Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 18th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-24, 04:02 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: The 18th Annual Academy Award Movie Challenge Discussion Thread

Watched Being There for the first time. It was a delightful movie, and Seller's was absolutely brilliant. And it was a nice bonus to see some of it was filmed at the Biltmore here in Asheville.
The following 5 users liked this post by Indy24LA:
Gobear (03-01-24), Mao (02-22-24), pacaway (02-24-24), shadokitty (02-24-24), story (02-24-24)
Old 02-23-24, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 486 Likes on 322 Posts

Watched my choice of snubbed film. Crumb, snubbed for Best Documentary. it got me wondering, is there a category that brings out more controversy than Best Documentary? From popular films being snubbed (Hoop Dreams, The Thin Blue Line, Roger & Me), to movies like One Day In September taking advantage of the rule that only people who have seen all five nominees can vote, by refusing to screen the film so that they shrink the voting pool to people of their choice.
Old 02-24-24, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by story
Glad to see you posting, pacaway!
SAME!!! And I agree with Dave being a great story. The question is "Is Dave better than Groundhog Day?"
The following users liked this post:
story (02-24-24)
Old 02-24-24, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Though it doesn't count as a snub because it was nominated for two Oscars, I still think Do The Right Thing should have been nominated for Best Picture. I'd gladly trade the eventual winner, Driving Miss Daisy, for a nod to DTRT. I would have liked it if any of the other nominees in the category would have won: Born on the Fourth of July, Dead Poet's Society, Field of Dreams, and My Left Foot instead.

For actual subs, my choice this year is Don Cheadle for Best Supporting Actor in Devil in a Blue Dress. Cheadle was great in the film and damn near stole the film from Denzel Washington. The winner that year was Kevin Spacey for The Usual Suspects. The other noms went to James Cromwell for Babe, Ed Harris for Apollo 13, Brad Pitt for 12 Monkeys, and Tim Roth for Rob Roy.
The following 2 users liked this post by lisadoris:
Mao (02-24-24), pacaway (02-25-24)
Old 02-24-24, 03:21 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

lisadoris, I'm just on pins and needles waiting to see what your #100 is, lol

I'm old school and don;t have a VPN...does anyone have an online resource for "To Kill A Tiger"? I don't expect it to win, but it is currently the only feature I don't have access to?
Old 02-24-24, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mao
lisadoris, I'm just on pins and needles waiting to see what your #100 is, lol
It's my snub film Devil in a Blue Dress. Tomorrow I'm going to wrap things up with Bull Durham in honor of Spring Training.
Old 02-24-24, 05:34 PM
Mao

Wrap things up?

Are you done??
Old 02-25-24, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mao
Wrap things up?

Are you done??
Gonna take a short break before the Action/Adventure Challenge starts but there will be some overlap. Don't worry, I won't be an absentee Challenge runner. Y'all can't get rid of me that easily.
Old 02-25-24, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by popcorn
SAME!!! And I agree with Dave being a great story. The question is "Is Dave better than Groundhog Day?"
I guess "giving the boot" just sounded harsh! LOL. I would want them both nominated.
Old 02-25-24, 04:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mao
I'm old school and don't have a VPN...does anyone have an online resource for "To Kill A Tiger"? I don't expect it to win, but it is currently the only feature I don't have access to?
I'm lucky enough to be in Canada and have access to it. The title I can't get this year is Four Daughters. It played at our international film festival (for which I was even a previewer) but missed it at the last minute because of another film that played at the same time that was made in my hometown. Sure enough, it gets a nomination! Even though it's available on iTunes in the US, that is not the case here .
Old 02-25-24, 12:53 PM
Mao

Originally Posted by pacaway
I'm lucky enough to be in Canada and have access to it. The title I can't get this year is Four Daughters. It played at our international film festival (for which I was even a previewer) but missed it at the last minute because of another film that played at the same time that was made in my hometown. Sure enough, it gets a nomination! Even though it's available on iTunes in the US, that is not the case here .
Hope TKAT will show up at the last minute for streaming on some platform!

So, no access to any or the other resources: https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/four-daughters-2023

I watched it for free with the free 7 day Kino trial...I thought it was...okay...
Old 02-25-24, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mao
Hope TKAT will show up at the last minute for streaming on some platform!

So, no access to any or the other resources: https://www.justwatch.com/us/movie/four-daughters-2023

I watched it for free with the free 7 day Kino trial...I thought it was...okay...
Yes, unfortunately, ALL of those sources disappear in Canada... https://www.justwatch.com/ca/movie/four-daughters-2023

Old 02-27-24, 07:30 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Remember that the Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge starts in a few hours, so potential double or triple Challenge credit will be active soon.
shadokitty (02-27-24)
Old 02-27-24, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Even as a long time Rocky fan growing up, I had never seen Creed or any of its sequels. I remedied that this afternoon, and wow. It was very good. I particularly thought Rocky’s appearance was a very nice tribute to the recently deceased Carl Weathers (RIP).

Last night I had my first accidental watch. Was just channel surfing and came across Them on TCM while just generally looking for a good movie to watch.
The following 2 users liked this post by shadokitty:
lisadoris (02-28-24), pacaway (02-28-24)
Old 02-28-24, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Even as a long time Rocky fan growing up, I had never seen Creed or any of its sequels. I remedied that this afternoon, and wow. It was very good. I particularly thought Rocky’s appearance was a very nice tribute to the recently deceased Carl Weathers (RIP).

Last night I had my first accidental watch. Was just channel surfing and came across Them on TCM while just generally looking for a good movie to watch.
Them! is playing at a theatre here tomorrow night! Must be recently restored
shadokitty (02-28-24)
Old 02-28-24, 08:28 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Starting at dusk tonight (the 28th) until dawn on March the 1st, there will be a ~36 hour crossover period where at least two different films, The Sword in the Stone (1963) and The Time Machine (1960), will count for quadruple Challenge credit.

These two films would count for February’s Romance/Musical Challenge, March’s Action/Adventure Challenge, the Quadrennial Leap Day Challenge, and the floating Academy Award Challenge. Don’t miss this chance to be part of DVDTalk history!
lisadoris (02-28-24)
Old 02-28-24, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm down to only 3 films left to see for this year's nominees, Four Daughters (which I discussed earlier, and have no access to), Napoleon, which I believe hits AppleTV+ on March 1st, and Nyad, currently on Netflix. Should be done by the end of this week and can move on to a few more I missed in previous years.
Old 02-28-24, 03:10 PM
Mao

I'm down to only 3 films left to see for this year's nominees, Four Daughters (which I discussed earlier, and have no access to), Napoleon, which I believe hits AppleTV+ on March 1st, and Nyad, currently on Netflix. Should be done by the end of this week and can move on to a few more I missed in previous years.
And I'm down to 3 features to screen (plus all the shorts next week) from this year's noms: To Kill A Tiger (Netflix grabbed the rights to it this week and I'm sure it won't be up anytime soon - though it is the least likely to win), then The Boy And The Heron and Io Capitano, both of which I have access to...

Last year it was one short, this year it's one feature...
Old 02-28-24, 06:23 PM
Mao

Also, Poor Things coming to Hulu March 7th.
Old 02-29-24, 04:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mao
And I'm down to 3 features to screen (plus all the shorts next week) from this year's noms: To Kill A Tiger (Netflix grabbed the rights to it this week and I'm sure it won't be up anytime soon - though it is the least likely to win), then The Boy And The Heron and Io Capitano, both of which I have access to...

Last year it was one short, this year it's one feature...
I wasn't the biggest fan of tBatH, likely because I saw the English dubbed version, but IC was very good and very eye-opening. As for missing a short, I find if you don't get to see the theatrical presentations, created by ShortsTV, it can be almost impossible to find them all. I'm still searching for Body Team 12 from the 2016 slate.

On another note, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed Nyad, which I watched last night. Both actresses were deserving of their nominations, but so were many other actresses who didn't make the list this year. Unfortunately it was a stacked year for the ladies.

Last edited by pacaway; 02-29-24 at 08:30 AM.
Old 03-02-24, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there any validity for counting Dune Part Two as a wild card? I've got my ticket for Sunday.
Old 03-02-24, 03:24 PM
Mao

Two more live action shorts are available again, one for free and one a rental: see my updated post above. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/6...l#post14378545)

By Friday of next week, 32 out of the 38 nominated features will be available in some way to see at home here in the U.S.

Of the shorts, 12 of 15 are available, as well.

Last edited by Mao; 03-02-24 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-03-24, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is there any validity for counting Dune Part Two as a wild card? I've got my ticket for Sunday.
Yeah I don't think so. I'm sure you'll be able to use it for next year's Challenge.
Old 03-03-24, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lisadoris
Yeah I don't think so. I'm sure you'll be able to use it for next year's Challenge.
Ya, it was wishful thinking. I hate watching stuff I can't count! Being able to count it next year is some consolation, I guess. Plus it was a reason to rewatch Part One, and it looked and sounded great off my 4K disc!
Old 03-03-24, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow! I left a couple of really good films to the end this year! Nyad and Napoleon were both much better than I expected! I hate that Ridley is so hit and miss, but this one is a definite hit and I'm glad I saw it! It had a great score that didn't get a nomination, unfortunately. Like a few of the other nominees, the special effects were seamless and it really could win for production design. My guess is no wins though, just because of the heavy competition in its categories. Fully deserving of the nominations though, and probably a few it didn't get.

That leaves me with only Four Daughters left. I'll have to pull off some magic to see that before next weekend. Maybe I need to make a road trip to Montana, lol!
Mao (03-04-24)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.