Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Suggestion

Old 03-17-01, 12:26 PM
Banned

Please make a "Poll Forum" or something. The "DVD Talk" forum is overrun with completely moronic polls. Just on the first two pages:

Which movie would you like to see the "all-nude" version of?
Movies You've Once Seen And You Hope To God To Never See Again!!!
Best performance by a dog in an action film?
Worst performance in a great movie?
Movies with High Repeat Viewing
All-time great closing lines
Most TRAGIC Movie ?
Favourite 'Indie' Film
Favourite NICK NOLTE Movie ?
Name one (or two) actors you like that no one else seems to
Corniest sports movie ever?
Who are some actors that are naturally funny?
Who's the next BIG Star ?
Directors who are also decent actors.
Best "DRUG" film?
Best Music/Musical Score used in a film?

This isn't "DVD talk", it's "poll talk"!
Old 03-17-01, 01:19 PM
Banned

you forgot this one:

More really lame polls!

started by you...

don't expect anyone to take you seriously when you're contributing to the littering of the forum.
Old 03-17-01, 01:23 PM
Banned

Perhaps you didn't understand that that post was meant to be sarcastic?

[Edited by Chumley1 on 03-17-01 at 11:28 AM]
Old 03-17-01, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Chumley, that one was mine. If you would have gone into that thread you would have noticed me saying that I was mocking people who start pointless polls in there by doing one of my own.

By the way, I think a movie polls forum should be put up (polls in the other forum should stay there). It will help clean out the dvdtalk forum. If a General Movie forum would be put up it would get crowded like the dvdtalk forum eventually (not a good thing).

[Edited by aob505 on 03-17-01 at 12:16 PM]
Old 03-17-01, 02:45 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Chumley1
Perhaps you didn't understand that that post was meant to be sarcastic?

[Edited by Chumley1 on 03-17-01 at 11:28 AM]
Oh, I understand quite well your attempt at sarcasm. I'm also not defending the polls, although I have no problem just moving my eyes down past them. My point is still:

don't expect anyone to take you seriously when you're contributing to the littering of the forum

which you did with your non-DVD related thread, sarcastic or not.
Old 03-17-01, 06:59 PM
Retired

Something certainly needs to be done. Their are too many poll threads, and most of the threads are about movies rather than dvd's. I know that's the description of the forum, but it's lame. We need the DVD Talk forum for DVD's a General Movie Discussion forum, and a Poll forum. As it is now, I rarely read that forum any more. It's too cluttered. The narrowly defined forums like At The Movies, TV Talk, and Video Game Talk are great. Being narrow allows the threads to stay on topic, and keeps the forums from getting too cluttered. They're the only things that keep me coming here. The other forums are cluttered, full of crap posts, and are just generally going to sh!t.

[Edited by joshhinkle on 03-17-01 at 07:23 PM]
Old 03-18-01, 01:00 AM
Banned

Re: Best performance by a dog in an action film?

Originally posted by aob505
Chumley, that one was mine. If you would have gone into that thread you would have noticed me saying that I was mocking people who start pointless polls in there by doing one of my own.
Oh, heh... didn't mean to implicate you or anything. I see I'm not the only one who is totally annoyed by the abundance of polls. I can't even look at the forum anymore, there's too much garbage to wade through. Like joshhinkle says, the focus of the forum should be SPECIFICALLY DVDs, not movies in general.
Old 03-18-01, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Another suggestion

Please whine and moan in as many threads as possible in an attempt to get your point across.

[Edited by TaTTooD on 03-18-01 at 04:56 AM]
Old 03-18-01, 06:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I see I'm not the only one who is totally annoyed by the abundance of polls. I can't even look at the forum anymore, there's too much garbage to wade through[/B][/QUOTE]

I like the poll threads.
Old 03-18-01, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Most threads might legitimately be called a poll thread, because you are "polling" the DVD Members for responses. This is done even in an issue oriented thread.

I'm afraid if we had a poll forum, the majority of the threads in DVD Talk Forum and the Other Forum would have to be moved to that new forum.
Old 03-18-01, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by classicman2
Most threads might legitimately be called a poll thread, because you are "polling" the DVD Members for responses. This is done even in an issue oriented thread.

I'm afraid if we had a poll forum, the majority of the threads in DVD Talk Forum and the Other Forum would have to be moved to that new forum.
I agree. Plus, It is easy to move a thread because of content, however, having to decide what is a "poll" or not is more difficult for the reasons classicman gave.
Old 03-18-01, 12:44 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Bushdog

I agree. Plus, It is easy to move a thread because of content, however, having to decide what is a "poll" or not is more difficult for the reasons classicman gave.
I think polls are pretty easy to recognize just from the titles posted above.

Most TRAGIC Movie ?
Favourite 'Indie' Film
Best "DRUG" film?
If the mods can't tell that these are polls, then maybe we need more intelligent mods.
Old 03-18-01, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by joshhinkle

Most TRAGIC Movie ?
Favourite 'Indie' Film
Best "DRUG" film?
If the mods can't tell that these are polls, then maybe we need more intelligent mods.
Agreed. And what about all those deceiving posts labeled "POLL:XXXXXXXXXXXXX"? Those are tough to decipher whether they're polls or not, too.
Old 03-18-01, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

joshhinkle, what about threads that are just questions (as are most threads in DVDTalk or Other)? What makes them not polls also? I find your description arbitrary.

While it may be black and white to you, there are some people who see a little more complexity to the issue. I am amongst this group.

As for not being smart, I must have had my University fooled when they conferred my Doctoral degree on me.
Old 03-18-01, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by joshhinkle
I think polls are pretty easy to recognize just from the titles posted above.
Do you not believe that most of the issue oriented (what some would call serious threads) on the Other Forum would be considered "polls?" I do!

I believe it would take a Solomon to moderate the forum(s) if we had a "poll forum." People (at least some) would be upset.

The last time I checked none of our illustrious and esteemed moderators possessed the wisdom of Solomon.

Old 03-18-01, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by scott27
Agreed. And what about all those deceiving posts labeled "POLL:XXXXXXXXXXXXX"? Those are tough to decipher whether they're polls or not, too. [/B]
If you don't like the job a moderator is doing, take it up with Geoff. He welcomes feedback from all members.

What you seem to fail to realize is a great number of threads are not labelled "Poll" and the concern lies in those threads not the obvious ones.
Old 03-18-01, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I believe it would take a Solomon to moderate the forum(s) if we had a "poll forum." People (at least some) would be upset.
It doesn't seem to be a problem on the Home Theater Forum, which has more forums and almost exactly the same number of users.
Old 03-18-01, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by ctyner
It doesn't seem to be a problem on the Home Theater Forum, which has more forums and almost exactly the same number of users.
The last time I visited that forum it did not have a rough-and-tumble Other Forum. I believe there is (or was) a big difference betwen the Home Theater Forum and DVD Talk.
Old 03-18-01, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

I just made a cursory scan of the first page of the Other Forum. IMO, 34 of the threads are poll oreiented threads. I didn't count how many threads were on the first page.
Old 03-18-01, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Agreed. And what about all those deceiving posts labeled "POLL:XXXXXXXXXXXXX"? Those are tough to decipher whether they're polls or not, too.
If you don't like the job a moderator is doing, take it up with Geoff. He welcomes feedback from all members.[/B]
I think the moderators do a fine job. Apparently the wasn't enough to signify my post was a joke? I apologize, then.
Old 03-18-01, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just made a cursory scan of the first page of the Other Forum. IMO, 34 of the threads are poll oreiented threads. I didn't count how many threads were on the first page.
I just did the same, and counted 14 threads I would consider to be polls, albeit, I went solely by the titles of the threads and didn't open any of them up.
Old 03-18-01, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you don't like the job a moderator is doing, take it up with Geoff. He welcomes feedback from all members.
I think the moderators do a fine job. Apparently the wasn't enough to signify my post was a joke? I apologize, then. [/B]
Just letting you know your options.

And my should have let you know I wasn't angry, just like your suggested you were joking.
Old 03-18-01, 01:35 PM
Mod Emeritus

[QUOTE]<small>Originally posted by classicman2
The last time I checked none of our illustrious and esteemed moderators possessed the wisdom of Solomon. </small>
Yup! Gotta chop those babies in half! Yessirree!
Old 03-18-01, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

I believe there is (or was) a big difference betwen the Home Theater Forum and DVD Talk.
I was referring more to the polls in the forums aside from Other... Regardless, I've found myself vastly preferring the HTF lately -- the discussion there is much less volatile and much, much more intelligent.
Old 03-18-01, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ctyner
I believe there is (or was) a big difference betwen the Home Theater Forum and DVD Talk.
I was referring more to the polls in the forums aside from Other... Regardless, I've found myself vastly preferring the HTF lately -- the discussion there is much less volatile and much, much more intelligent.
I gotta agree with that. Just a couple months ago, about 85-90% of my forum reading was done here instead of there , but that number has gone down in the past 2 months or so.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.