Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Please crack down on IBTL's

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Please crack down on IBTL's

Old 04-16-01, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Re: Hijack to talk about overquoting....

Originally posted by foxdvd
Originally posted by benedict
I'm not sure why this was bumped but I'd liked to post <A HREF="http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=80827">another</a> plea for consideration when it comes to quoting.

There really is no need to repost huge amounts of dialogue; particularly on a one-page thread.

There are a few people doing it regularly and I think it comes down to plain laziness. It is not something I can see myself emailing a mod over (too petty!) but perhaps it is an issue they could take up on a case-by-case basis if they notice it.... and if they have a similar point of view!

Trimming the quote down to the salient point or even just referring to the poster by name if it was a recent post seems to me to be perfectly adequate to establish context. Anyone can scroll up if they are left in doubt.

<blink><font color=red><b>[Hastily edited to point out that I am <i>not</i> talking about <i>this</i> thread!!]</b></font></blink><hello netscapers!>

[Edited by benedict on 04-10-01 at 12:15 PM]

Just about your first point about quoting, it should have its own thread...I hate it when someone quotes all of a persons post, just to speak to one part.

i agree.
Old 04-17-01, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Master J
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=100238

This IBTL cracked me up so much. This guy ClarkKentKY has only been a member since april 2001, w/ 14 posts and he is already posting IBTL. New members must think using "IBTL" is common place on this board, that it is a requirement to make it part of their posting techniques. Oh well, this is an issue with no apparent solution.

J
As I lurked for about two months before I joined I always found the IBTL's funny. However I can understand how it can take a useless or irrelevant thread back up to the top listing of the forum.
I'd like to note I've only done it a few times, and now that I know about the IBTL backlash, I'll certainly not do again. But certainly not because of one person's unprovoked and thoughtless attack.
Old 04-17-01, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
Originally posted by Master J
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=100238

This IBTL cracked me up so much. This guy ClarkKentKY has only been a member since april 2001, w/ 14 posts and he is already posting IBTL. New members must think using "IBTL" is common place on this board, that it is a requirement to make it part of their posting techniques. Oh well, this is an issue with no apparent solution.

J
As I lurked for about two months before I joined I always found the IBTL's funny. However I can understand how it can take a useless or irrelevant thread back up to the top listing of the forum.
I'd like to note I've only done it a few times, and now that I know about the IBTL backlash, I'll certainly not do again. But certainly not because of one person's unprovoked and thoughtless attack.
I do not understand your comment here one bit. "Unprovoked and thoughtless attack", I think not. Just making an observation based on the actions of a new member who in this case happened to be you. Agree or disagree, it is up to you, but all I simply did was use your actions to illustrate my argument with no malicious intent.

You may want to rethink what you are saying about making unprovoked attacks, because a statement like that could be taken as flame bait by many members. It does not bother me so I will just let it pass, but in the future maybe choose your words a little better or you may be in the middle of an issue that will quickly escalate out of control.

regards,

J
Old 04-17-01, 03:58 PM
Banned

IBTL does not always mean "In before the lock"
also: "I Bet They're Lame"

So cracking down on people saying it's lame? ..
Old 04-17-01, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by mysterX
IBTL does not always mean "In before the lock"
also: "I Bet They're Lame"

So cracking down on people saying it's lame? ..
It is clear when it means In Before the Lock. Consider the context.
Old 04-17-01, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

J,

I wasn't trying to bait an arguement, I assure you. I'm in no hurry to make enemies on the board.
But still I saw using me as an example of the "IBTL" debate kind of harsh. Although you were trying to make the point that new members see posting IBTL's as part of the game, which is true. So I do see your side of it.
I guess i am just one of the people that see it as harmless and even a little funny in situations. But maybe a better example of the thread would be a long time offender of the "ibtl"
At any rate, your point is taken. I just didn't like being the only member singled out on the whole thread as someone who posts IBTL. Being a new member, I dont' want people to get the wrong idea and think I'm just here to be an annoyance. That is why I protested.

No harm, no foul.

Now ... back to us all being freinds...