Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

How Many DVD's Do You Own: Annoying As Hell Version

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

How Many DVD's Do You Own: Annoying As Hell Version

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Re: How Many DVD's Do You Own: Annoying As Hell Version

Originally Posted by TomOpus
I'd agree to a sub-forum.
Ditto.
Old 02-19-09, 10:11 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
What it comes down to is that people don't know how to simply not post to a thread they've read. If you don't want them to keep getting bumped then quit posting to the threads about how much you hate them. After the handful of members who do enjoy participating have done so, they'll quietly drift into the ether.
That's pretty much it.
Old 02-20-09, 07:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A sub-forum sounds like the best idea to me, as well. Too many good threads are bumped to the second page with the addition of these kinds of threads. I always look at these posts as a way for some people to get their post counts up. I may not post a lot, but I check out the site daily at the least, and sometimes more.

--John
Old 02-20-09, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

These would happen all the time on the DVDSpot forum. I just figured these were all people who migrated from there after it closed. They never really bothered me. If I figure It'll bother me I just skip past it.
Old 02-20-09, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
These would happen all the time on the DVDSpot forum. I just figured these were all people who migrated from there after it closed. They never really bothered me. If I figure It'll bother me I just skip past it.
The part about it that never really bothered me there was the organization. There were 3 separate threads that would be updated daily. One for current stars, one for classic stars and one for directors. If I remember right, they were stickied so they wouldn't bump other stuff from the page. If there was just one thread dedicated to this stuff with a single person updating daily, it wouldn't be so bad.
Old 02-21-09, 12:23 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

This forum does not have "ignore thread" option?
Old 02-21-09, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Seriously. This board does seem to be a bit cluttered. But I would say that it is cluttered with posts by older members complaining about the newer members posts.
Here's a tip, if you are not interested in a thread, don't click on it. It is as simple as that. What clutters up the thread are the incessant "repost" posts, or the "clever" smiley only post, or some other witty retort that extends these inane threads. If you have a problem with a thread, report it. Its that simple. If you have a problem with a certain poster, put them on ignore.

But for the love of god, stop whining about it. Alot of us are sick of hearing about in multiple threads.
Old 02-21-09, 12:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjcool

But for the love of god, stop whining about it. Alot of us are sick of hearing about in multiple threads.
Well, follow your own advice then. Stop complaining about the whiners and put them on ignore. A lot of us are sick of you complaining because someone else has a different opinion than yours.
Old 02-21-09, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dx23
Well, follow your own advice then. Stop complaining about the whiners and put them on ignore. A lot of us are sick of you complaining because someone else has a different opinion than yours.
And you are one of the worst offenders. Stop acting like a little child.
Old 02-21-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

The Pacino and De Niro threads were not that bad but Miley Cyrus was taking it to a new level.
Old 02-21-09, 06:51 PM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Let's stop sniping at each other while we try to decide on a reasonable solution.
Old 02-21-09, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts

* I skip/manually ignore any thread that doesn't have a title i'm interested in.
* I'm almost more bothered by threads that have titles altered to be "funny", especially crudely, by mods. I guess it's a prerogative, but it's juvenile. (I'm not sure if this is still happening like it used to.)
* "Unwritten rules" are bullcrap, at least from a mod sanction point of view. Document it, or ignore offenses. Enforcing unwritten rules leads to more of the "us versus them", "we're the cool people, you're not" type mentality which DVDTalk has usually not been a part of.
Old 02-22-09, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i don't like them personally so i don't post in them. they tend to bury legitimate useful threads several pages back. i wish there was a special sub-forum for them somewhere so the people that like them can continue to generate them and the people that don't wouldn't have to see them.
Old 02-22-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by dtcarson
* "Unwritten rules" are bullcrap, at least from a mod sanction point of view. Document it, or ignore offenses. Enforcing unwritten rules leads to more of the "us versus them", "we're the cool people, you're not" type mentality which DVDTalk has usually not been a part of.
I agree with the above. I think it's obvious that there has to be a sticky thread that documents the "rule" or "etiquette" instead of expecting the new members to know this as soon as they join.
Old 02-22-09, 04:07 PM
Banned

This is exactly why we need posting rules and etiquette:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...-coupon-2.html

I wasn't involved at all in the thread, but the complains are just the same.
Old 02-22-09, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dtcarson
* I skip/manually ignore any thread that doesn't have a title i'm interested in.
* I'm almost more bothered by threads that have titles altered to be "funny", especially crudely, by mods. I guess it's a prerogative, but it's juvenile. (I'm not sure if this is still happening like it used to.)
Unfortunately not everyone on the board seems to be capable of the same restraint that you are.

I especially agree with your third point about "unwritten rules". I would amend it to add that the moderating should be left up to the moderators.
Old 02-22-09, 06:31 PM
Banned

More misleading titles by a newbie:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...s-blu-ray.html

The problem here:
I'm interested in 30% off DVD and BDs
I have a Best Buy close to my house

So I can't get pissed that the OP put a misleading thread title? According to many here, I can't tell the OP that what he did is wrong? Then he can continue to do this over and over and have no repercussion? More reasons to why rules need to be written.
Old 02-22-09, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

More misleading titles by a newbie:

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...s-blu-ray.html

The problem here:
I'm interested in 30% off DVD and BDs
I have a Best Buy close to my house

So I can't get pissed that the OP put a misleading thread title? According to many here, I can't tell the OP that what he did is wrong? Then he can continue to do this over and over and have no repercussion? More reasons to why rules need to be written.
Are there no bluerays on sale at best buy as the title states?
The point here, is to let the mods do their jobs. Its not your job. Report the post and move on.
Old 02-22-09, 08:12 PM
Banned

Are there no bluerays on sale at best buy as the title states?
The point here, is to let the mods do their jobs. Its not your job. Report the post and move on.
No, there aren't. And you are just being an ass, just contradicting me for the hell of it instead of using any reasoning, but I should expect that from you, since judging by your other posts, you don't seem to have any intelligence at all.
Old 02-22-09, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No, there aren't. And you are just being an ass, just contradicting me for the hell of it instead of using any reasoning, but I should expect that from you, since judging by your other posts, you don't seem to have any intelligence at all.
Wow, that wasnt surprising at all. So you are saying that there are no blue rays on sale at the link the op in the thread you posted?
If thats the case, you are not only a whiny child but a liar, because a simple click on the link reveals that there are in fact many blue rays on sale.
I dont see why youre throwing a fit on this one. You just need to grow up.
Old 02-22-09, 08:39 PM
Banned

Wow, that wasnt surprising at all. So you are saying that there are no blue rays on sale at the link the op in the thread you posted?
If thats the case, you are not only a whiny child but a liar, because a simple click on the link reveals that there are in fact many blue rays on sale.
I dont see why youre throwing a fit on this one. You just need to grow up.
You proved again your incredible wit and intelligence with that post. You must be a Mensa member.