Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Mobile version

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-12, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mobile version

Forgive me if this has been discussed, but is there a mobile version of dvdtalk? I'd like to read on my android phone.
Old 07-19-12, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Mobile version

/\ Why not visit on your browser? That's what I do on my Android.
Old 07-19-12, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've done that a couple of times, but it's a pain in the ass resizing and scrolling sideways.
Old 07-19-12, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I believe this has been requested for years, but the sticking point was that a mobile version wouldn't serve up as many ads.
Old 07-25-12, 03:54 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why not a phone app where there are pop ups once and a while?
Old 08-13-12, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

This was the previous discussion. Wow, I didn't realize it'd been over a year since we stopped flogging that horse.

Is there a mobile version of this forum?
Old 08-21-12, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Also touched on here:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedb...e-support.html

So a thread from 2008 and 2009.
Old 08-22-12, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's never going to happen.
Old 08-22-12, 01:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

going to this site on my phone while taking a crap would be much easier if this site had a mobile version. It's a bitch to work the site on a Blackberry...granted..maybe I could get another phone..but..no.
Old 08-22-12, 01:11 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I'm scared. I saw the above post in my email and knew who posted it without looking.
Old 08-23-12, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
going to this site on my phone while taking a crap would be much easier if this site had a mobile version. It's a bitch to work the site on a Blackberry...granted..maybe I could get another phone..but..no.
Blackberries are so yesterday but if it helps to go to the bathroom...............

Old 03-05-13, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to bump this up instead of creating a new thread for it. I know, this topic is indeed like beating a dead horse, but something truly needs to be done. The last official word I can remember was that you guys were not going to add the Tapatalk app so we could use that, but were instead trying to create an alternative option, possibly an actual DVDTalk app itself. Time has gone by, and it has now been many years since first requested, but nothing has been done about it to this day. Yes, you can view it in a browser, but that isn't remotely close to the mobile type of option that everyone wants.

I love this board, I've been coming here for ten years or so now (once I post this I'll know for sure) and that's not going to change, but I feel like a lack of a proper mobile option is slowly chipping away at the activity here on the site since there are more and more people using message boards on mobile devices, and especially using the Tapatalk app.

I wont name names, anyone reading this will know what I'm talking about anyway, but there is another movie/Blu-ray board that has gained a ton of steam over the past year or two and I attribute at least part of that to the ease and convenience of being able to access that other board on Tapatalk. You can even take pictures and post them directly to threads using the app itself. It is a fantastic experience using that app to access that other board, and the tons of other boards that have got on board with it as well. There have been quite a few people under the same name that have become far more active on the other site, and who knows how many more there have been that signed up under totally new names.

I just wanted to toss this out there once again. I've seen it time and time again where certain groups wanted to be stubborn about things and keep denying what should be seen as obvious must have upgrades, only for it to bit them in the ass and then allow others to totally bypass them and then just fade away. I am not saying something like this would cause that sort of thing, but I certainly don't want to see that happen.

Give it a look once again, rethink it, and I think you'll see just how happy it would make a ton of people. I'm not going to post over and over about this, I know it's been talked about in the past, but I wanted to bring it up just once more, especially after noticing all that I have noticed over the last year or so, and especially here lately. Thanks.
Old 03-07-13, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Brent L
I'm going to bump this up instead of creating a new thread for it. I know, this topic is indeed like beating a dead horse, but something truly needs to be done. The last official word I can remember was that you guys were not going to add the Tapatalk app so we could use that, but were instead trying to create an alternative option, possibly an actual DVDTalk app itself. Time has gone by, and it has now been many years since first requested, but nothing has been done about it to this day. Yes, you can view it in a browser, but that isn't remotely close to the mobile type of option that everyone wants.

I love this board, I've been coming here for ten years or so now (once I post this I'll know for sure) and that's not going to change, but I feel like a lack of a proper mobile option is slowly chipping away at the activity here on the site since there are more and more people using message boards on mobile devices, and especially using the Tapatalk app.

I wont name names, anyone reading this will know what I'm talking about anyway, but there is another movie/Blu-ray board that has gained a ton of steam over the past year or two and I attribute at least part of that to the ease and convenience of being able to access that other board on Tapatalk. You can even take pictures and post them directly to threads using the app itself. It is a fantastic experience using that app to access that other board, and the tons of other boards that have got on board with it as well. There have been quite a few people under the same name that have become far more active on the other site, and who knows how many more there have been that signed up under totally new names.

I just wanted to toss this out there once again. I've seen it time and time again where certain groups wanted to be stubborn about things and keep denying what should be seen as obvious must have upgrades, only for it to bit them in the ass and then allow others to totally bypass them and then just fade away. I am not saying something like this would cause that sort of thing, but I certainly don't want to see that happen.

Give it a look once again, rethink it, and I think you'll see just how happy it would make a ton of people. I'm not going to post over and over about this, I know it's been talked about in the past, but I wanted to bring it up just once more, especially after noticing all that I have noticed over the last year or so, and especially here lately. Thanks.
Old 03-07-13, 10:32 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

Well said. I'm finding myself using this site less often and sites with mobile apps more often.
Old 03-07-13, 10:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

This issue is the sole reason I don't have a top hat any more.
Old 03-07-13, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
This issue is the sole reason I don't have a top hat any more.
Ditto that.

Brent L
Old 03-07-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, this is one of the main reasons I did not allow for my "premium" subscription to renew. I was hanging in there, supporting the site in that way, holding onto hope that something would actually be done. In the end I just kept feeling more and more like I was being ripped off by stubborn corporate stubbornness and we were all just being strung along. Add into that how I think it is ridiculous that we had to pay for the "privilege" to have something as simple as a small avatar, and that was just it for me.

Yeah, the entire avatar thing...also on the other board, for free.

Whoever the faceless IB identity in charge is, you need to realize this is only gonna get worse. It'll just be a natural decline, over time, as has already begun to take place. Sure, viewing it on the browser allows us to view most of the same content as an app like Tapatalk, but it's a vastly inferior experience. It's like a movie studio continuing to release material to VHS or DVD only instead of finally jumping on board with Blu-ray. It reminds me of the idiocy of situations like when Kodak refused to jump on board with the digital camera and everyone else left them in the dust all alone. I know, hyperbole and all that, but still, there is a point to be realized here.

Don't let that happen to DVDTalk, please. All you have to do is glance at the various boards here to realize that something is wrong and things are declining. It isn't just me.

I'm just glad that at least a few other people agree with me.
Old 03-19-13, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I am glad this issue has been responded to in a timely fashion.
Old 03-21-13, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I believe they said they couldn't control ads in Tapatalk or something. They couldn't monetize it. Maybe that's true but I'm thinking there is some way to monetize it or no sites would use it.

And for the record, I would NEVER read this site via browser on my iPhone 5 unless I needed to for some reason.
Old 03-21-13, 10:14 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

At the very least, some transparency on this and other issues would be if not helpful actually respectful, IB.
Old 03-21-13, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, it's all about money, they wont add Tapatalk because they can't make any money off of people while they are out and about wanting to view the site. I used to read the site via the browser on my iPhone every now and then while out in a store or something until I discovered Tapatalk and how freakin' easy and fantastic it is to view other boards, such as the Blu-ray.com forums (there I said it) when to compared to the awful experience of DVDTalk on mobile. Never again, those days are over, if I need to view a site like this on mobile it'll be a site on Tapatalk.

If they actually cared about keeping the site financially viable and flat out alive then they would get on board. The activity here seems to drop more and more every day, especially in the categories that the site is built on (home releases of all sorts, bargains, etc...). They better do something to keep that trend from continuing. As silly as it may sound, I still consider this site my home base. I certainly don't want to see it go downhill as more and more people seek out a better, and far more user friendly, options.

Forget about when I bumped this thread, but they haven't even responded to this thread since it was originally started back in July of last year. I'm sure it worked out great for Geoff when he sold DVDTalk to IB back in late 2007, and I don't blame him a single bit for doing so. I likely would have done the same. It sure screwed things up here though, in a ton of different ways. It has been a slow downhill decline ever since then and this issue isn't helping things a single bit.

To you guys officially at IB, at least respond to us and say once again you aren't going to do anything about it since you don't think it would benefit you financially. At least it would be a response of some sort. At least show us that much respect for being members of this site for so long.
Old 03-21-13, 01:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the deal guys, and thanks for being patient. I know we've given one or another answer over the last few years.

Tapatalk: is not going to happen. Same reasons as before.

Other solutions: We're talking (meaning me, my boss Brent, and our project manager Mike) about three possible solutions, one of which involves upgrading the site's VB software to a new version. If that one gets selected, it'll be a bit more involved to make mobile happen. The others are somewhat less dev-intensive.

All the solutions are suboptimal next to using the full site on a mobile browser, but we definitely appreciate the desire to have an easy browsing-and-posting "tapatalk-like" experience.

I'll get you a final answer as soon as I can. But I assure you we're ruminating and exploring the technical implications actively.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions/concerns, and thanks again. Feel free to PM me or email me at paul(dot)obrien(at)internetbrands(dotcom).

Paul O'Brien
Community Manager
Old 03-21-13, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Throw my vote in the hat that a mobile version would be a great improvement. I am not a member of other boards and would hate to see this site decline any more than it has thus far or shut down. I have noticed a sharp decline in traffic & use. Hopong for a goodsolution to make the mobile experience better & drive appropriate traffic to this site.
Old 03-21-13, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by IBobi
Here's the deal guys, and thanks for being patient. I know we've given one or another answer over the last few years.

Tapatalk: is not going to happen. Same reasons as before.

Other solutions: We're talking (meaning me, my boss Brent, and our project manager Mike) about three possible solutions, one of which involves upgrading the site's VB software to a new version. If that one gets selected, it'll be a bit more involved to make mobile happen. The others are somewhat less dev-intensive.

All the solutions are suboptimal next to using the full site on a mobile browser, but we definitely appreciate the desire to have an easy browsing-and-posting "tapatalk-like" experience.

I'll get you a final answer as soon as I can. But I assure you we're ruminating and exploring the technical implications actively.

Please let me know if you have any specific questions/concerns, and thanks again. Feel free to PM me or email me at paul(dot)obrien(at)internetbrands(dotcom).

Paul O'Brien
Community Manager
What a shitty answer. The other thread was started almost 4 years ago. Go ahead and spend another 4 years talking about possible solutions. The problem will solve itself when everyone is gone. So glad I gave up the premium subscription.
Old 03-21-13, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by chrisih8u
What a shitty answer. The other thread was started almost 4 years ago. Go ahead and spend another 4 years talking about possible solutions. The problem will solve itself when everyone is gone. So glad I gave up the premium subscription.
Yeah, tell me about it. This was first requested just two months after IB bought the site, going on six years now. The last time they even responded to this was two years ago, and THAT reply was just IBobi quoting IB-Dick's initial reply to the requests one year prior to that.

Wait, IBobi replied once more a few days later after they quoted the year old reply from IB-Dick. Here it is, from 6/7/11:

Originally Posted by IBobi
Hi John,

I assure you, if there were an easy solution to the mobile issue, we'd be doing it; there's nothing preventing us from deciding to implement mobile solutions here -- it's a resource issue and not at all as simple as flipping a switch. The site would need to be upgraded to a newer version of VB, which means migrating data and user accounts and verifying everything and... that takes time and dev resources that are not available at this time.

I know this is frustrating to hear. But it's where we are. For now, the mobile solution is to view the full site on your mobile device's browser.

Best,

Paul
It's all just excuses. This isn't rocket science. There are only two reasons it would take SIX years - one, they haven't figured out how to milk us all financially from it (such as with ads and that sort of thing) or two, they are just putting it off with excuses because they don't actually have anything planned.

Here is the thread...

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/forum-feedb...ion-forum.html

Even if they were to come up with something like NEOGaf wouldn't be enough now. It may have been fine had they done a proper mobile site that automatically came up when you went to it in the browser had they done so in 2007, but that wont cut it now. Tapatalk, and other such things, have been on the market now to show people just how great of an experience it can be when truly done properly. Even just a basic mobile site wouldn't be enough (although, yes, it would be better than nothing). They may have already fallen too far behind to even make up for it at this point. If you don't stay on top of the game when it comes to this sort of thing other sources will leave you in the dust. DVDTalk has a ton of catching up to do since they are now six years behind the times.

Blah, this just sucks, I don't want to talk bad about the site but we all know that it hasn't been the same for years. It isn't even the same now as it was when IB first took over in 2007. It was a decline on day one, but the real decline didn't really start until a year or two ago. That is when I first noticed the traffic here dipping in a big way, and the traffic at the sites that are actually moving forward really started to gain steam.

The only part of DVDTalk that hasn't taken at least a huge hit is Other, but that is by the power of the Otters and nothing IB has done.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.