Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Why was happy's thread closed?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Why was happy's thread closed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-02, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Seems like a thread that starts "This is my attention whore thread." is doomed to look to much like a substance-lacking thread, imho.

If someone has something of substance to start a thread about, I think they should go ahead. To start one because someone "may learn something about someone else" seems kind of pointless. Threads should be because someone has something interesting to say to others, not with the thought that something might be said of interest in the future in the thread.

But then again, I'm not exactly a mod...
Old 03-02-02, 01:00 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I would agree with the ask threads, But sometimes if they are on special events it would have substance. I figured the three of us (pimpy, me and Hotaru) being in the same place, that it would be of some interest to everyone. but yeah, I can see how the typical "ask___" threads can get a bit on the heavy side.
The mods had quite a discussion about that one and it was about 50/50 that it was more of a general interest thread than the typical "Ask ..." one. Then Dead broke the tie and closed it without having seen the discussion. And we agreed.

Don't think these closings are done capriciously.
Old 03-02-02, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would agree with the ask threads, But sometimes if they are on special events it would have substance. I figured the three of us (pimpy, me and Hotaru) being in the same place, that it would be of some interest to everyone
My point EXACTLY.
Old 03-02-02, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I figured the three of us (pimpy, me and Hotaru) being in the same place, that it would be of some interest to everyone
COuldn't you just email the 4 interested people instead?
Old 03-02-02, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by X
Please, have some fun. Just make it look different than an "Ask ..." thread so we don't get the angry "How come my thread was closed and so-and-so's wasn't?" email. And believe me, these are getting to be a pain and more ironic than you know.
I'm sure moderating these loonies is a tough job. But some communication I think would help in matters like this. I certainly wouldn't have started a thread that I would have anticipated being closed. I'm not one to start trouble in other.

As for having some fun, unfortunately I think that it's a bit too late for that tonight. I tried and failed because I didn't know any better...and to start a new thread now would just be stupid. And I truly apologize for putting you through so much trouble tonight.
Old 03-02-02, 01:18 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Originally posted by happycamper
I'm sure moderating these loonies is a tough job. But some communication I think would help in matters like this. I certainly wouldn't have started a thread that I would have anticipated being closed. I'm not one to start trouble in other.

As for having some fun, unfortunately I think that it's a bit too late for that tonight. I tried and failed because I didn't know any better...and to start a new thread now would just be stupid. And I truly apologize for putting you through so much trouble tonight.
You are right about the communication. At least I need to do a better job of it. And you didn't start any trouble. But the "couples" thing of ganging up on someone who has a less than wonderful interaction with one of the members of that couple is getting old.

I really am sorry to break up your fun. That was not my intention and you have no need to apologize. You did not "know any better" because you could not have. I need to apologize for that.

As for starting a new thread and that being "stupid", it's Other after all!
Old 03-02-02, 01:19 AM
Uber Member

Just popping in real quick to say two things:

1. Sometimes it's easier for us to just close a thread than to also post an explanation. Doing so can bump it to the top and we may rather it just fade into obscurity. Or it's a commonly closed item and we don't really think an explanation is necessary. And sometimes, we really just don't have time to compose the explanation.

2. If there isn't a reason given and you'd like one, you can use the report a post to a moderator feature either in that thread, or any other thread in the forum in question and you can quickly get a message sent to every mod in that forum. If they can't answer your question, then they can get a message to the 2 Admins who don't mod there and ask them.

This is really the better way to go as somethings are more easily explained via one to one email than in the more public forums.
Old 03-02-02, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by X
You are right about the communication. At least I need to do a better job of it. And you didn't start any trouble. But the "couples" thing of ganging up on someone who has a less than wonderful interaction with one of the members of that couple is getting old.

I really am sorry to break up your fun. That was not my intention and you have no need to apologize. You did not "know any better" because you could not have. I need to apologize for that.

As for starting a new thread and that being "stupid", it's Other after all!
Now that I know, it won't happen again.

But you're quote of the 'couples ganging up on someone' I don't quite get if you're referring to me and DTSC. Examples? And I don't quite see how it applies to this topic.
Old 03-02-02, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by X
But the "couples" thing of ganging up on someone who has a less than wonderful interaction with one of the members of that couple is getting old.
This thread would have been created had you done the same thing to any one of my 'good friends' on the board -- whether it be Deftones17, Happycamper, or whomever.

Actually, you want to know what's getting old? Whenever I voice my opinion in support of happycamper or she does the same in reverse, it's dismissed as a "couple" thing -- as if we don't have our own separate ideas, opinions, questions, etc. (and this is speaking generally, not directly at you)

If you want to believe that we're "ganging" up on you as a couple, then you're not as intelligent as I usually regard you to be.