Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Houston, We Have A Problem...

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Houston, We Have A Problem...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-18, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Houston, We Have A Problem...

Originally Posted by rw2516
Two more of the type of personal attacks I posted about.
I saw your attempt to redefine what is a personal attack. I have no response other than waiting for the mods and admins to make their call.

But I would suggest people stop taking statements not directed at them personally if they don't feel the statement applies to them. When people post about others being racists, homophobes, or misogynists, you will not see me rushing to defend myself.
Old 09-02-18, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay G.
However, there does need to be room in the conversation for people to argue that criticizing a woman for her voice, especially for being "shrill," is sexist:
https://debuk.wordpress.com/2016/03/...of-the-shrill/
In your opinion.

I do not share that opinion because that is a sexist view!

Women can deal with ball busting just like men can. Women can deal with having their appearances addressed just like men can. Women can deal with having their voices ridiculed just like men can.

Women do not need special treatment. They've been telling us that for 50 years - and they're right!

Women are NOT Less Than.

I also don't see any sort of public "diatribe" from a mod on your responding post.
https://forum.dvdtalk.com/13399632-post19224.html

Groucho ignored the one that YOU said crossed the line (he posted shortly thereafter and said not a word about it. Then Story read me the riot act and gave me a lecture about personal attacks WHEN I DIDN'T MAKE A PERSONAL ATTACK, I ATTACKED THE COMMENT! Clearly (that comment is stupid). I didn't address the person making the comment at all, just the lazy nature of calling me a sexist as stupid.

But Story didn't like me going after a stupid comment, so I got read the riot act. And the guy indirectly calling me a sexist got a free pass - by two Mods.

I followed the rules, the other person didn't, and I was the one who got reprimanded.

WTF?????

You cannot tell me that wasn't due to a bias because Story has been posting nothing but liberal points of view, points of view carried over to me by PM telling me how I was wrong and the other guy was OK.

When pressed on it further (and I'll admit I was a bit testy as a friend of mine at work died suddenly and I wasn't in the best of moods because of that - a fact I forwarded to Story as a bit of context) Story failed to explain why the other guy's indirect attack on my character was OK while my refusal to accept his COMMENT (as stupid) wasn't OK.

There really is a problem here.
Old 09-02-18, 04:57 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

"I will not be politically correct" says the person demanding that people not use terms like racist or bigot or sexist to describe posts that sound racist, bigoted, or sexist, with no sense of irony.

There's a problem in this place alright. It's just not what some think it is.
Old 09-02-18, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

Jeez, sorry about your friend, B5. That kind of thing can throw you for a loop for sure.
Old 09-02-18, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan
"I will not be politically correct" says the person demanding that people not use terms like racist or bigot or sexist to describe posts that sound racist, bigoted, or sexist, with no sense of irony.

There's a problem in this place alright. It's just not what some think it is.
Yes, there is a problem all right - personal attacks are allowed if you are on the left. But if you are in the middle or right of center you cannot even call a comment, "Stupid," even if you clearly are just addressing the comment.

There is a double standard here.

Just because someone posts a comment that reflects reality doesn't make them a racist. I think part of the problem is that the people on the left here misconstrue comments that talk about things as they are as endorsements of those things. I'm not endorsing the fact that a black James Bond would have different life experiences than a white James Bond. I don't like that fact, but it is a fact.

But people act like I'm jumping for joy when I post those comments ("Woo-Hoo, blacks got it tough! They can't get into an Upper Class, elitist establishment in Britain! FUCKIN-A, YEAH!!!!!").

Just the opposite is true. It think its all kinds of wrong and, frankly, more than a little depressing. The fact that people assume the worst is far more insulting that anything I could ever post.
Old 09-02-18, 05:10 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by B5Erik
and I'll admit I was a bit testy as a friend of mine at work died suddenly and I wasn't in the best of moods because of that
All else aside, my condolences man. That's tough. Last year I found out a childhood friend and her toddler were murdered.

I say this with 100% respect and concern. Make sure you take some time to grieve if you haven't. When bad shit goes down, it's always (always) a good idea to step away from Online for a bit to appreciate the real world stuff that matters.
Old 09-02-18, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
Jeez, sorry about your friend, B5. That kind of thing can throw you for a loop for sure.
He was THE most beloved and popular - and indispensible - member of our entire region. And he was only a couple years older than me. Heart attack and stroke - but he was on the road to recovery and we all thought he'd be (relatively) OK. Then, BOOM. Gone. Everyone was in shock. A lot of people (including me) had to leave work early because it was such a distraction. People were crying, they had grief counselors - it was bad.

So I was extra testy.

Which is why I went off when someone got away with indirectly calling me a sexist and then I'm called on the carpet for calling such an accusation, "Stupid."
Old 09-02-18, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You cannot tell me that wasn't due to a bias because Story has been posting nothing but liberal points of view, points of view carried over to me by PM telling me how I was wrong and the other guy was OK.
Yes, there is a problem all right - personal attacks are allowed if you are on the left.
So you're back to the mods being politically biased again.

Some people find all sorts of unoffensive stuff offensive. That doesn't make their views legitimate.
So the concerns of women and minorities are not legitimate unless you say there are? Wow. That's definitely my breaking point for this discussion.
Old 09-02-18, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hdnmickey
So you're back to the mods being politically biased again.
Tell me how not enforcing a rules violation by someone on the left and then penalizing someone right of center for a non-rules violation isn't biased?

So the concerns of women and minorities are not legitimate unless you say there are? Wow. That's definitely my breaking point for this discussion.
So you speak for women and minorities?

If a woman or a person of an ethnic background germane to the discussion has a problem with anything I post I'll be glad to explain my point of view and clear it up.

Short of that you have no standing to be offended on their behalf.

But I have not made any disparaging comments about women or minorities. I have never once said they are less than in any way. Women and minorities are the intellectual equals of white men. That I firmly believe. Got a problem with that?
Old 09-02-18, 10:54 PM

Received 1,922 Likes on 1,133 Posts

B5Erik, you have my condolences. That just plain sucks, I can't imagine. May you and all who felt the love of your friend feel the comforting presence of the Spirit in their grief today and whenever it pays you a visit.

Hi, friends, away on a wonderful holiday weekend. Hope you all are finding some time to relax.

Just a brief moment to respond a little, as I'm personally being written about here in the third person. Don't know if I'd always do this, but I will this time.

1. I don't see the value in publicly commenting on the specific contents of PMs between members and me, especially regarding moderation, even if it's to clarify or correct. I won't be addressing any referenced PMs here, thanks. Maybe that will change in the future but that's where I stand today.
2. In that Trump thread (Oh, that Trump thread!) I lifted up an example out of many potentials and I neglected to bold everything I meant to bold. It was my mistake, I've corrected it, and I'm sorry about that.
3. In that post, which I wrote to everyone and not just one person, I asked an honest question about how we engage people, and requested that we do do better, all using the word "please." Twice. That, to me, does not in any way get to the level of vociferously taking anyone to task, jumping all over anyone, or reading anyone the riot act - any one person or the community at large. I'm glad to speak with everyone about my modding style, and I'd appreciate it if everyone would please characterize it in an accurate manner.
4. I have no political motivations or bias for how I mod nor for why I accepted the role six weeks ago. As I wrote in my welcome thread, it matters less to me "what" you write and more it's about "how" you write it. Your politics doesn't matter to me, it's whether you can assert your politics with civility or not that I think is important. If you want to see my motivation, check the sentence that's been in my signature for at least 5 or more years: "Choose kindness."
5. I made brats on the grill tonight. They had frickin' blueberries in them. They were awesome.

For more of my thoughts on how we all do better here, I'll point you to my post earlier in this thread.
Old 09-02-18, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

If a woman or a person of an ethnic background germane to the discussion has a problem with anything I post I'll be glad to explain my point of view and clear it up.
Old 09-03-18, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Unless you know someone you have no real basis, not enough of a basis, to accuse them of racism or sexism...
I'd argue that even if someone knew someone else personally in the real world, there's still not place for namecalling on this forum.

But people can judge a person's statements to be sexist, racists, etc. It's up to them to determine what that is, and you can argue back your view, etc.

Just because someone doesn't like a particular fact of life doesn't mean that the person bringing up that fact of life is a racist or that it's a racist comment.
Call you a racist? No. Say that you made a racist comment? Yes. What you consider a "fact of life" may not be the same as others, and whether that should affect fictional movies is an entirely different argument. We're here to have a discussion, not to just shout statements to the void.

In your opinion.

I do not share that opinion because that is a sexist view!
...which is how such a discussion should continue. They say it's racist, you counter it's not and/or say that their statement is racist, they come back and retort, etc.

Just to re-iterate, I think you've made some points about personal attacks needing to be better watchdogged, but your argument sometimes skirts the line between "that was a personal attack," and "I don't want my opinions challenged."
Old 09-03-18, 08:13 AM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

Story already responded, but I’ll post my thoughts from last night before I got distracted.

My take on the story comment on Friday 8/31, he was trying to diffuse the situation before it got out of hand, before the thread became a “dumpster fire,” as has been noted here. He picked a couple of random examples, he was not stating that the two examples he chose were the only issues. He was being proactive and addressed a potential issue as the mods have been asked to do in this very thread.

I’ve read back a bit and I don’t have any specific examples of liberals not getting dealt with in the thread in question and I don’t have any RTP emails about the thread in question, so it makes it harder for me to do anything corrective here.
Old 09-04-18, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Unless you know someone you have no real basis, not enough of a basis, to accuse them of racism or sexism.

As I noted in my post above, I work for a black woman who is five years younger than me, and I respect and admire her more than anyone else that I work with. Period. I view people as individuals.

But people posting here don't know that. They jump to wild conclusions because they want to, because it makes their disapproval of certain points of view that much easier. It makes it that much easier to attack opinions when you assign them to someone that you simply dismiss as racist or sexist.

It's lazy and not very thoughtful (literally, not much thought is put into a personal attack like that - it's reflexive).

Guess what, in the real world a black man can't be a white woman's brother. Just not gonna happen. And in the movies such a thing is ridiculous (when was the last time you saw a black man adopt a white girl? Fant4stic). And that move, a totally PC move, killed the family dynamic of the comic. In the comic they are one big family. Is it racist to say that changing that dynamic was stupid? Is it racist to say that a black man can't be a white woman's brother? It shouldn't be since the statement just reflects reality.

But there are people here who took offense to that statement (and several people made it and were lambasted as racists for doing so).

Just because someone doesn't like a particular fact of life doesn't mean that the person bringing up that fact of life is a racist or that it's a racist comment.

Saying that a black man SHOULD never be able to adopt a white girl would be a racist statement. But merely saying that it just doesn't happen isn't.

And that's why I say that if some people are offended by statements like that then I'm not going to worry about it. I don't support holding people down or treating them differently just because of the color of their skin or the country of their family's origin. That kind of thing is bullshit.

But saying that a black James Bond would have significantly different life experiences than the Bond that many of us know and love isn't a racist statement. It's a statement of fact, not a value judgment on whether it's right or wrong that such a situation is (unfortunately) still a fact of life in 2018.

Calling that view, "Racist," is lazy and disingenuous.
A black man can't be a white woman's brother? There are hundreds if not thousands of people in this situation and you think it can't happen in the real world? You never heard of adoption? You never heard of a person with kids get married and the other person adopting the kids? You never heard of people having babies by different races? You never heard of mixed race families that have children with different skin tones?

Your statement is wrong and incredibly stupid. Madonna has black son and white daughter along thousands of other people. My best friend, a black man, got married to a white woman and adopted her white kid. They had two other kids so now they have white and black siblings in the real world which apparently you don't live in. My high school teacher has two mixed raced daughters but they don't look mixed. One looks white and other black. This happen in the real world.

James Bond is a fictional character. He doesn't live in the real world where real things happen. His history is fictional and has changed multiple times because he isn't real. A fictional character can have any history and that is a fact. So yes your statement was racist and almost as stupid as your statement that black men can't have white sisters. That was just on another level of crazy. I'm shocked no one else even commented on how dumb it was. There are like a hundred other examples in the REAL WORLD that can be given out. John McCain has a black kid along with the white ones. That one racist senator that knocked up his maid has black kid along with the white ones. Jolie has a rainbow of kids. Jesus Christ there is only one other posters that puts out this level of weird posts that have no bases in reality. The only differences is you actually believe the garbage you post.

I just need to point out that Santa Claus isn't real and can be black also. Black Santa doesn't remove white Santa from existence. The same is true of James Bond because neither are real.
Old 09-04-18, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
A black man can't be a white woman's brother? There are hundreds if not thousands of people in this situation and you think it can't happen in the real world? You never heard of adoption? You never heard of a person with kids get married and the other person adopting the kids? You never heard of people having babies by different races? You never heard of mixed race families that have children with different skin tones?
Of course I have. (In fact, I spent some time going over adoption in that post...)

However, there is no way that Michael B. Jordan could be Kate Mara's brother - (if they wanted to go that route they'd need actors of at least somewhat mixed ethnic backgrounds to make it work) - except by adoption, which completely changes the family dynamic that was originally presented in the comic book. Secondarily, as I noted before, it may be wrong, it may be unfair, but a single black man is extremely unlikely to be approved to adopt a white girl, so adoption becomes a bit of a fantasy.

But they went the adoption route, and that really changed the family dynamic of the group in Fant4stic (when compared to the source material). And that is what people bitched about.

Notice I'm not endorsing these facts of life as a good thing. I'm not stating these things with glee. We are just not yet to an enlightened time when such things are considered backwards and primitive thinking.

My point, however, was that the change they made to the family dynamic in Fant4stic hurt the movie. It made a change for the worse from the source material. It didn't work. But why did they do it if it didn't improve on the source material? It certainly looked like a move to be inclusive and politically correct. It wasn't a move based on better storytelling. And that's the issue a lot of people have - that these changes aren't made to tell a better story, but to score points among their peers for being inclusive and politically correct. Anyone who knows the political climate in Hollywood knows that's true. So are those offensive statements, or just honest observations of how things are?

Oh, and yet again one sentence is taken out of context to allow for outrage.

Last edited by B5Erik; 09-04-18 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-04-18, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,883 Likes on 1,239 Posts

except by adoption, which completely changes the family dynamic that was originally presented in the comic book.
I'd argue that adoption plays better to the family dynamic. The Fantastic Four is the family they made rather than the family at least some of them were born into.

Secondarily, as I noted before, it may be wrong, it may be unfair, but a single black man is extremely unlikely to be approved to adopt a white girl, so adoption becomes a bit of a fantasy.
Is it any less realistic than a teenager engineering the means to teleport to another dimension, a man who can stretch his limbs like Silly Putty, a woman who can turn invisible and generate force fields, empowering someone to engulf himself in flames without getting burned and also fly, become a rocky behemoth with superhuman strength?

That's okay, but a successful, respected scientist adopting a daughter of a different race? That's a bridge too far! (Nevermind the fact that any such concerns had already been explained away by having Sue be adopted as a baby from Eastern Europe.)

It certainly looked like a move to be inclusive and politically correct.
Or Josh Trank wanting to work again with an actor he'd had already had a terrific experience with.

So are those offensive statements, or just honest observations of how things are?
I feel like I've heard this before.

Old 09-04-18, 09:46 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

"political correctness"

This should be required viewing before people spout off on this dumb idea.

Old 09-04-18, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I'd argue that adoption plays better to the family dynamic. The Fantastic Four is the family they made rather than the family at least some of them were born into.

Is it any less realistic than a teenager engineering the means to teleport to another dimension, a man who can stretch his limbs like Silly Putty, a woman who can turn invisible and generate force fields, empowering someone to engulf himself in flames without getting burned and also fly, become a rocky behemoth with superhuman strength?

That's okay, but a successful, respected scientist adopting a daughter of a different race? That's a bridge too far! (Nevermind the fact that any such concerns had already been explained away by having Sue be adopted as a baby from Eastern Europe.)

Or Josh Trank wanting to work again with an actor he'd had already had a terrific experience with.

I feel like I've heard this before.
And yet again with the personal attacks on character. (I don't have any idea who's picture that is, but I'm sure it's a pretty damned bad person - making that nasty personal attack.)

So Sue was adopted as a baby from Eastern Europe? That's pretty damned far removed from the source material, which is the problem a lot of people had. The source material was so radically changed that it didn't resemble the Fantastic Four except in name and the powers of the team members.

I also had a problem with how young they made the characters (as did a lot of people) and how they portrayed Ben Grimm. But those gripes didn't seem germane to this discussion.

I guess it's considered wrong around here to prefer movies stick to the source material as closely as possible rather than making unnecessary changes.

By the way, the future isn't black and white, it's varying shades of mahogany brown. And that's probably a good thing, since we can't have discussions like these without people getting angry and attacking someone (on personal level) who posts what is perceived to be a politically incorrect statement.
Old 09-04-18, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,835 Likes on 1,230 Posts

I'd like to add again that these are FANTASY movies, and in particular, ones that depict the world as we WISH IT COULD BE (superpowers, super-cool gadgets and spies). They are wish-fulfillment fantasies, so to hold them to real-world standards isn't tenable.

If we want a world where black people can live without any prejudice, why not start in the movies?
Old 09-04-18, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by B5 since he believes the birther movement wasn't racist.
Old 09-04-18, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

...since we can't have discussions like these without people getting angry and attacking someone (on personal level) who posts what is perceived to be a politically incorrect statement.
I feel the recent discussion of specific arguments and such for specific movies is a bit off-topic for this thread, and any talk of Fantastic 4 should move to an F4 discussion thread, for example.

However, the recent posts are an example that we can have discussions like these without personal attacks.

BTW, this bit:
And yet again with the personal attacks on character. (I don't have any idea who's picture that is, but I'm sure it's a pretty damned bad person - making that nasty personal attack.)
That's a picture of James Damore, who wrote the infamous "Google memo," who defended the offensive statements he made by saying, basically, the same argument you made, that they were "just honest observations of how things are." He wasn't saying you are James Damore, but that you're making the same argument he did.
Old 09-04-18, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,021 Likes on 843 Posts

However, there is no way that Michael B. Jordan could be Kate Mara's brother - (if they wanted to go that route they'd need actors of at least somewhat mixed ethnic backgrounds to make it work) - except by adoption, which completely changes the family dynamic that was originally presented in the comic book.
I disagree with the premise that only people who look mixed can be mixed. As Baron of Hell said, sometimes they just don't.

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell
My high school teacher has two mixed raced daughters but they don't look mixed. One looks white and other black. This happen in the real world.
Old 09-04-18, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It also ridiculous to go on about how movies "should stick to the source material" if they are not going to be set in the time the source material is written. So much of the inherent racism in the source material makes far less sense when a movie is set in the present day.
Old 09-04-18, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

However, there is no way that Michael B. Jordan could be Kate Mara's brother - (if they wanted to go that route they'd need actors of at least somewhat mixed ethnic backgrounds to make it work) - except by adoption,
These are biological twins:

Old 09-04-18, 11:08 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

^ liberal propaganda! /s

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.