Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Re: posting guidelines

Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Re: posting guidelines

Old 08-31-13, 11:06 AM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 194
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: posting guidelines

Re: posting guidlines ( here )

That was suggested to me here (aka http://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-po...l#post11816457 ) to be discussed, here, in this Forum section ...

Originally Posted by Darkman00
I [...] figured that in original / 1st post of the thread ... posting just the details from article should be appropriate as well ...

Basically .. "post it and then talk about it" ...

You don't agree?
Originally Posted by benedict
The posting guidelines here cover this very point.

If you'd like to discuss that longstanding and deeply-considered sticky post, or lobby for any part of it to be re-worded/changed, I'd recommend that you do so in the Feedback Forum.<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message -->
So I read that stickly post / posting gudelines ... and see there:

[...]

While they are not hard rules the following recommendations are also made to help foster a more cooperative environment:
[...]
- Similarly though just posting an article and link, particularly as the first post in a thread, w/o any additional commentary to continue the dialog is discouraged. If it's good enough to post it's worth commenting on as well.
First of all, it seems like, that particular point / rule is "not a hard rule" as indicated above, in posting guidelines

and secondly, what's, really, the difference if one posts in Original Post (in thread's 1st post) for example:

--------

Check this out ... looks like another potential "Obama's son"? :

"blah blah blah"

Source: link provided



instead of simply posting, for example:

"blah blah blah"

Source: link provided



and then, say in the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th thread's post, posting, again, for example:

looks like another potential "Obama's son"?

--------------

I would assume sometimes simply posting information in the 1st post of the thread and then discuss it in other posts of the thread should be OK ... rather than, say, simply adding to the 1st post of the thread something as small as "check it out guys, .. blah blah" (for example)

That's why those rules are NOT "hard rules" possibly?

Thanks
Old 08-31-13, 11:33 AM
  #2  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 194
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: posting guidelines

BTW,

That thread, mentioned above ( http://forum.dvdtalk.com/religion-po...d-bad-day.html ) is now closed by another moderator (reason for closing: " [...] since no good discussion is coming out of this. ")

... So just to reply to that post:

Well .. I was sleeping ... LOL ... give me a chance to wake up, maybe, and add something else to the discussion, or to reply to other posts .. such posts as:

Jesus, man. Can we cut this crap out? You have an obvious agenda here from this and other posts. This isn't the way to get your point across and gives the appearance of the same claim of "race baiting" you seem to be making. It hurts your cause.
and:

Are we going to get this kind of idiotic thread every time a black person kills a white person?
Well...

1) I have NO agenda ... It's not my fault this happened ... and, again, down in Florida. ... So I thought I'd mention it.

2) Far from "every time a black peson kills a white person" ... (there is bunch of stuff like that is happening, every day even ... and I posted just one such case)

3) However if a white person kills a black person, it's often OK for us to open such threads or make a "country-wide" discussion out of it, ... often without even getting all the facts first or all the facts straight?

4) But thanks for pinpointing those points to me people ... Maybe moderator is correct about this anyhow (re: "no good discussion is going to come out of this") ... Maybe I'll just abstain from opening similar threads in the future, if others seem to mind it that much.

Thanks for your time.
Old 08-31-13, 12:31 PM
  #3  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,060
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: posting guidelines

Originally Posted by Darkman00 View Post
Maybe I'll just abstain from opening similar threads in the future, if others seem to mind it that much.
Looks like this problem solved itself.
Old 08-31-13, 12:48 PM
  #4  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 194
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: posting guidelines

... solved itself?

LOL,

if you say so ...
Old 08-31-13, 02:12 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 8,010
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: posting guidelines

Originally Posted by Darkman00 View Post
1) I have NO agenda ... It's not my fault this happened ... and, again, down in Florida. ... So I thought I'd mention it.

2) Far from "every time a black peson kills a white person" ... (there is bunch of stuff like that is happening, every day even ... and I posted just one such case)
As you mentioned, stuff like this is happening all the time, but we're not creating threads out of it all the time. Why did you choose to make a thread for this one? Was there something about it that you thought was particularly noteworthy and worthy of discussion? When you don't include that (and the OP just contains 3 sentences) it leads to fairly natural assumptions about your agenda in posting it. As for your claim of having no agenda, your comments in point 3:

Originally Posted by Darkman00 View Post
3) However if a white person kills a black person, it's often OK for us to open such threads or make a "country-wide" discussion out of it, ... often without even getting all the facts first or all the facts straight?
would seem to belie that.
Old 08-31-13, 02:26 PM
  #6  
Banned
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 194
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: posting guidelines

I hear you ....

Not sure if it's my agenda however ...

English is my 2nd language ... so maybe I am misinterpreting that word...

All I am saying ... any of those guys (the thug or the victim) could have been Obama's sons as well ... but we are not hearing about it ...

neither directly from Obama nor from Al, Jesse, Ben etc ...

Point taken though ...

TM / GZ open thread is, more likely, quite enough to "bring all this BS right up to surface".

p.s. Good Russian expression, however, comes to mind: "chit doesn't drown" .....

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.