Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 17: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 07-10-21, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Checklist Construction is currently underway.

Theme Suggestions are on post 6.

Take the poll on post 12.

Subset volunteers needed: 0

IMDB advanced title search

Horror Films by year starting 1895

Print Wikipost

Pre-Horror Challenge 17: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Old 07-12-21, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 258 Likes on 114 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 17: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Originally Posted by Darkgod View Post
saw in Fangoria that There were 4 big werewolf films released in 1981... so i figured we could suggest one for the werwolf theme.... except three of them were already used... The Howling, AWIL, and Wolfen... that leaves Full Moon High. I never seen it, so i don't know if its any good.
I've seen it and don't remember a damn thing about it, other than Adam and Alan Arkin are both in it. I honestly don't know if it's because I have a terrible memory or it's just a forgettable film.

Speaking of which, looks like the full moon falls on vampire day (10/20) this year.

Last edited by Chad; 07-12-21 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-12-21, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 17: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Instead of waiting until the checklist prep starts, I wanted to go ahead and bring up this issue that was addressed in the comments thread so everyone will have adequate time to get their say in.

Should the 'optional' items be removed from the checklist?

a) Yes.
b) No.
c) Other.
Also don't forget to take the other poll on post 12 if you haven't.
Old 07-12-21, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 111 Likes on 76 Posts

Yea, I think giallo deserves it’s own category. They are great, but I’m such a huge fan of slashers, I will always choose one over a giallo on that particular theme night.
Old 07-13-21, 08:10 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

It's been like the Day of the Animals around here the past month. Last week authorities caught a zebra cobra that had been unaccounted for since November. It seems the owner didn't alert anyone until 2 weeks ago. The same owner was admitted about 2 months ago to the hospital suffering from a green mamba bite. There was also a bunch of wolf hybrids that escaped a local enclosure and 4 are still missing. Crazy stuff!
Old 07-13-21, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Instead of waiting until the checklist prep starts, I wanted to go ahead and bring up this issue that was addressed in the comments thread so everyone will have adequate time to get their say in.

Also don't forget to take the other poll on post 12 if you haven't.
A. YES to separation, gialli are so distinct a genre that they deserve their own night
B. YES, remove the optional items.
Old 07-13-21, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like an In Search of Darkness Part III announcement is coming soon.

I'm holding off until the challenge to watch part 2. Oddly enough we've only covered a documentary theme once and that was all the way back in 2009. Just throwing that out there.
Old 07-14-21, 06:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes to separating Gialli.

I am indifferent to the optional question.
Old 07-14-21, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 270 Likes on 207 Posts

Hey, look at this. I'm here before all the planning has been completed this year! Woo hoo! Oh, I'm also good for a subset pick.
Old 07-14-21, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Subset interested here.
Old 07-14-21, 11:35 AM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I would like to throw out there for a theme suggestion, a poster designed by Artist Enzo Sciotti who died this year.
Old 07-14-21, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Full Moon High sucks, I recommend against it being a subset (Excerpt from my 2018 review: "Overall though the attempts at levity are more annoying that humorous. (2/5)"

Vote to separate Gialli from slashers. Vote to keep optional but make sure they are at the end of the list.

RE: ISODIII Fool me twice shame on me, no way I am falling for that a third time (buying it I mean).

Shudder: When is the best time to sub, price wise?

Theme suggestion: Trailer reel?, Released by who? (small time disc company like Scream Team Releasing or Garagehouse Pictures), Worst from the Best (Worst movie from otherwise known horror director (Ghost of Mars?)), Mummies (could do both Egyptian and killer moms), In Name Only Sequels.

Last edited by SterlingBen; 07-14-21 at 03:01 PM.
Old 07-14-21, 08:37 PM

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I don't see any reason to remove the optional items as long as they are at the end of the list. I vote yes to separating out giallo, it does deserve to be different from slasher films.
Old 07-14-21, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WillieMLF View Post
I would like to throw out there for a theme suggestion, a poster designed by Artist Enzo Sciotti who died this year.
I was happy to see one of my favorites of his being used for the upcoming Near Dark UHD from StudioCanal. That is light years ahead of the last Twilight inspired cover. Used some of his poster art on a few of the banners, too.

https://www.cinematerial.com/artists/enzo-sciotti-i151
Old 07-14-21, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by SterlingBen View Post
Theme suggestion: Trailer reel?, Released by who? (small time disc company like Scream Team Releasing or Garagehouse Pictures), Worst from the Best (Worst movie from otherwise known horror director (Ghost of Mars?)), Mummies (could do both Egyptian and killer moms), In Name Only Sequels.
You must be reading my mind as I've been working on the first and last of those. Was thinking of doing a combo theme for trailer comps, but that's as far as that got. No idea what to pair it with.

The Carpenter 'apocalypse trilogy' prompted this one...

Unofficial Horror Sequels & Trilogies:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...l_sequel_films (21 titles)
https://www.ranker.com/list/unoffici...els/jodi-smith (15 titles)
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls00389728..._=ttls_ref_gnr JJ (14 titles)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Casa_(film_series) (7 titles) (57 total titles)

EDIT: I misread that last one, those are two completely different things. Here's a list of...

In Name Only Sequels:
https://www.imdb.com/list/ls06270849..._=ttls_ref_gnr (48 titles)

Both added to post 6.

Last edited by Chad; 07-14-21 at 09:37 PM.
Old 07-14-21, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We're down to 18 spots.

Another reminder all the suggestions are on post 10. I'll eventually get to them all sooner or later.
Old 07-15-21, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Vote to separate Giallo. Always seemed like almost an entire different genre to me. As stated previously, as long as it is kept at the end of the list, I donít see the harm of keeping the optional items. After all, they are optional.
Old 07-16-21, 09:26 AM

Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I noticed that Shudder has been sponsoring a lot of YouTube videos lately. Maybe they'd be willing to sponsor the horror challenge.
Old 07-16-21, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
I noticed that Shudder has been sponsoring a lot of YouTube videos lately. Maybe they'd be willing to sponsor the horror challenge.
I'll be happy to give it a shot.
Old 07-17-21, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coyoteblue View Post
How about a 'malevolent machine' theme night. That covers a lot of territory. Off the top of my head --

Kronos (1957)
Saturn 3 (1980)
Hardware (1990)
Colosus: The Forbin Project (1970)
Maximum Overdrive (1986)
The Car (1977)
The Lift (1983)
Gog (1954)
Demon Seed (1977)
Killdozer (1974)
Laserblast (1987)
Christine (1983)
The Mangler (1995)

Odd that I couldn't think of anything from the Sixties...plenty to choose from this century too.
Looks like we've covered that in 2012 with Killer Robots / Evil Technology, so can't go on the new suggestions list, but it can always come back as a returning theme. The latter link's a dead one and working on finding something there, BTW.
Old 07-17-21, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Another off the comments thread. In the past I compiled a list of Shudder originals that never made it onto the suggestions list for whatever reason. Good thing I screwed that up as this one's much better and the list has practically doubled since...

Streaming Originals & Exclusives:
Shudder Originals & Exclusives - https://letterboxd.com/henry_parker/...usives/detail/ (138 titles)
Shudder Originals Only - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...al_programming (49 titles included in the above)
Netflix Originals - https://letterboxd.com/randommr411/l.../genre/horror/ (27 titles)
Amazon Originals - https://letterboxd.com/raggedyryan/l.../genre/horror/ (9 titles)
HBO Max Originals - https://letterboxd.com/twenty8se7en/.../genre/horror/ (1 title) (175 total titles)

For Shudder I included both the originals and exclusives. If you'd prefer to keep the list "pure" with originals only let me know. Just be aware that would omit 89 off the list and titles such as One Cut of the Dead would not be included.

Any other services to add?
Old 07-17-21, 04:49 PM

Received 305 Likes on 217 Posts

I'll be happy to give it a shot.
You might also want to try Arrow. They've been very active on social media promoting their streaming service.

https://www.arrow-player.com/

https://letterboxd.com/arrowplayer/
https://twitter.com/ARROW_Player

Maybe an Arrow or Shudder theme day, and they can do the subset pick. In return, maybe they can give us a shout out on their social media and a free month promo code. Or something like that.
The following users liked this post:
Chad (07-18-21)
Old 07-17-21, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Regarding the idea of malevolent machines, I saw this morning while browsing Tubi, that Saturn 3 is available to watch on there.
Old 07-17-21, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Shameless plug. Im at the Mahoning Drive in for Joe Bobs Jamboree. Drinking my lone star.

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZMdgQGUeM/
The following 2 users liked this post by Darkgod:
Chad (07-17-21), T-bone22 (07-17-21)
Old 07-18-21, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Looks like we've covered that in 2012 with Killer Robots / Evil Technology, so can't go on the new suggestions list, but it can always come back as a returning theme. The latter link's a dead one and working on finding something there, BTW.
Scratch that. Looking back I'm not 100% certain the latter link covered machines specifically, so I'll put it on the new suggestions list and probably pair up it up with killer robots, that is, if it doesn't provide enough on its own. If I can't find a link that isn't heavy on the internet-related horror we'll just have to continue compiling it ourselves. IMDB keywords are no help, but did contribute I Bought a Vampire Motorcycle and Galaxy of Horrors (2017).
Old 07-18-21, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by clckworang View Post
Possible theme idea for next year. Have we done something like it's all in a name - movies with a person's name in the title? You definitely have a ton in the franchises with Annabelle, Freddy, Jason, Victor Crawley, Chucky, Michael Myers. Then you have movies like Christine, May, Otis, Jacob's Ladder, Valerie and Her Week of Wonders, What Have You Done to Solange, Rosemary's Baby. Just an idea.
IMDB keyword search sort of came through with this one but there's definitely more...

https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/...&genres=Horror (71 titles)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.