Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

How do we improve DVDTalk?

Old 03-31-13, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: How do we improve DVDTalk?

Originally Posted by b2net View Post
Just had a thought ... and might get rotten fruit thrown at me for suggesting.. but an attraction to premium membership.. may be the collector software...... as an incentive.

and I must re-iterate... hdtalk.com needs to be an alias not a re-direct..
When the option of becoming a premium member first was introduced, that would have been a great opportunity to charge people and give us the collection tracker. Now, why would I pay if Blu-ray.com provide this service for free? This is from someone that actually pay for couple of years to be a "premium" member.
Old 03-31-13, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
When the option of becoming a premium member first was introduced, that would have been a great opportunity to charge people and give us the collection tracker. Now, why would I pay if Blu-ray.com provide this service for free? This is from someone that actually pay for couple of years to be a "premium" member.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that was mentioned as a possibility when premium memberships were first discussed. When it never surfaced again is when I decided not to renew my membership.
Old 03-31-13, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
If I'm not mistaken, I believe that was mentioned as a possibility when premium memberships were first discussed. When it never surfaced again is when I decided not to renew my membership.
You are right. That was the reason why I paid the first couple of years but similar to your case, I grew tired and didn't renew when it seemed that they weren't going to do anything about it.
Old 03-31-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, I wasn't trying to take away a free feature, I was thinking on what would make premium memberships more attractive.....
Old 03-31-13, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I say dump the premium memberships. Drive traffic to the site with new, free features and make your money on the ads. Very little you could provide that isn't available elsewhere for free.
Old 03-31-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even though I don't use them, most forums these days have buttons on each post for Facebook/Twitter/etc. The Millennials show little interest in forums they can't immediately post on a social network.
Old 03-31-13, 04:56 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

A fresher look on the front page, with less text and less clutter. I like the look of www.gizmodo.com

Dead links removed or updated

Improved search

More moderation in Politics. There is way too much trash talk there, usually by the same members.
Old 03-31-13, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't believe they have links on the very front page that leads directly to XXX material. How family friendly. We can't even post pictures of women wearing a revealing dress, but that is just fine and dandy.

Unless the overlords here at the site can come up with something totally groundbreaking for the premium section, they should just ditch the entire thing and refund everyone who paid this past December for this year. Anyone holding their breath for anything original, that isn't offered for free at other sites, is wasting their time. It isn't going to happen. It wouldn't shock me to see them add new features now that so many people are asking for it openly once again, but nothing new and original will be created. We've been waiting for something for six years now and the only advancements have been when they have gone backwards instead of forward.

They should first totally scrap the premium program and focus on just catching up with everyone else for the time being, hope that helps activity and keeps the site alive, an THEN focus on trying to come up with an all new premium section if they are just hellbent on holding features back to make more money off of us.
Old 03-31-13, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by auto View Post
I say dump the premium memberships. Drive traffic to the site with new, free features and make your money on the ads. Very little you could provide that isn't available elsewhere for free.
This. I've never understood why anyone contributed in the first place.
Old 03-31-13, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It would be nice if the forum wouldn't log me out and mark every thread as read if I let it sit idle for 5-10 minutes. Log me out, fine, but don't mark all of the threads as read.
Old 03-31-13, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase View Post
This. I've never understood why anyone contributed in the first place.
I contributed because I thought that I could help the community. After two years, I wasn't feeling like there was a community anymore, so I stopped.
Old 03-31-13, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by argh923 View Post
As someone who's had their name changed, I think that it should definitely be on a case-by-case basis, but that the admins - some much more than others - should be a little more understanding and flexible about reasons. Mine was changed as a result of a divorce, and one admin completely dismissed me and was pretty much insulting in the process. I think there are definitely legitimate reasons for a name change, and that features such as the "formerly known as" tag - which I've left up, despite the time period I was instructed to do so having expired - help mitigate that confusion.
I never even noticed that you'd changed your name. Visually, it's very similar.
Old 04-01-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I feel a little better since I am seeing others mention how the admins treated them here when requesting a name change. The couple that I talked to keep passing the buck to a certain admin who, once finally reached, was a dick about my request.

I understand everyone not being able to change their name on a whim but once in a blue moon with a legitimate reason, what's the big deal? It's a two second fix. I ran one of the forums that used this exact same software for a few years and a name change takes literally seconds to do.

I am fine with keeping the "formerly tag" for a set period of time but since I wanted to change my user name to my Xbox Live name (which most people here refer to me as anyway), I didn't think of it as any big deal. When I chose the name "brianluvdvd" I had no idea that #1: I would be here for 14 years and counting and #2: This was the first forum I ever joined on the internet. I was more of a lurker on websites and never really posted anywhere. I didn't know any better. If I had, I wouldn't have used my real name in the moniker and I wouldn't have picked such a lame one. I thought this was just a passing fancy.

Now I am stuck with a name I hate and I was told that if I dumped this account and started over with a new name, I would be banned from the website. How's that for keeping people around? Guess I am a glutton for punishment as I have still stuck around but I just don't post as much as I used to.

IBobi, what is the big deal about a two second name change for a long time member?
Old 04-01-13, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You are a pretty darn good example of someone who has every right to a name change if you ask me. I know just what you mean, it literally isn't any work for anyone at all. Just log into admin tools, or whatever it's called here, and it is as simple as typing a few letters on a keyboard. It could have been done quicker than it took me to type up this post.
Old 04-01-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What if brianluvbluray was already taken?
Old 04-01-13, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I had always assumed that Brian was an alias, and he was interested in changing to bobluvdvd.
Old 04-01-13, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
What if brianluvbluray was already taken?
You hate me, don't you?
Old 04-01-13, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm stuck with a name I hate too, but since it's my ACTUAL name, I've just been blaming my parents.
Old 04-01-13, 02:34 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

The obvious solution is to change Brian's XboxLive name to brianluvxbox. I'll even donate the points for the change buddy!
Old 04-01-13, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

On that note, I wish moderator/administrator interaction on topics like suspensions, bans, thread closures, and requests like name changes were more open. Maybe not so much lately, but for a "feedback" forum a lot of discussion would just get closed with a "because we said so" without any chance at explanation, and sometimes with a rude response. I can see how things like that aren't very encouraging for users here.
Old 04-01-13, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Lot of X hate in here.

You'd be grumpy too if you dealt with us assholes for the last 25 years.
Old 04-01-13, 05:59 PM
Administrator

I want to thank everyone for their constructive contributions here. We're already moving on some of this, and we have plenty to work on.

I'll close the thread. Look for positive changes!

Paul