCM via HDMI. It's not too pricey so some might want to give it a listen.
Old 01-31-07, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I tried out the Denon 887 at work. Nice enough receiver and it accepts multi channel PCM via HDMI. It's not too pricey so some might want to give it a listen.
That's the receiver I just bought and I think it's great. I would highly recommend it to anybody in that price range, easy to setup and use.
Old 02-01-07, 12:30 PM
Banned

ok so which is better?

Denon AVR2307CI
http://www.secondact.biz/product/AVR2307CIRB

or

Onkyo TXSR674
http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/item/ONKTXSR674

and before you respond, i know the former is out of stock.
Old 02-01-07, 02:58 PM
Cool New Member

I too am in the market for a new reciever. I want one that will accept full 7.1 LPCM via HDMI. I also want one that will matrix 5.1 to 7.1 as well. The Onkyo's are not capable of this. Is there one not too much more expensive than the 604/674 that will accomplish my two requirements?
Thnx!
T
Old 02-01-07, 03:01 PM
Banned

Why do you want one that matrix? Is that the requirement you're looking for?
Old 02-01-07, 03:30 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Why do you want one that matrix? Is that the requirement you're looking for?
I want my rear speakers to have something coming out of them, anything, when the source material is only 5.1. The back right would matrix the surround right and the back left would matrix the surround left. Make sense?
Old 02-01-07, 03:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tjubb
I want my rear speakers to have something coming out of them, anything, when the source material is only 5.1. The back right would matrix the surround right and the back left would matrix the surround left. Make sense?
Yes...but as someone who has 6.1, I noticed that surround works A LOT better in 5.1 than something matrixed. A lot of times, the sound will collapse to the one channel on my Onkyo. I noticed that the sound was much fuller when I wasn't forcing that 6th speaker. YMMV but I tried it after reading some stuff on AVS and everyone seemed to agree: don't force it. If it's a 6.1 encoding, fine. Otherwise, don't.
Old 02-01-07, 03:46 PM
Cool New Member

Yes...but as someone who has 6.1, I noticed that surround works A LOT better in 5.1 than something matrixed. A lot of times, the sound will collapse to the one channel on my Onkyo. I noticed that the sound was much fuller when I wasn't forcing that 6th speaker. YMMV but I tried it after reading some stuff on AVS and everyone seemed to agree: don't force it. If it's a 6.1 encoding, fine. Otherwise, don't.
That is quite helpful. I hadn't heard that scenario about forcing an additional channel and I have been reading quite a bit lately about audio over at AVS. Do you recall what threads these conversations were in?
Old 02-01-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Exactly right.
Old 02-01-07, 03:50 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by tjubb
That is quite helpful. I hadn't heard that scenario about forcing an additional channel and I have been reading quite a bit lately about audio over at AVS. Do you recall what threads these conversations were in?
No idea. That was a couple of years ago, probably.
In fact, I don't even use 6.1 any more. I prefer 5.1 much more.

Sometimes more isn't better.
Old 02-24-07, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finally bought a new HDMI receiver. I ended up going the cheapest route possible and bought the Onkyo 604. Spent under $400 including cables from monoprice. The nice thing is I get to keep the awesome learning remote from my 7 year old Onkyo 676. I swear the remotes they give with receivers now are embarrassing. The Denon ones are practically worthless.

I have everything all hooked up, but it will take me awhile to read through the old threads to find the proper settings for the HDMI audio output. The only bummer is the fact I still need my 6 channel analog hookup on my Denon for SACDs, but at least I'm back in business with TrueHD on my Toshiba A2.
Old 02-24-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought the 604 about 6 weeks ago, so far its been a fantastic reciever.
Old 02-24-07, 03:35 PM
Banned

I have the 674 and love it.
Old 02-24-07, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
You owe me a store name and a price.
Old 02-24-07, 04:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
You owe me a store name and a price.
$499 shipped. Double boxed.
Email me. I'll give you everything.
Old 02-24-07, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I nearly went with this one, but my living room setup is small so I didn't think I would need the extra power and all it would have saved me setup wise is one extra component out to the TV. I saved about $180 going with the 604, but believe me I was seconds away from pulling the trigger on the 674.

Tested out a few discs and it looks like I set it up correctly. I left the A2 on auto for the HDMI audio. That is correct right?

My only confusion at this point is Dolby Prologic II. The Wii and PS2 support it, but I honestly have no idea if I just output the sound direct to the receiver or if I have to turn it on using the DSP settings on the receiver. Yes, I'm that dumb.

Last edited by darkside; 02-24-07 at 05:01 PM.
Old 02-24-07, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by darkside
My only confusion at this point is Dolby Prologic II. The Wii and PS2 support it, but I honestly have no idea if I just output the sound direct to the receiver or if I have to turn it on using the DSP settings on the receiver. Yes, I'm that dumb.
Dont feel bad... I have the 604 as well and the sound for my Wii dropped out last week and I cant figure out how to get it back. Everything else works great except for that.
Old 03-14-07, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The best price I am finding on the TX-SR604 is 368.00. Does anyone know if I can get it cheaper? I don't mind a refurb or used.

Thanks.
Old 03-14-07, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by cpgator
The best price I am finding on the TX-SR604 is 368.00. Does anyone know if I can get it cheaper? I don't mind a refurb or used.

Thanks.
Check Amazon, they show a refurb for $329.
Old 03-14-07, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bdhart
Check Amazon, they show a refurb for $329.
Thanks - however with shipping it is only $20 less than a new one at Amazon.
Old 03-14-07, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sony's releasing 4 HDMI capable receivers over the next 2 months with all prices below $500. I think the ones $299 and up will pass audio as well.

http://www.engadgethd.com/2007/02/27...ady-receivers/
Old 03-14-07, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does the Onkyo not pass audio?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.