Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Yes - It's a New Logo

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Yes - It's a New Logo

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-02, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by William Fuld
DVD Talk hats are sooo earlier this week. All the cool kids are wearing Cinema Gotham hats and barbeque aprons.
Old 11-21-02, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll get used to it.
Old 11-21-02, 01:43 PM

I like the colors since it matches the banner across the top of the page (blue and yellow), but the logo itself is kind of odd. Someone said it here earlier and I agree with them that the main problem is changing font size. The 'DVD' is too large and completely overwhelms the 'talk'!

Also, others have been asking for a site overhaul. Don't do it if it involves overhauling the forums, Geoff! The way the forums currently operates is clean, simple, and elegant.
Old 11-21-02, 01:54 PM
Registered

A side note, I actually did a redesign of DVD Talk earlier last week, very very subtle changes (like adding the video game reviews to the front page on the right side and reordering the right hand column for easy access to important links)

I am very happy with the overall design of DVD Talk and the forums so I don't have any plans to change that any time soon.
Old 11-21-02, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by gkleinman
I am very happy with the overall design of DVD Talk and the forums so I don't have any plans to change that any time soon.
You go, girl... I mean, Geoff. Yeah, the site is pretty clean considering the amount of advertising it needs to show. I wouldn't go messing with it too much either. Of the forum-type sites I'm aquainted with I think it's the easiest to figure out visually (aome of them are insanely laid-out). Sure, Gamespot's redesign is very slick but it can be a bit confusing at times. I say leave well enough alone. And while the new logo may break some design school rules, who cares. It does the trick.
Old 11-21-02, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Barings
The 'DVD' is too large and completely overwhelms the 'talk'!
Perhaps a subtle message to Other/Mature/Sports?

Old 11-21-02, 04:26 PM

Thanx for all the kind words from everyone who likes and hates the new logo. I personally would have gone a little different direction, but Geoff liked it.

And to the person who said my web site is equally bad - Thanx so much for the kind words!!! LOL 8)

- todd
Old 11-21-02, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah. Welcome to the maddness, Todd.
Old 11-21-02, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by realeyz
Thanx for all the kind words from everyone who likes and hates the new logo. I personally would have gone a little different direction, but Geoff liked it.

And to the person who said my web site is equally bad - Thanx so much for the kind words!!! LOL 8)

- todd
Add one more to the 'like it' list.
Old 11-21-02, 08:14 PM

Hi, I think the logo is too cartoony. But I'll learn to grow into it after seeing it so much. The thing that bothers me is that the "DVD talk" and the "forum" don't seem to match.

Sure they're the same colors and everything. But if you look at the "forum" it's a little embossed and raised....the "DVD talk" is just flat and looks too 2-D.....while the "forum" seems to pop out more. It might just be me, though....but that's my 2 cents.

good work though =)

-anthony
Old 11-21-02, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nup. Given it some time, but it still doesn't grab me.
Old 11-22-02, 05:33 PM

I like it! This is a fine hunk 'o logo! The more you gaze; the nicer it seems. The blue exhibits a kind of translucent quality. Nice.
Old 11-22-02, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The first thing that jumped out at me is the shading within the letters. Very disruptive to the eye to go from light to dark (in the first "D"), then back to light to dark ("V"), then back to light to dark ("D"). Makes it seem like a random collection of letters than a cohesive statement. It just looks strange.
I totally agree. If going with this logo... There is overlap suggested on the DVD letters but the incomplete borders seems incohesive. At the very least I would suggest that the black letter border extend the entire left edge of the "V", and the entire left edge of the second "D".

Like this:

The thing that bothers me is that the "DVD talk" and the "forum" don't seem to match.
Yes, too similar yet different.

I don't see a need for the graphic/word "forum". It's a given, and noted elsewhere including the page titles.

Last edited by reverb; 11-22-02 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-22-02, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That logo is very unprofessional...

I like the MSPaint one better
Old 11-22-02, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Its OK, I still say its way too big. Can't you make it smaller? Like half?
Old 11-22-02, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by gkleinman
A side note, I actually did a redesign of DVD Talk earlier last week, very very subtle changes (like adding the video game reviews to the front page on the right side and reordering the right hand column for easy access to important links)

Well, I was thinking of something a little more extensive than that. As you know Geoff, my colleagues and I specialize in developing functional, attractive and fun UI’s for all sorts of Web sites. Usability is always our primary concern (both in terms of look/feel and site flow/information architecture), followed by solid, scalable logo and graphic design.

I’m not trying to sell you a new site, just offering my professional opinion because I really love DVD Talk. For what it’s worth I think that it could have an amazing UI that really made it stand out among its competitors; one that reflects the community here and projects a strong, confident image. Could work wonders.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by Surf Monkey; 11-22-02 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-23-02, 12:17 AM

Picky, picky, picky!!

A fine logo. Don't change a thing, kids! Striking is the color shading!

Last edited by davidvp; 11-23-02 at 12:19 AM.
Old 11-23-02, 12:21 AM

Gee whiz.....

That logo is very unprofessional..
Well, why don't you enlighten the rest of the population with what would "officially" (under law) qualify as a "professional-looking" DVD Talk logo.
Old 11-23-02, 01:03 PM

I don't like this new logo, it has an AOL feeling

But I have seen the web site of realeyz, and there is a section where he shows the logos he made. They look MUCH better than this one. I understand why he doesn't add the DVD Talk logo to the ones he made...
Old 11-23-02, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I don't like it. It looks cartoonish. I support the idea of an open contest. The admins can narrow it down and then we can vote on the best
Old 11-24-02, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't care for the new logo. It looks very amateurish and doesn't fit in with the rest of the site. The word 'forum' looks particularly hideous.

Please consider having a professional designer take a crack at it. Or even a contest could be a good idea.

I didn't think the old logo was awesome or anything, but it was OK and at least wasn't garish and cheesy. Please take the oppurtunity to do it right this time.

Thanks.
Old 11-24-02, 08:27 AM

As mentioned before, perhaps the forum could've pursued a licensing agreement. I'd say have a sticky for donations to pay for a flat fee licensing agreement terminable at will of the tm assignees, for a nominal fee, after convincing the assignees that there's not a lot of money at this website.

Awwww, screw it let's just change the damn logo.

***above is not to be considered as legal advice but merely as superfluous posting***
Old 11-24-02, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Old 11-24-02, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

it's always going to be a love/hate relationship, no matter what logo you use. im not going to lose sleep over something i hardly look at. since it does not assault my eyes in a negative way, i'll stand by my first impression....i like it.
Old 11-25-02, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by gutwrencherdvds
im not going to lose sleep over something i hardly look at.
For the love of god Geoff, I haven't slept since the logo was changed. My anxiety level has sky rocketed. Night in and night out thinking over and over how I miss the old logo. Somehow, my life just doesn't seem complete anymore.

Those DVD logo guys were the Grinch that stole this who's Christmas.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.