Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

Your favorite HD disc so far

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

Your favorite HD disc so far

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-06, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by namja
Maybe.

I'm really waiting for it to drop to $300. And I don't think that's too unreasonable for Black Friday.
I'll be surprised if you can get an HD DVD player for that price in late November. My understanding is that the A1s have all been distributed and are likely to be sold out by then. Seems unlikely that the A2 will be discounted that much so early in its lifecycle.

But perhaps you are right and a store will sell A2s as a big loss leader or still have some A1s to clear out. But with A1s available from Amazon for $400, shipped (and some lower prices available elsewhere), I know I wouldn't want to wait for a lower price.

Good luck!

Last edited by lizard; 10-14-06 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-15-06, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by lizard
I'll be surprised if you can get an HD DVD player for that price in late November. My understanding is that the A1s have all been distributed and are likely to be sold out by then. Seems unlikely that the A2 will be discounted that much so early in its lifecycle.

But perhaps you are right and a store will sell A2s as a big loss leader or still have some A1s to clear out. But with A1s available from Amazon for $400, shipped (and some lower prices available elsewhere), I know I wouldn't want to wait for a lower price.

Good luck!
Well, we've seen the A1 for as low as $350 recently. Which is why I'm hoping that stores will have it or the A2 for less than that on Black Friday, possibly the stores selling it at a loss to get customers in to buy other stuff. I know that I will definitely be picking up a couple more HD DVDs if the player can be had for ~$300.

BTW, I got an amazon confirmation that the discs shipped. I guess I'll be taking some extended "breaks" at work next week.
Old 10-15-06, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by namja
Well, we've seen the A1 for as low as $350 recently. Which is why I'm hoping that stores will have it or the A2 for less than that on Black Friday, possibly the stores selling it at a loss to get customers in to buy other stuff. I know that I will definitely be picking up a couple more HD DVDs if the player can be had for ~$300.

BTW, I got an amazon confirmation that the discs shipped. I guess I'll be taking some extended "breaks" at work next week.
Yes, you do have that most unusual option of being able to watch HD DVDs at work! So I can understand how you can be patient in waiting for a deal on a player.

Since you are willing to settle for the A2, I presume that you have a receiver that has an HDMI input and don't need the analog output on the A1 most of us.
Old 10-15-06, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by lizard
Since you are willing to settle for the A2, I presume that you have a receiver that has an HDMI input and don't need the analog output on the A1 most of us.
Actually, quite the opposite. I am currently w/o an audio system. But when I do get one, I plan on getting one w/ an HDMI input ... and this will definitely have to wait until February.
Old 10-15-06, 05:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd almost guarantee the A1's will be gone in the next month. If anything, they will be on clearance at that point to sell the A2's. That might be the only way you'd get one from Best Buy.
Old 10-15-06, 05:39 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
That or an open box one.