Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > HD Talk
Reload this Page >

HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray vs. everything else free-for-all

Community
Search
HD Talk The place to discuss Blu-ray, 4K and all other forms and formats of HD and HDTV.

HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray vs. everything else free-for-all

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-06, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Toshiba upgrading the 1080p thing is still up in the air. I called and talked with Toshiba's support to ask about HDMI and they claimed it could be upgraded through firmware, but I take what one of those phone operators says with a grain of salt. Even if its not upgradable its a minor thing and wouldn't even benefit me for years even if it could be upgraded with firmware.
Old 04-27-06, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gcbrowni
$500 is in my 'Buy' window. For $500 I'll by a player if they have some movies I want to see, HD or BR.
I think $500 is the magic number for most people. Once you go over that, you start eliminating some of your market. Toshiba knows this.

So, my guess about Sony is that their initial BD players that run for $1000 are just to satisfy the niche market who will buy it first (and make Sony will make some money on)....then, if what they say is true, the PS3 will be $500 (or less) and thats what they will lose money on (in hopes of building the format). Im just skeptical that A) the PS3 will be under $500 and B) it will be out by Christmas.

Sony's biggest hurdle is going to be getting people to use their PS3 has a DVD/BD player. Personally, I want a upscaling DVD/HD player (which I have in the Toshiba). I would rather keep my gaming separate.
Old 04-27-06, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 246 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Jimmy 345
I am so unbelievably sick and tired of saying this but it can't do the same thing. 1080p support is the major reason for the price difference.
They both play movies in HD, hence they do the same thing. How many average joes do you think realize there is a signifigant difference between 1080i and 1080p?
Hell, i didn't even know there was until just recently when i asked what was the big difference in another thread.
Old 04-27-06, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mbs
You don't happen to have a link handy on the finding it was "fake", do you?
Meryl Lynch must be lying, too. Here is their report dated Feb 17, 2006 confirming that their updated analyis puts the BOM cost of the PS3 at $800:

We wrote last November that Sony's design choices for the PS3 had resulted in an expensive and difficult-to-manufacture product, and we think that we're seeing the consequences of those choices play out now. In particular we think the problem points are the Sony Cell processor and the Blu-Ray drive. Our updated analysis indicates that the initial bill of materials for PS3 could approach $800, falling to $320 three years from launch.
EDIT: Remember when the Meryl Lynch analyst first said that the PS3 could be pushed back to November and the die-hards didn't believe it? Of course, it happened, but for some reason they kept saying, "What does ML know? Sony hasn't officially announced any delay."...

Last edited by awmurray; 04-27-06 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-27-06, 09:12 AM
Banned

Anyone who believes these "analysts" should be shot for stupidity. No one but Sony knows the COM or would be able to even give a close estimation.
Old 04-27-06, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by awmurray
Meryl Lynch must be lying, too. Here is their report dated Feb 17, 2006 confirming that their updated analyis puts the BOM cost of the PS3 at $800:

And ML later released a revised estimate of 74,000 yen (a little under $650).
Old 04-27-06, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Grubert
Where is that link? I'd like to read it.
Old 04-27-06, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by joshd2012
Anyone who believes these "analysts" should be shot for stupidity. No one but Sony knows the COM or would be able to even give a close estimation.
I dont know why your saying this. These financial companies take these things VERY serious due to investment forecasting.

I know because I work for one. It is not absurd to think that the estimates are at least close.
Old 04-27-06, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Where is that link? I'd like to read it.
Was published on bloomberg.com but now is archived. However you can read a copy here.
Old 04-27-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Was published on bloomberg.com but now is archived. However you can read a copy here.
Strange that that one is archived, but these are not (since these are older):

Sony Shares Fall on Report of PlayStation 3 Delay

Funny that Sony immediately refuted the ML analyst's claims insisting on a Spring 2006 launch:

Sony Denies Merrill Lynch Report PlayStation 3 Will Be Delayed

EDIT:
Also, here's a link from Bloomberg posted on March 16 (same day as the link you provided) which is still up. It doesn't mention any price revisions (doesn't mention price at all):

Sony Shares Fall as PS3 Debut Delayed Until November (Update1)

Very suspicious that that article cannot be found on Bloomberg anymore.... I think someone modified the text in the one posted in your link. Note that the article titles are paraphrases of each other... yet this one is still up on Bloomberg.

Last edited by awmurray; 04-27-06 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-27-06, 10:20 AM

Strange that that one is archived, but these are not (since these are older):

Sony Shares Fall on Report of PlayStation 3 Delay

Funny that Sony immediately refuted the ML analyst's claims insisting on a Spring 2006 launch:

Sony Denies Merrill Lynch Report PlayStation 3 Will Be Delayed
Can you say damage control?? haha

Thats the big thing that worries me about Bluray...Sony seems to be on the defensive quite a bit.

They have been behind the MS release of the 360 AND behind Toshiba on the release of HD-DVD.
Old 04-27-06, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
Can you say damage control?? haha
One of these is almost certainly a modified version. The link I posted (read my edits above) is still on Bloomberg and is dated the same day and was written by the same person: Daisuke Takato in Tokyo at [email protected].

Did the same person write an article on the same day and have such similar titles?

Very fishy.

I trust the ones still on Bloomberg (obviously).

EDIT:
Actually one is dated March 15, the other March 16... strange.

Last edited by awmurray; 04-27-06 at 10:33 AM.
Old 04-27-06, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sony Shares Fall as PS3 Debut Delayed Until November (Update1)

Very suspicious that that article cannot be found on Bloomberg anymore.... I think someone modified the text in the one posted in your link. Note that the article titles are paraphrases of each other... yet this one is still up on Bloomberg.
Search on google for "Sony Delays PlayStation 3 Release Until November" and "bloomberg". You'll see that article reproduced on a dozen sites. And I physically saw it on Bloomberg.com that day.

edit: and reproduced on one of the leading Taiwan newspapers: http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/worl.../16/2003297665

Last edited by Grubert; 04-27-06 at 10:40 AM.
Old 04-27-06, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Search on google for "Sony Delays PlayStation 3 Release Until November" and "bloomberg". You'll see that article reproduced on a dozen sites. And I physically saw it on Bloomberg.com that day.
I just did the search and I can't find it reproduced on any sites.

Plenty of hits, but no reproduction of the Bloomberg article. What's more interesting is that all of the reports I do see don't mention the revised price. Only the link you provided.

You've got to admit it is pretty strange that that article is not on Bloomberg anymore.

In fact one of the links says "Edit: Deleted incorrect pricing information":

audioholics.com

Last edited by awmurray; 04-27-06 at 10:47 AM.
Old 04-27-06, 11:01 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RockStrongo
I dont know why your saying this. These financial companies take these things VERY serious due to investment forecasting.

I know because I work for one. It is not absurd to think that the estimates are at least close.
Oh, do you work for the one that predicted that the PSP would retail for over $400 because of cost of materials? Their estimate was only twice the final MSRP.

I don't take anything an analyst says seriously. They are too far away from the pulse to know anything of importance.
Old 04-27-06, 11:53 AM
Banned

Exactly. See.
Old 04-27-06, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by joshd2012
Oh, do you work for the one that predicted that the PSP would retail for over $400 because of cost of materials? Their estimate was only twice the final MSRP.

I don't take anything an analyst says seriously. They are too far away from the pulse to know anything of importance.
No I dont, but predicting the retail price is more difficult than analyzing the cost of producing it. Only Sony knows how much they are willing to lose on it.
Old 04-27-06, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Exactly. See.
You obviously didn't read the messages between that one and this one.

Those numbers and quotes are highly suspect.

Why do PS3 supporters seem to take all positive information without question, but seem to have no healthy skepticism?
Old 04-27-06, 12:33 PM
Banned

You obviously didn't read the messages between that one and this one.

Those numbers and quotes are highly suspect.

Why do PS3 supporters seem to take all positive information without question, but seem to have no healthy skepticism?
Read my earlier posts. I was highly skeptical of the $400 price tag I believe that it will cost alittle more. However the $800 price tag is a load. There is no logical reason it should cost that much. The consoles hardware isn't much better then 360s. All non Blu-Ray components should cost about the same as 360 components did when it launched. And even if the Blu-Ray ability does add $300 (Which I highely doubt) that still would only come to around $700. I have skeptism but I also have commen sense.
Old 04-27-06, 12:44 PM

Read my earlier posts. I was highly skeptical of the $400 price tag I believe that it will cost alittle more. However the $800 price tag is a load. There is no logical reason it should cost that much. The consoles hardware isn't much better then 360s. All non Blu-Ray components should cost about the same as 360 components did when it launched. And even if the Blu-Ray ability does add $300 (Which I highely doubt) that still would only come to around $700. I have skeptism but I also have commen sense.
Cost is very likely another reason that its being delayed....they might be waiting as long as possibly so prices will come down. Specs stay the same, but the parts come down in price as time goes on.

I wouldnt be surprised if the PS3's manufacturing costs were between $600-$700 by fall and they retail it at $450-500. Im just surprised that they are being silent.

Lets see what happens at E3. If nothing is said by Sony (as they did in the past), there could be problems for them.

I would think they would want pre-order availability by the time the Bluray players emerge in the market (late summer). Announcements must come soon though or the silence will be very telling.
Old 04-27-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All non Blu-Ray components should cost about the same as 360 components did when it launched. And even if the Blu-Ray ability does add $300 (Which I highely doubt) that still would only come to around $700. I have skeptism but I also have commen sense.
The other non-Xbox component would be the Sony Cell processor which ML estimates to cost about $230 to manufacture.

I know they're somewhat similar, but the report singles out the Cell processor as being an expensive component for the PS3. The Cell and BR drive are more than half the cost.

Last edited by awmurray; 04-27-06 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-27-06, 12:50 PM

The other non-Xbox component would be the Sony Cell processor which ML estimates to cost about $230 to manufacture.

I know they're somewhat similar, but the report singles out the Cell processor as being an expensive component for the PS3. The Cell and BR drive are more than half the cost.
There is also no HDMI ports on the 360.

(Damn, I wanna leave work and go home to play Oblivion now)
Old 04-27-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Oh come now. That post is pretty tempered in tone and language. I was referring to this post:
Originally Posted by dharding
...On the other hand, many of the posts from the BR contingent are "HD-DVD sucks! HD-DVD must DIE! There is only BLU-RAY! WAHOOO!!!" or joy over the potential demise of HD-DVD...
I haven't noticed such puerile language as that in posts by BD fans here. Hence my suggestion that it was hyperbole. Adam Tyner says otherwise and he ought to know, being a mod.
Old 04-27-06, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by lizard
Oh come now. That post is pretty tempered in tone and language. I was referring to this post:I haven't noticed such puerile language as that in posts by BD fans here. Hence my suggestion that it was hyperbole. Adam Tyner says otherwise and he ought to know, being a mod.
The BD fanboys are just making outrageous speculations and passing them off as facts. They are criticizing the hd-dvd format by comparing it to BD players that dont even exist yet (in the market that is).

"Well, let's not start sucking each other's dicks just yet."
Old 04-27-06, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by lizard
Oh come now. That post is pretty tempered in tone and language. I haven't noticed such puerile language as that in posts by BD fans here. Hence my suggestion that it was hyperbole. Adam Tyner says otherwise and he ought to know, being a mod.
Of course dharding was using hyperbole. He was exaggerating to make a point. Have any of the BD fanatics used exactly that language? No. But even the post you claimed to be tempered made exaggerated claims about the absolute failure of HD-DVD when the PS3 is released. Is that not also hyperbole?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.