Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

How do we improve DVDTalk?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-13, 05:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi all,

I have created this thread to discuss community suggestions for improving DVDTalk.

Issue number one is the original topic of the thread that spawned this one: DVDTalk mobile.

What else can we do to get more people using and posting on DVDTalk?

I'll do my best to advocate for anything the DVDTalk community gets behind, and will ensure that all reasonable suggestions are heard.

Paul
Community Manager
Old 03-25-13, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: How do we improve DVDTalk?

I disable them but just allow avatars.

Gotta say - pretty cool of you to get this discussion going Paul
Old 03-25-13, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by auto

I came in to say the same...avatars for all.
Old 03-25-13, 08:08 PM

Just so we're clear on nomenclature, what you mean is a photo/logo that appears along with your username to the left of all your posts, correct? I only ask because the software defines an avatar and a "profile picture" differently.

I have just added an avatar to my posts. That's it, right?

Has there been community discussion around avatars in the past? Any reason they have not traditionally been used? What currently determines if you can have one?
Old 03-25-13, 08:14 PM

Also:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11628572-post41.html

Mobile!
Old 03-25-13, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IBobi

Just so we're clear on nomenclature, what you mean is a photo/logo that appears along with your username to the left of all your posts, correct? I only ask because the software defines an avatar and a "profile picture" differently.

I have just added an avatar to my posts. That's it, right?

Has there been community discussion around avatars in the past? Any reason they have not traditionally been used? What currently determines if you can have one?
Yes, that is an avatar. As it stands, avatars are only available to those who pay for a premium subscription each year. I was doing so until I got sick of there being no mobile option and the big drop of activity. I felt like I was just getting ripped off.

Avatars should be available for everyone, with no need to pay for it.

That is great news on that mobile option. I'll save my excitement for when it is confirmed however, lol.
Old 03-25-13, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Paul - check out this thread. That was how people originally received avatars.
Old 03-25-13, 08:33 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Tapatalk or a similarly robust mobile option is the only way DVDTalk is going to grow, or even survive. It may already be too late.

And selfishly; if you give avatars to everyone, you better give something really awesome to us premium supporters; as the avatars were pretty much the only real perk for our cash.
Old 03-25-13, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

You've got the premium forums!!
Old 03-25-13, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Is Tapatalk free or is it also $1.99? Not a deal breaker.. just asking as this is a traditional deals site..
Old 03-25-13, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Also, I know there was talk of changing the site name to another name w/o "DVD" and DVD being just a sub category. From a marketing perspective, and as this site has grown beyond DVD to other formats (Streaming included)... Maybe make aliases for it that are more modern in the "talk" that is occurring, still leaving "DVD" as appropriate. Not sure what that term would be, but I am sure our collective thinkers could come up with some viable suggestions. Not that this would make it better, but could have the potential for new users.
Old 03-25-13, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

b2net has a good idea, I think. HDTalk points back to DVDTalk, maybe some sort of movement or branding towards that would attract new people. Of course, there's also Video Game Talk but I barely noticed that site existed, and i'm a big gamer. Redesigning that site and relaunching it might be fun.
Old 03-25-13, 09:24 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by b2net
Is Tapatalk free or is it also $1.99? Not a deal breaker.. just asking as this is a traditional deals site..
Tapatalk is $2.99, they also have a $4.99 iPad version and a $3.99 "Tapatalk 2". Unless something goes on sale, Forum Runner is the more economical solution.
Old 03-25-13, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
And selfishly; if you give avatars to everyone, you better give something really awesome to us premium supporters; as the avatars were pretty much the only real perk for our cash.
They should refund back to the people who recently signed up for another year and do away with that premium thing entirely. There aren't very many people here that even continue to pay for it. I did it for a few years, but just couldn't get myself to do it again.

I also agree with the rebranding of the site entirely. HDTalk as an official change would be fine since with that name it could cover future "versions" of HD as well since it isn't specific like DVD or Blu-ray.
Old 03-25-13, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,074 Likes on 650 Posts

Allow a one-time name change for long time members. As you can see, I chose my name at the dawn of the website/DVD beginnings and now I despise it . I don't see how it could hurt to allow a one time name change for people like myself.

I know...it doesn't really help Dvdtalk but it would sure make me want to be more involved.
Old 03-25-13, 10:19 PM

y u no luv dvd anymore, brian?
Old 03-25-13, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I agree the site needs an updated name change. I appreciate the willingness for an open communication about the future of our site because this is really the only site I visit that I really participate in.

Thanks Paul.
Old 03-26-13, 12:04 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
I agree with this. It's also confusing seeing a tiny number of folks with no top hat, no admin/mod title, yet still have avatars. I assume it's because they're "special," but just open it up to everyone.

Originally Posted by IBobi
I can't wait!

Originally Posted by Trevor
While I agree... I also agree with:
Originally Posted by Brent L
They should refund back to the people who recently signed up for another year and do away with that premium thing entirely. There aren't very many people here that even continue to pay for it. I did it for a few years, but just couldn't get myself to do it again.
I was a premium member for 2 or 3 years... I don't remember... but all the other "perks" were just filler. Refund those who are still in the club, and give avatars to the masses, please.

Originally Posted by fumanstan
b2net has a good idea, I think. HDTalk points back to DVDTalk, maybe some sort of movement or branding towards that would attract new people. Of course, there's also Video Game Talk but I barely noticed that site existed, and i'm a big gamer. Redesigning that site and relaunching it might be fun.
Yup, hdtalk.com points here. It actually surprises me that nothing was ever done with hdtalk.com considering HD (in all forms) is a far more diverse subject. I'd join hdtalk.com if it had avatars.

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
Allow a one-time name change for long time members. As you can see, I chose my name at the dawn of the website/DVD beginnings and now I despise it . I don't see how it could hurt to allow a one time name change for people like myself.
I second this one as well. Even if it means the person gets a permanent "formerly known as ______" moniker under their avatar. There's zero harm in letting a single name-change, especially after years of service-- err... patronage. The only roadblock is that this type of thing might require some very specific programming/coding to work if you wanted to put it in the User CP. Otherwise, a "name change request" sub-forum within the Feedback forum would work as well.

Those were all things I was going to mention.
Old 03-26-13, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Yep, allow avatars. I can't think of another forum that doesn't have them in some form. Switching the main name to HDTalk or BDTalk probably will extend the utility of the forum. If you really wanted to be on the cutting edge, StreamingTalk is going to be the next big thing.
Old 03-26-13, 03:22 AM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Switching the main name to HDTalk or BDTalk probably will extend the utility of the forum. If you really wanted to be on the cutting edge, StreamingTalk is going to be the next big thing.
Nice try, domain owner of streamingtalk.com.
Old 03-26-13, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Why do people want avatars so much? I don't really care that people want them, I'm just curious.
Old 03-26-13, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Tracer Bullet
Why do people want avatars so much? I don't really care that people want them, I'm just curious.
It does make it easier to identify posters if you're scrolling quickly through a thread. I don't know if that's the #1 reason for anybody, but it's a nicety.
Old 03-26-13, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
It does make it easier to identify posters if you're scrolling quickly through a thread. I don't know if that's the #1 reason for anybody, but it's a nicety.
That is the main reason I want them. We don't need huge avatars, or even animated avatars (well, a little movement is fine like what Scott has I believe). Besides, having no avatars of any sort is just one of the other things that makes this place look, well, so far below other boards out there.
Old 03-26-13, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Brent L
That is the main reason I want them. We don't need huge avatars, or even animated avatars (well, a little movement is fine like what Scott has I believe). Besides, having no avatars of any sort is just one of the other things that makes this place look, well, so far below other boards out there.
Makes sense.
Old 03-26-13, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.