Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

We need a Blu-Ray Bargains forum

Old 06-04-09, 08:14 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Re: We need a Blu-Ray Bargains forum

I think there are enough bargains to justify a sub-forum (110 BDs for less than $900), but I'd prefer to keep things as they are.

I think that the HD bargain thread gets bumped with pretty much every significant bargain, and that the threads/posts in the DVD Bargain section are marked well for the most part. More clutter/sub-forums aren't needed.

I'm shocked that so many people claim to be BD only. How can one limit themselves so? Most of the good movies aren't even out on BD.
Old 06-04-09, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
I'm shocked that so many people claim to be BD only. How can one limit themselves so? Most of the good movies aren't even out on BD.
I can only speak for myself, but I only have so much time to watch movies, and there's enough coming out on Blu-ray that I have a hard time keeping up with that, let alone tossing DVD into the equation. Admittedly, a lot of that's from reviewing titles I wouldn't have bought normally, so I might feel differently without that hobby... I also have a decade of devouring DVDs under my belt and a lifetime of watching movies before that, and I've caught quite a bit of the best over that time too.

I buy DVDs every once in a while, and I do watch a few from time to time, but the overwhelming majority of what I watch and buy are on Blu-ray.
Old 06-04-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I say NO to a Blu Ray bargains forums because that Jamers guy has almost no posts, and it appears to get under Pro B's skin.

That's reason enough to not have one.
Old 06-04-09, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse View Post
I say NO to a Blu Ray bargains forums because that Jamers guy has almost no posts, and it appears to get under Pro B's skin.

That's reason enough to not have one.
Pro-B does not really post here anymore since too many people were mean about Blu-ray and feels we are not mature posters and left. He now pretty much posts exclusively on Blu-ray.com.
Old 06-04-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Snowmaker View Post
There is a HD Bargains thread pinned at the top of the HD forum. Is that not good enough?
Yeah, but things got lost in there really, really fast.

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
I can only speak for myself, but I only have so much time to watch movies, and there's enough coming out on Blu-ray that I have a hard time keeping up with that, let alone tossing DVD into the equation. Admittedly, a lot of that's from reviewing titles I wouldn't have bought normally, so I might feel differently without that hobby... I also have a decade of devouring DVDs under my belt and a lifetime of watching movies before that, and I've caught quite a bit of the best over that time too.

I buy DVDs every once in a while, and I do watch a few from time to time, but the overwhelming majority of what I watch and buy are on Blu-ray.
I rarely buy DVDs now unless they are ones that got skipped over on Blu or a TV Show. So its maybe 1-3 a month.
Old 06-04-09, 03:47 PM

Can a thread be pinned in two different sub-forums?

Perhaps the HD Bargain Thread can be stickied at the top of both HD Talk and Bargains.
Old 06-04-09, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I really cant tell what a good deal is on a blue-ray. The pricing is all over the place.
Old 06-07-09, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD View Post
Pro-B does not really post here anymore since too many people were mean about Blu-ray and feels we are not mature posters and left. He now pretty much posts exclusively on Blu-ray.com.
A good friend forwarded your note to me. So...

I would like to kindly suggest that you stick to spreading misinformation in regard to Blu-ray only. This being said, I am perfectly capable of clarifying why I do not post here anymore - which is not because I feel that we=DVDTALK is immature, but because there are a few well known members who are indeed immature and incapable of being part of the type of community the site promoted for a number of years.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 06-08-09 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-08-09, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't moved on yet. Can we get a VHS Bargain Thread?
Old 06-08-09, 09:28 AM
Mod Emeritus

Just popping in to:

a) inform DVDTalkers that I've flagged the issue with other mods in case there is a strong feeling that change is desirable at this time;
b) suggest that, for the time being, Blu-Ray specific posts, are marked as such in the subject line for the assistance of interested parties;
c) ask that DVDtalkers avoid baiting other members whether or not said members continue regularly to post here. Newer members seeing negative contributions inevitably will begin to mimic them and then a cycle of suspensions and bannings ensues. Something to be avoided, methinks.
Old 06-08-09, 09:36 AM

Benedict,

How about my idea/question on having the HD Bargain thread pinned in both forums?
Old 06-10-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just read the Mod post...so removed.

Edit: Why not require people to list BLU-RAY - in the thread title? If its uniformed it would look good in DVD Bargains.

Example:

BLU-RAY: Firefly $39.99 on Amazon
BLU-RAY: 3 Pack $39.99 at Target

Last edited by Gizmo; 06-10-09 at 03:06 PM.
Old 06-10-09, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
This being said, I am perfectly capable of clarifying why I do not post here anymore - which is not because I feel that we=DVDTALK is immature, but because there are a few well known members who are indeed immature and incapable of being part of the type of community the site promoted for a number of years.

Pro-B
But you will post on Blu-ray.com? I signed up and posted for a while on that site, but man, talk about some immature posters. Just couldn't take it after awhile.

And for the record, I actually like reading your posts.
Old 06-11-09, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Blu-ray please!!!
Old 06-11-09, 03:31 AM
Mod Emeritus

Benedict,

How about my idea/question on having the HD Bargain thread pinned in both forums?
I think pilot is now looking into doing this.

With regard to the Blu Ray subject title idea, people reading here could lead by example and hopefully it'd soon become de rigeur !
Old 07-17-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Any update to this? Lots of deals...
Old 07-24-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I vote for a blu-ray bargain forum.
Old 07-26-09, 01:43 AM

I'd like to see a blu-ray bargain forum too.
Old 07-26-09, 08:50 AM

Here's something that will make you people wanting a separate forum happy.

I've decided I'm totally against it. So you of the opposite opinion will probably get your way.

I think very few people are blu-ray only. If you are, you're missing out on 90% of the best movies that film has to offer, but I digress.

Let's just continue to specify in each thread title either "SD" or "BD".

And Pilot, did we figure out if the HD bargains thread can be pinned in both subforums? If not, I'm sure we could fairly easily do it ourselves. I'd volunteer to make sure stuff gets copied and pasted in each.
Old 07-26-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

JUST GIVE US THE SEPARATE FORUM! Make it a sub-forum in DVD Bargains. I'm sure there are even less people who are members in DVDClubs than there are who buy Blu Ray. If you guys think there are so many people who aren't blu, then I'm sure those people are pretty pissed our deal threads are cluttering their bargains forum. What would it hurt? Just do it already!
Old 07-26-09, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ I agree. In general, I dont care about Blu. If I see an exceptionally good deal, I will go for it (got a couple Disney movies and a season of Smallville, since they were cheaper than the DVDs). But as the number of people buying Blu increases, the Deals forum gets more confusing. People aren't being clear in their posts about what they're talking about. There's confusion right now in the Entourage Season 5 thread because one poster seems to have gotten an extra discount, and then others assumed it must have been a Blu-ray purchase instead of DVD, but the numbers don't add up there. I recently got confused (totally my fault, but some people are saying Blu-ray, some Blu, and some say BD or even BRD, so I missed the BD reference when someone was talking about buying BSG).

Basically, one of the aspects of the organization of a forum is the need to minimize potential confusion. Sorry, but if I'm interested in game deals, I have to read another forum. If I am interested in buying Laserdiscs, I have to read another forum. If I am interested in Blu-ray, well, it makes sense to read another forum. Blu-ray is not the same as DVD. They do not have the exact same set of consumers. There is no more overlap between DVD and Blu-ray customers than there is between DVD and X-Box 360 customers. Just because some people (or even many people) are buying the same two different kinds of things doesn't mean those different things should be lumped together in the same forum.

The existing forum is called "DVD Bargains." Blu-ray discs are not DVDs any more than UMDs for the PSP are.

Does this mean there should be NO cross-chatter? Of course not. I don't think anybody in their right mind complained that Speedy's old posts in the DVD Bargains thread included info about games, CDs, TVs, computers, etc.. If the DVD version and the Blu version of something are on sale, there's no reason not to mention both in the same post. If there's a thread about a DVD being on sale, and somebody replies in there saying the Blu is approximately the same price or even cheaper, then go for it. It's good information that makes us more informed shoppers. But right now, some of the attempts at informing are actually just being confusing.
Old 07-26-09, 05:35 PM
Banned

Here's something that will make you people wanting a separate forum happy.

I've decided I'm totally against it. So you of the opposite opinion will probably get your way.

I think very few people are blu-ray only. If you are, you're missing out on 90% of the best movies that film has to offer, but I digress.

Let's just continue to specify in each thread title either "SD" or "BD".

And Pilot, did we figure out if the HD bargains thread can be pinned in both subforums? If not, I'm sure we could fairly easily do it ourselves. I'd volunteer to make sure stuff gets copied and pasted in each.
Although specifying in a thread title would be the immediate best solution, the fact is that members here still have issues of doing the correct thing when posting something new. The forum has been here over 10 years and there are new members each day who don't put a simple question mark when creating a thread or just put an ambiguous title just for the hell of it. I really doubt that people are going to have the courtesy and specify if the deal is for SD or BD. The best solution is to create a subforum, which will probably generate more traffic than the Book, Anime, DVD clubs, Comic Book and even the Premium forum.
Old 07-26-09, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by dx23 View Post
The best solution is to create a subforum, which will probably generate more traffic than the Book, Anime, DVD clubs, Comic Book and especially the Premium forum.
Fixed.
Old 07-27-09, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IB will decide early this week on what we will do I believe.
Old 07-27-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'll buy IB Dick a beer.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.