Old 08-05-22, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 367 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: The 15th Annual Sci-fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Hobbit 1 Digital Copy:
Spoiler:
MT9BTMM322TV

The following 4 users liked this post by SterlingBen:
davidh777 (08-05-22), Gobear (08-05-22), LJG765 (08-05-22), shadokitty (08-05-22)
Old 08-05-22, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 201 Likes on 153 Posts

I don’t need it. But I wanted to applaud what you are doing. I already have all 6 movies. Should give them a rewatch soon. Perhaps a night that I don’t feel like animation.
Old 08-05-22, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 122 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I don’t need it. But I wanted to applaud what you are doing. I already have all 6 movies. Should give them a rewatch soon. Perhaps a night that I don’t feel like animation.
Ditto! That was nice of you to throw out there, SterlingBen!

Also, shadokitty, the Hobbit movies have a ton of CGI, so they'd count for the animation challenge, especially the CGI mark for the checklist. Especially the Smaug ones.
Old 08-05-22, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 262 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Hobbit 1 Digital Copy:
Spoiler:
MT9BTMM322TV

Thanks! I look forward to watching it!
Old 08-05-22, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,160 Likes on 951 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
This is a little off topic, but I'm the host, so I give myself permission. I don't know if anyone has heard of Sporcle, but it's a website where you take quizzes. There's thousands of them of all different types. Sports, books, science, literature, many others including entertainment (movies and tv shows).There's a creator who made a sci-fi movie quiz list. Most of them are concerning 1950s Sci-fi movies but there are a few others that are more general. The few I've played have been fun to do if you're looking for a bit of a time waste. You can find the list here.
Site is free, you don't even have to sign in to play the quizzes but your stats don't save unless you create a log in.
My kids and I used to do Sporcle quizzes (“Name every song on Taylor Swift’s Red!”) and I was recently wondering if it still existed. Glad it does.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Spent the last several days binging Stranger Things from the beginning. Working today, so won’t finish season four for this Challenge. But I won’t be waiting until next July to finish it, fun show!
You can count it in October!

Last edited by davidh777; 08-05-22 at 05:50 PM.
Old 08-05-22, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
My kids and I used to do Sporcle quizzes (“Name every song on Taylor Swift’s Red!” and I was recently wondering if it still existed. Glad it does.
It does! I probably play a quiz or two every day. I've recommended it for students trying to learn geography, but I enjoy their entertainment quizzes, both movie and tv, especially.
The following users liked this post:
davidh777 (08-05-22)
Old 08-05-22, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 199 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
This is a little off topic, but I'm the host, so I give myself permission. I don't know if anyone has heard of Sporcle, but it's a website where you take quizzes. There's thousands of them of all different types. Sports, books, science, literature, many others including entertainment (movies and tv shows).There's a creator who made a sci-fi movie quiz list. Most of them are concerning 1950s Sci-fi movies but there are a few others that are more general. The few I've played have been fun to do if you're looking for a bit of a time waste. You can find the list here.
Site is free, you don't even have to sign in to play the quizzes but your stats don't save unless you create a log in.
Thanks for this ... I'm a lot better at these than I am the framed screenshot games (where even when it's a movie I know well, it usually takes me until the last couple of images where they actually show the stars).

My list is done, small and minimal as it is. As I posted before, this just wasn't the month for me to watch lots of movies and tv. Starting in late June, I spent about a month traveling with the first 3 weeks in Europe where I didn't watch a thing. Thankfully I left just before the 100+ degree heat wave which sounds like it was awful (especially since most rooms don't have air conditioning or window screens to keep bugs out).
Old 08-15-22, 11:43 PM

Just wanted to wrap up the 2022 Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy thread!

This year we had (including myself) 30 participants, one less than last year. However, in 2022, we had 2,015 total watches compared to 1,787 last year! That means we all averaged 65 watches/person (57.6 last year). Not too shabby!

We had 9 people start the checklist, one less than last year but 5 people completed it compared to only 4 in 2021. This year we also had 2 people come very close to finishing as well. Both last year and this year we had one person black the checklist out! tarfrimmer completed it fully both years!

Also, because of all the Star Trek talk this year, I went through and counted who watched the series and there were 14 of us who watched at least one episode or movie of Trek this year. That was almost half of us!

Congratulations to all the participants to a very good year!
The following 5 users liked this post by LJG765:
BobO'Link (08-16-22), Fist of Doom Jr (08-16-22), HyperWeather (08-19-22), orlmac (08-17-22), tarfrimmer (08-16-22)