Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Recommend Me A Receiver With HDMI For My HD Setup, Pretty Please!!

HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Recommend Me A Receiver With HDMI For My HD Setup, Pretty Please!!

Old 11-26-06, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As far as I know the A1 passes audio via HDMI and can convert the stream to multichannel PCM. So if your receiver accepts multichannel PCM audio via HDMI, you needn't have a receiver with the 1.3 spec. But perhaps someone more knowledgeable can elaborate.
Old 11-26-06, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by RocShemp
As far as I know the A1 passes audio via HDMI and can convert the stream to multichannel PCM. So if your receiver accepts multichannel PCM audio via HDMI, you needn't have a receiver with the 1.3 spec. But perhaps someone more knowledgeable can elaborate.
You got it.
Old 12-21-06, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by bdhart
I just picked up the Onkyo 604 black version at Circuit City yesterday for $359. I didn't need the 674 for upconversion because I am running an HD DVD player and a Blu ray player through the HDMI's.

Works and sounds great, the sound is fantastic.
So, you would recommend this? I may be in the same boat as you (I have HD DVD, but I am considering a BD player at some point, perhaps the PS3) and will just need the two HDMI inputs. No handshake issues for you so far?

So the advanced audio codecs and lossless audio will work fine, as long as the player will output them as multichannel PCM. I guess it will, but I'll ask to be sure: will this also work with the 24/48 tracks on BDs with DTS-MA?
Old 12-21-06, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thread Revival!!!!

I thought this thing was sunk.....

I have had the Onkyo TX-SR674 Receiver for about a month and it works awesome. Everything running via HDMI, I get all the good sounds TrueHD, DD, DTS ect. Sounds great, a little difficult to set up for us newer people to the HD world, took a little work , but hey I am happy.

As Roc says....
What was eff'ing me up was the receiver kept displaying "multichannel" and not DD+ or TrueHD, what I finally figured out is the receiver isn't processing that audio the DVD player is, so it wasn't being displayed on the receiver, just the "multichannel", when in fact the "multichannel" IS DD+ and TrueHD...I hope that makes sense, I think that makes sense.....Roc said it better than me....what I am saying even though "multichannel" is being displayed on the receiver, BUT DD+ or TrueHD is selected on the HD DVD, you ARE getting that audio...

Oh ya and I shit canned the A1 too, what a POS, I kept getting a HDMI Error 1 NOBODY could figure it out, not even Toshiba, that threw them for a loop...took it back and got the A2, MUCH better player....

Last edited by Mercury&Solace; 12-21-06 at 02:09 AM.
Old 12-21-06, 03:39 AM

What's the best price for the 674...?
Old 12-21-06, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's lookin' like about $530 is the cheapest.
Old 12-21-06, 06:53 PM

thanks, pudding!
Old 12-22-06, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No prob. Enjoying your ps3?
Old 12-23-06, 12:45 PM

Yep. FINALLY got it hooked up through HD, (scored some reasonable PS2 component cables at Gamestop) Sony really should have thrown in a damn HDMI cable! Freaking Radio Shack, RADIO SHACK, once the land of the cheap-ass cable only has Monster or their own Gold played HDMI cables and the cheapest one is $50! Yeah, I might have been born at nite but it wasn't LAST nite. We watched Kingdom Of Heaven last nite and it looked and sounded really amazing. Got a bunch of BD discs qeued up through netflix. I was sitting on the sidelines until now but I won that Amazon raffle thingy and got it with no tax so I think it was worth it. The game downloads are pretty fun too, Motorstorm is (at least in my non-gamer opinion...) a blast.

Old 12-23-06, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
I picked up a 6' Gold Plated Panasonic HDMI cable at Wal-mart for around $33.
Old 12-23-06, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Davy Mack
Yep. FINALLY got it hooked up through HD, (scored some reasonable PS2 component cables at Gamestop) Sony really should have thrown in a damn HDMI cable! Freaking Radio Shack, RADIO SHACK, once the land of the cheap-ass cable only has Monster or their own Gold played HDMI cables and the cheapest one is $50! Yeah, I might have been born at nite but it wasn't LAST nite. We watched Kingdom Of Heaven last nite and it looked and sounded really amazing. Got a bunch of BD discs qeued up through netflix. I was sitting on the sidelines until now but I won that Amazon raffle thingy and got it with no tax so I think it was worth it. The game downloads are pretty fun too, Motorstorm is (at least in my non-gamer opinion...) a blast.

Get to Monoprice. Now.
Old 12-23-06, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I ordered every single cable I needed through Monoprice - even replaced some cables I had with some higher quality, yet cheap cables from Monoprice. Everything is now working perfectly - HDMI, Component, Digital Coax, even Cat 6. Love it.
Old 12-24-06, 12:43 AM

Oh most definitely, Drexl! I just wanted to actually see this in action this weekend and we're going away tuesday AM.
Watched the freebie 25gb Talladega tonite. Had some decent looking moments but overall a HUGE notch below KOH....
Old 12-24-06, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Davy Mack
What's the best price for the 674...?
$539 shipped from jr.com

Add to cart for price listed above

Black
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4124859
Silver
Old 12-26-06, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by juanmgonzalez
$539 shipped from jr.com

Add to cart for price listed above

Black
Silver

I suggest the black one, I have it and I love it.
Old 12-26-06, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You can get a Denon AVR-2307CI from dynaco.com for about the same price. I highly recommend this receiver.
http://www.dynaco.com/Merchant2/merc...ategory_Code=R
This receiver has an $800 retail price. I ordered mine from Dynaco and had no problems, they even shipped it only a few hours after I ordered it.
Old 12-26-06, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im really on the fence with this...Its time to update the reciever now, and with the money and GC from Xmas, I think Im ready to pull the trigger. Just cant decide to get one now or just continue to save and wait until the reciever's with 1.3 start coming out. I like the Denon Flashburn posted but just cant make up my mind.
Old 12-26-06, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got one now since the players can do all of the decoding of the audio formats and the "Deep Color" part of 1.3 is meaningless right now since neither HD DVD or Blu-ray support it. I saw no real reason to wait for a 1.3 receiver and pay much more.
Old 12-26-06, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by bdhart
I just picked up the Onkyo 604 black version at Circuit City yesterday for $359. I didn't need the 674 for upconversion because I am running an HD DVD player and a Blu ray player through the HDMI's.

Works and sounds great, the sound is fantastic.
I grabbed it off Amazon for $369. It was time to replace my Harman Kardon AVR430. I needed hdmi on the receiver.

I might stop by CC and see if I can get it cheaper there or just slightly more with tax so I can have it tonite.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Great thread.
Old 12-26-06, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got one now since the players can do all of the decoding of the audio formats and the "Deep Color" part of 1.3 is meaningless right now since neither HD DVD or Blu-ray support it. I saw no real reason to wait for a 1.3 receiver and pay much more.
Yesssss!

I grabbed it off Amazon for $369. It was time to replace my Harman Kardon AVR430. I needed hdmi on the receiver.
Don't let that "multichannel" fool you like it did me, then again I am still new to the HD world, so you are prob set. Great pick up.
Old 12-26-06, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not only is HDMI 1.3 not needed yet for the advanced audio codecs, but it may be pointless even when it does arrive. If a disc is authored in the advanced content mode, the player MUST decode the audio internally. The disc won't permit the DD+/TrueHD/whatever to pass to a receiver for decoding. I don't know if all HD discs are like this, but Warner's HD DVDs certainly are. (Advanced content mode is to allow mixing of the main audio with secondary audio like the menu sounds and IME)

Could someone with the Onkyo 604 or 674 let us know whether the receiver can do speaker adjustments like levels and bass management with a multichannel LPCM track over HDMI (this would include DD+ and TrueHD decoded by the HD DVD players, not just the LPCM tracks on BDs)? I know it can't do surround processing, such as PLIIX or the DSP modes, but I would at least need it to do level adjustments and maybe bass management. Remember, with LPCM over HDMI, you don't get adjustments in the player like you do with analog outputs.
Old 12-28-06, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, Im convinced now Im looking for a new reciever...So of course I have these gift cards from bestbuy and they dont have what I want.
Old 12-28-06, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

don't forget the $40 off $200 coupon at cc from the hot deals thread

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=487327
Old 12-28-06, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
don't forget the $40 off $200 coupon at cc from the hot deals thread

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=487327
Good looking out Dick!

Could someone with the Onkyo 604 or 674 let us know whether the receiver can do speaker adjustments like levels and bass management with a multichannel LPCM track over HDMI (this would include DD+ and TrueHD decoded by the HD DVD players, not just the LPCM tracks on BDs)? I know it can't do surround processing, such as PLIIX or the DSP modes, but I would at least need it to do level adjustments and maybe bass management. Remember, with LPCM over HDMI, you don't get adjustments in the player like you do with analog outputs.
I believe so, don't quote me though. I am still pretty new to the HD world and I am still trying to figure out all the settings/adjustments, so give me a little time and I think i can get you an answer. I get a little indimidated/frusterated with all the settings and adjustments

The receiver comes with a, well like a microphone type thing you plug in, and you run a bunch of tests and put it by your speakers. Its suppose to like auto calibrate your speakers. I did it a couple of times and I didn't like how it was calibrated. (either that or I did it wrong) so I went through the set up process then just made speaker adjustments manually (bass, treble, speaker distance, ohms or was it khz, uhhh something like that) and went from there. And I am doing all this through HDMI only no other wires.
Old 12-28-06, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Mercury&Solace
The receiver comes with a, well like a microphone type thing you plug in, and you run a bunch of tests and put it by your speakers. Its suppose to like auto calibrate your speakers. I did it a couple of times and I didn't like how it was calibrated. (either that or I did it wrong)
If you put the microphone by your speakers, you definately did it wrong

You are supposed to put the microphone where you sit. You start out in the middle of your viewing area and then move it to the outsides of your viewing area.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.