Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Thread titling suggestion

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Thread titling suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-01, 10:06 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It is very likely just me, but I have this thing <i>against</i> thread titles bearing the names of forum members.

I know it is usually a "joking" kind of affair but my view is that it acts to elevate the importance of the individual members over the ideas/topics that members have to contribute as a group.

It can also degenerate and/or lead to copy-cat posting of a less than positive kind.

OK, so there are some birthday and conpadulations-type threads that people seem to like, generally. Perhaps these should remain but be deleted after a suitable period. (No big deal if people miss them through being on holiday).

There is email for personal messages if people want to receive email and leave the details in their profiles. Also there is space for including ICQ/AIM details. And I believe that the next version of the software may allow for additional "buddy" type features.

Bah humbugly,

<b>benedict</b>
Old 04-16-01, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think it has much impact on the overall quality of DVD Talk. Sometimes people want to rib each other publicly about certain things, or spin a new (public) discussion off another member's comment in another thread.

I'm not sure this rule would measurably improve the quality of chatter in the Other Forum.

- David Stein
Old 04-17-01, 05:29 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really don't anticipate any rules being changed.

I <i>do</i> think that any ribbing can be sufficiently public within the confines of the actual articles that constitute a thread, as opposed to being (in-your-face) in the thread title itself.

To my way of thinking, too frequent self-referential/in-crowd subject titles can be exclusive rather than inclusive (particularly to the casual browser) in much the same way as an over abundance of mature/locker-room posts can be off-putting.

By the way, I'm really doing little more here than getting something off my chest; albeit semi-publicly....

<font color=blue>[I was about to delete this "venting" thread but then I spied the six or more "youtoo" threads on page one of the Other forum. How very, <b>very</b> droll!]</font>