Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

14th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-21, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: 14th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Alright, the checklist is finalized! You can find it at the top of the post and in the list thread.

List thread is live here. Enjoy your planning!
Old 06-21-21, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I too have been itching to start. Kind of watched some sci fi yesterday without realizing it. I’ve been watching the special features on an aviation blu ray I bought at Oshkosh one year, and one of the videos in the partner videos section was a short film about Airbus and their concept plane. A lot of future tech was discussed. I was also close to watching some Xena a couple days ago, but decided on Blue Planet instead. I’ve also been thinking about Transformers a lot, along with my other animated sci fi series. Plus most nights I listen to an episode of Coast to Coast AM.
Old 06-21-21, 06:09 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Does anyone have ay suggestions for the category "Watch a film about a LGBTQ+ person/topic or about POC/other minority groups". I know the movie "Meet the Blacks" would qualify but I was hoping for a variety to choose from. I was wrong, Meet the Blacks is just horror, I don't have any to choose from.
Old 06-21-21, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
Does anyone have ay suggestions for the category "Watch a film about a LGBTQ+ person/topic or about POC/other minority groups". I know the movie "Meet the Blacks" would qualify but I was hoping for a variety to choose from. I was wrong, Meet the Blacks is just horror, I don't have any to choose from.
Some starting places:

Afrofuturism, a list of 67 films curated on Letterboxd by user Peter H.
LGBT-related science fiction films - Wikipedia category
The following 2 users liked this post by Travis McClain:
lisadoris (06-26-21), shellebelle (06-24-21)
Old 06-21-21, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
If I remember correctly, you have gone through the Superman set at least once before. I know you're a completest, but maybe go back and forth between the set and your unwatched pile? Best of both worlds?

I have to admit to not really prepping. I'm not even sure I'll get some watches in right away since I'll be away from home, but I do have Disney+ and access to many, many movies through Vudu, so do have some options if I have time. I'm liking the revamped checklist myself. I've been wanting to pare down the actors list for a couple years now and while it's still on the larger side, it feels a bit more streamed-lined.
I went through the DVD box set a few years ago. Good memory! The Blu-ray box includes some stuff that wasn't in that set, though, so there'd be new content for me. Plus, I've just kinda been thinking about that series lately. And of course you know me too well to think I'd be content to go back and forth between things. I eat my meals one food at a time!
Old 06-22-21, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks, Travis for those links! I am officially on vacation now so will be checking in only once a day or so at night. I apologize ahead of time if I am slow to respond.

Gotcha, I also remember, Travis, you love to go through all the content and with new stuff, I can see the appeal. Sounds like you're in the mood for Superman, so I'd go with that. I know when I am in the mood for something, nothing else will work. I've ended up not watching anything because I talk myself out of what I want to see because it is a rewatch and I feel like I should be watching new stuff...
Old 06-22-21, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I got a package of DVDs in the mail today with movies that I plan to watch next month. Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Terminator 3, and a four movie pack of fantasy movies. Most are low budget, but that never bothered me anyway, plus the fourth movie is one I know and always loved, Beastmaster.
The following users liked this post:
LJG765 (06-22-21)
Old 06-23-21, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I got a package of DVDs in the mail today with movies that I plan to watch next month. Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Terminator 3, and a four movie pack of fantasy movies. Most are low budget, but that never bothered me anyway, plus the fourth movie is one I know and always loved, Beastmaster.
Sounds like you're prepared! Beastmaster is always a fun watch...
Old 06-23-21, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
I wouldn't think in this, of all challenges, where half the participants annually just re-watch Star Trek of all things.
Psst, nobody tell Travis that I’m planning to use the challenge to continue my complete ST franchise watch. Nine seasons in and counting (taking a bit of a break in June). I haven’t seen all of these seasons, though, so it’s not really an annual rewatch.
Old 06-23-21, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm thinking about watching the MCU Phase 1 movies or maybe four or five in chronological order (Captain America: The First Avenger, Captain Marvel, Iron Man...).
Old 06-27-21, 09:36 PM

I'm getting real antsy. When I spend days getting all the movies togather it is really hard to hold off until dusk on Wednesday. And it comes so late here (around 9:50) that I am getting very frustrated but I am holding off on watching any. I just caught my wife randomly watching The Happening which is on my list so had to stop her. It's great that she will watch with me but she randomly watches stuff I am planning on watching which is a pain. But only three more days to wait!
Old 06-27-21, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I'm getting real antsy. When I spend days getting all the movies togather it is really hard to hold off until dusk on Wednesday. And it comes so late here (around 9:50) that I am getting very frustrated but I am holding off on watching any. I just caught my wife randomly watching The Happening which is on my list so had to stop her. It's great that she will watch with me but she randomly watches stuff I am planning on watching which is a pain. But only three more days to wait!
Way to keep her in line!
Old 06-28-21, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
Psst, nobody tell Travis that I’m planning to use the challenge to continue my complete ST franchise watch. Nine seasons in and counting (taking a bit of a break in June). I haven’t seen all of these seasons, though, so it’s not really an annual rewatch.
I know Travis loves his Trek...pretty sure he meant something a little different.

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
I'm thinking about watching the MCU Phase 1 movies or maybe four or five in chronological order (Captain America: The First Avenger, Captain Marvel, Iron Man...).
My two MCU favs are Captain America and the first Avengers myself. But all the “originals” are good!

You think 9:30 is late? Ha! I am in Alaska till the 6th. I believe dusk is at 1:40 am! It's almost twelve right now for me and it's still quite bright out.

Just finished watching Wonder Woman with my friends. We're prepping for all our first watches of the sequel. We'll have to see if I can get them to wait until the 1st so I can count it...lol! Probably not, but it is def. making me ready to start watching!

Hope everyone is getting enough prep time and looking forward to starting!
Old 06-28-21, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just the other night I dug out my box set of The Transformers complete series set, and watched the first episode of the first mini series. I was feeling antsy about waiting to watch some sci fi myself.
Old 06-29-21, 01:50 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I got my first three rentals from Netflix the other day for the challenge. It was very hard not to start watching them. I think this will be the first year that I am not watching the Universal Monsters for this challenge. They are my favorite and I can probably watch them weekly, but figured it's time to stray from the usual stuff. The checklist has really made me branch out in a few things. I can't wait for this to start tomorrow!
Old 06-30-21, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Snuck in a little sci fi this afternoon to tide me over till tonight. I normally listen to Coast to Coast AM every day, and just finished an episode from the Art Bell Vault.
Old 06-30-21, 08:44 PM

Only 5 more minutes until I can start, Woo-Hoo!
Old 06-30-21, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shellebelle
I got my first three rentals from Netflix the other day for the challenge. It was very hard not to start watching them. I think this will be the first year that I am not watching the Universal Monsters for this challenge. They are my favorite and I can probably watch them weekly, but figured it's time to stray from the usual stuff. The checklist has really made me branch out in a few things. I can't wait for this to start tomorrow!
Those are good films. But watching new stuff is fun too! You could always sneak a watch or two in of the Universal Monsters if you miss them too much!

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Snuck in a little sci fi this afternoon to tide me over till tonight. I normally listen to Coast to Coast AM every day, and just finished an episode from the Art Bell Vault.
Sounds good, hope you enjoy the start of the challenge!

Only 5 more minutes until I can start, Woo-Hoo!
Have a good challenge! It's 7 pm here and I have to wait until 1:40 for dusk here so I won't be starting tonight! Lol!

Have a good challenge, everybody!
Old 07-01-21, 08:06 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Kicked things off with season one of Falling Skies. Basically a drama under the backdrop of an alien invasion. I wonder how "involved" steven spielberg was on this project? I don't see his finger prints on the show.
Old 07-01-21, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I pretty much stuck with animation last night. I watched a couple shows on Adult Swim, American Dad and Rick And Morty ​​​​​​. After that I was browsing YouTube and saw a History of Robotech documentary and watched the first two parts. The first part was mostly about the Macross Saga, with Part 2 covering mostly the Southern Cross and Invid sagas. Not sure what would be in Part 3, but I’m interested in watching it.
Old 07-01-21, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Every month is sci-fi and fantasy watching month for me. In fact I probably watch less in July than most months since I'm typically traveling this time of year. Although I usually make a dent in a series that I've been looking to watch. This year I'm revisiting Space: 1999. I remember watching it when it first aired and the Blu Ray set hit an all-time low price during the last Amazon Prime Day sale, so I picked it up.

I'm a couple of episodes in. It's been so long since I've seen it that it feels like a first time view. I didn't remember anything except the general look and music. Airing a couple of years before Star Wars, it has a very different feel than late 70s sci-fi shows. Also, it feels like the British production it was instead of what normally would air in the US. 2001 seems like a big influence on the tone and visuals. So far there's no attempt to appeal to children. The show is essentially humorless and the main cast are all mid-40s and older. The funky theme is very much at odds with everything else that follows. The opening credits does a cool thing where they show "This Episode" spliced with snippets of scenes that make it seem like the episode is going to be action packed when it ends up being anything but (video spoiler-hidden for size):
Spoiler:

Although Martin Landau seems like he'd be a good leading man, his character has been a bit of a stiff in the first couple of episodes. Despite the limits of special effects technology, it's a beautiful looking show. Despite aiming for a more adult audience, the science is very weak. Just the premise of the show makes no sense: an accident on the moon blasts it out of the solar system, and every week they pass by a new alien planet (just like it was a space ship that could easily travel around).
Old 07-01-21, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
So far there's no attempt to appeal to children.
Wait for series 2. No, wait, that's not fair. It was really re-jiggered for American tastes. Hmmmm...the original point stands, after all.
Old 07-01-21, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Wait for series 2. No, wait, that's not fair. It was really re-jiggered for American tastes. Hmmmm...the original point stands, after all.
Yeah, I've heard from a number of different people (and they all seem to say it wasn't a change for the better). I'm sure my grade-school aged self thought that was when show started getting cool!
Old 07-01-21, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

So I started this challenge with the first two Blade films - I don't acknowledge that the third film exists. Anyway, there's something about the second film that I've never understood so maybe y'all can explain it to me.
Spoiler:
So I have never understood why Nomak killed Nyssa. When she locks them in, Damaskinos tells her that Nomak will kill them both. But why? Nysaa didn't have anything to do with her father's science project. She didn't even know what was going on and Damaskinos literally said that Nyssa was expendable. After Nomak merks their father, Nysaa serves herself up and tells Nomak to close the circle. Again, why? Her death was pointless and Nomak didn't even do her a solid by not turning her. I just don't understand.

Old 07-01-21, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I started with the 2012 remake of Total Recall. Meh. Does *anyone* know how to make a movie (or TV series for that matter) any more that *doesn't* have wall-to-wall music attempting to create tension and drama where little to none exists? I don't recall a single second of silence in this movie. It was also nothing but action sequences strung together with half baked, poorly scripted, talking segments. This has little of the drama and plotting that made the original a decent film. And that "elevator" sequence makes the overblown elevators in Star Trek: Discovery look tame. Just *where* are the interiors that hold this massively space wasting contraption? It's another of those lame vfx sequences that exist solely to show off the cgi and nothing else. I'm really glad I purchased a very inexpensive used copy of this one...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.