Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Feedback > Forum Feedback and Support
Reload this Page >

Why was happy's thread closed?

Community
Search
Forum Feedback and Support Post forum feedback and related problems, here.

Why was happy's thread closed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-02, 12:32 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by happycamper
Yeah, I don't quite understand how the "ask jack/jules/hotaru thread" can stay open but not mine.

I must not be cool enough.

Hey, cool has nothing to do with it. If you look for that jack/jules/hotaru thread, you'll find that I closed it just as X closed this thread. Over time, the threads along the lines of "ask xxxx" have become too much like the personal commentary threads of old that we worked so hard to eliminate. Anyway, don't take it personally... we try to be "equal opportunity" when it comes to thread management.
Old 03-02-02, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by DTSC

No worries.

Are "association" threads of all kinds also not allowed now? Because frankly, there's a lot more to offer in any of the "ask" threads than will ever be offered in the "association" threads.
Those seem more like 'padding' threads than anything else. The 'ask' thread at least seemt to be somewhat entertaining and you may learn something about someone else in the meantime. But oh well.
Old 03-02-02, 12:34 AM
X
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts
Are "association" threads of all kinds also not allowed now? Because frankly, there's a lot more to offer in any of the "ask" threads than will ever be offered in the "association" threads.
We were kind of hoping the "association" threads were dying off. Moderators feel the same as you do about them.
Old 03-02-02, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Dead

Hey, cool has nothing to do with it. If you look for that jack/jules/hotaru thread, you'll find that I closed it just as X closed this thread. Over time, the threads along the lines of "ask xxxx" have become too much like the personal commentary threads of old that we worked so hard to eliminate. Anyway, don't take it personally... we try to be "equal opportunity" when it comes to thread management.
No, Dead, there is no reason listed as why that thread was closed, which is why there's confusion here. I'm sure if it was made apparent that there was a new rule to everyone (maybe a separate thread saying "Hey, no more "ask ..." threads") then happycamper's thread wouldn't have existed and had to be locked and we wouldn't even be wasting our time discussing it in this forum either.
Old 03-02-02, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Dead

Ok... I apologize. It just seemed that certain people could get away with threads like those when others couldn't. Upon checking, I did notice that that thread was closed. I was just trying to have some fun. Sorry.
Old 03-02-02, 12:36 AM
X
Administrator

The 'ask' thread at least seemt to be somewhat entertaining and you may learn something about someone else in the meantime. But oh well.
Would you just start another thread and make it a little less "attention whoring"?
Old 03-02-02, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...and we wouldn't even be wasting our time discussing it in this forum either.
Yeah, what the hell am I doing in this forum anyway???
Old 03-02-02, 12:37 AM
X
Administrator

It's so much fun when you do something to one person of a "couple". No wonder cops consider domestic disputes to be the most dangerous for them.
Old 03-02-02, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, what the hell am I doing in this forum anyway???
I don't know, but I tell you what -- X owes you a couple drinks sometime for being a buzzkill for you tonight.
Old 03-02-02, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by X
Would you just start another thread and make it a little less "attention whoring"?
Just to clarify...

Would a thread titled..."HEY!!! Look at some pics of me because I'm bored" be better?
Old 03-02-02, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I thought the mods made it pretty clear that drunken threads weren't cool along time ago. X also posted in one of the "ask" threads recently that enough was enough when he closed it. Oh and...

Old 03-02-02, 12:40 AM
Mod Emeritus

No, Dead, there is no reason listed as why that thread was closed, which is why there's confusion here.

Note that I said it was closed, not that there was a reason given for the closure. I specifically didn't make an additional post to that thread because it was falling from the top and I didn't want to force it back with an additional post. Simply put, I was hoping that I could close it and watch it fade away. And, if not for the events of tonight, it would have done so. But, you can't ever really know what's going to happen next... if I could go back in time, I assure you that I would make a post explaining why it was being closed!
Old 03-02-02, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by focker
I thought the mods made it pretty clear that drunken threads weren't cool along time ago. X also posted in one of the "ask" threads recently that enough was enough when he closed it. Oh and...

Well, I must have missed that post. Must not have been a 'sticky'.
Old 03-02-02, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

X--

DAMN_you for making me laugh in JCJF10's thread!!

Sorry folks. No more pics of HC to give you nightmares tonight. Ah well. Maybe some other time.
Old 03-02-02, 12:45 AM
Premium Member

Received 694 Likes on 464 Posts
[i]Originally posted by focker
Yup, that is pretty much what I was gonna post... Drunk Post=Sober Up Some First Before You Post...

and the "Ask 'blah' " posts have been done to death and don't ever seem to go anywhere...

Moo.
Old 03-02-02, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

X, how come you never start threads?
Old 03-02-02, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by The Cow

Yup, that is pretty much what I was gonna post... Drunk Post=Sober Up Some First Before You Post...

and the "Ask 'blah' " posts have been done to death and don't ever seem to go anywhere...

Moo.
Never said I was 'drunk' and I was trying to have some fun.
Old 03-02-02, 12:52 AM
X
Administrator

X, how come you never start threads?
I occasionally do, but moding pretty much eats up my time. However my threads tend not to attract much response and disappear quickly. You might search for some to see for yourself.
Old 03-02-02, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You might as well make a sticky thread about this issue in Other; as it is, people are liable to start complaining that there's only one up there right now.
Old 03-02-02, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by X
I occasionally do, but moding pretty much eats up my time. However my threads tend not to attract much response and disappear quickly. You might search for some to see for yourself.
You should try being interesting for once.

Old 03-02-02, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by X
I dunno, that attention whoring one from a week ago did pretty well.
Old 03-02-02, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Ok. well Didn't I get a warning last night for posting in the wrong forum.

Well i figured my thread was closed because the last response by me I was a bit tipsey on the drink at the time, and well the thread was pretty much dead. so why not just lock it up.

As for the sudden rush of padding.. Well I do post in the Movie Association threads at times. but yeah, I must agree, they really don't have much point other then padding since many times I notice it just going into a big big circle with names recycling.

I would agree with the ask threads, But sometimes if they are on special events it would have substance. I figured the three of us (pimpy, me and Hotaru) being in the same place, that it would be of some interest to everyone. but yeah, I can see how the typical "ask___" threads can get a bit on the heavy side. A note from the closing mod would be of help. I remember some time back when soup nazi was getting pissed off that mod's would close his threads and leave no form of reason, which lead to the phantom closings and the phantom deleting and all that other junk. a little note would be cool. well anyhow. thats all from me.
Old 03-02-02, 12:55 AM
X
Administrator

Never said I was 'drunk' and I was trying to have some fun.
Please, have some fun. Just make it look different than an "Ask ..." thread so we don't get the angry "How come my thread was closed and so-and-so's wasn't?" email. And believe me, these are getting to be a pain and more ironic than you know.
Old 03-02-02, 12:56 AM
X
Administrator

Originally posted by Aghama

I dunno, that attention whoring one from a week ago did pretty well.
I guess you didn't get it.
Old 03-02-02, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by X

I guess you didn't get it.
Nah, I "forgot" the

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.